PDA

View Full Version : Autobiography - "Wings On My Sleeve"

rgatkinson
June 2nd, 2014, 15:31
I recently stumbled across a copy of this book which details the life and exploits of Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown of the Royal Navy Air Service. ISBN-10: 0753822091 or ISBN-13: 978-0753822098

It put me in mind of R.A. "Bob" Hoover's autobiography "Forever Flying" which I have also read.

I thoroughly enjoyed "Wings On My Sleeve" and have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone seeking an entertaining and informative read.

Regards,

Taff.

hubbabubba
June 3rd, 2014, 09:21
Let me second that with two thumbs up! :encouragement::encouragement:

Just so you understand a bit about this living legend;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_flown_by_Eric_%22Winkle%22_Brown

Motormouse
June 3rd, 2014, 10:08
Search BBC iplayer (if you have access) 'Britain's Greatest Pilot' , Capt Brown's story in his own words, broadcast on BBC 2 only a couple of days ago.

ttfn

Pete

Edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b045pbq2/britains-greatest-pilot-the-extraordinary-story-of-captain-winkle-brown

SW
June 3rd, 2014, 11:50
I recently stumbled across a copy of this book which details the life and exploits of Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown of the Royal Navy Air Service. ISBN-10: 0753822091 or ISBN-13: 978-0753822098

I thoroughly enjoyed "Wings On My Sleeve" and have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone seeking an entertaining and informative read.

I had the honour to meet Capt. Brown a couple of years back at the Shuttleworth Collection. He'd just given a lecture/talk on his experiences and was very kindly (and happily) signing copies of his books that people had brought along, including mine.

I too can thoroughly recommend the above book and also the TV show (which was only able to cover some of his experiences in the time allowed).

The bloke is a genuine legend, I've sometimes wondered who in authority he p****d off, otherwise surely he would be Sir Eric?

Cheers,

Steve