PDA

View Full Version : Two questions...

SH427
May 28th, 2014, 18:49
Okay. As the title states I have two quick (hopefully painless) questions regarding two Vietnam-Era aircraft.

1. I have the alphasim (back when it was alphasim) F-105, and the modification to the flight dynamics posted in the download area re-sparked my interest in the venerable Thud. My first question is if there are any further mods and odds and ends that would turn this plane into a truly awesome plane to putt around in (circa the C9 F-4 portover mods) or am I left with the current mod that still makes the aircraft enjoyable.

2. I also have the Carenado 337 Skymaster. The flight model is awesome ( I plan on owning a 337 or O-2 later on) and the O-2 skins, while limited, are superb. The only problem I have with it is the cosmetic differences between the 337 and O-2, e.g. extra windows, the lack of prop spinner covers, and the underwing stores. I know the FSD O-2 exists, but since it's originally for 9, I'm not sure how well it ports over. Is it worth dropping the extra dinero for the FSD model or is it better holding onto the Carenado and suffering?

mirage3
May 29th, 2014, 01:45
I don't know if for the second ask i can be helpful, i can say you that if you want to fly a good plane, Carenado's almost the best choice. Which FS do you use...? The O-2, mmmh, i would suffering and have a good plane, but don't give out money for another plane. the best way is to show photos and watch videos of the interested plane... hopefully i helped you :(

henrystreet
May 29th, 2014, 04:17
Regards your 337 question, I have both the FSD and Carenado planes. I had great hopes for the FSD O-2, the exterior model was specific and the VC was an actual O-2 flightdeck. It also came with a engine wear simulation and a configuration tool. The FDE seemed very good. Unfortunately I had multiple problems with it that seem to be the result of an incomplete portover from FS9. Several of the gauges didn't work, never got them to work. The VC textures had a transparency to them that allowed the scenery to show thru. See this thread (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?86301-Transparent-VC-textures&highlight=). My engagement with the developer was not encouraging. Uninstalled and set it aside for the day I would be willing to work thru and fix all the issues.

The Carenado, despite the pretty shallow systems simulation, no engine wear sim, and a couple of small developer issues, has been a pleasure since 1st flight. Over at Avsim forums, Bert P has some good mods/fixes that polish up the rough corners.

Too bad we can't get the FSD systems on the Carenado model.:applause:

Just one person's opinions, hope this helps.

SH427
May 29th, 2014, 06:54
Henry, Mirage, thanks for your input, looks like I'll just hold on to my money and enjoy the better of the two that I already have, I'll deffo look up Bert's mods for the 337.

well, that answers one question. Any input on the Thud?

Also, henry, I'm really happy to find someone who digs QOTSA
"it's all, smooooth sailin', from here on out"

Jafo
May 29th, 2014, 07:04
Henry, Mirage, thanks for your input, looks like I'll just hold on to my money and enjoy the better of the two that I already have, I'll deffo look up Bert's mods for the 337.

well, that answers one question. Any input on the Thud?

Also, henry, I'm really happy to find someone who digs QOTSA

If I get my act together I'll upload my version of the Thud cockpit...the 2D is 1680x1050 and is 'photo-real'.
The AS one was a bit too 'tidy' and had the typical compromises for showing 'enough' gauges...;)

As 2D pits goes it's got the odd feature or three...animated stick, mirrors, canopy, probe...even animated gauge reflections in the glass....;)

SH427
May 29th, 2014, 07:09
Whew, that might bring me right back to the 2d cockpit!

mirage3
May 29th, 2014, 07:44
Hey, for the thud i can say you that Virtavia, see here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?78319-Virtavia-F-105-Thunderchief bringed out its FSX version, price ~ € 17.00 (~ $ 20.00 / ~ £ 14.00) and hopefully a discount for old alphasim boughters, buy it here: http://secure.simmarket.com/virtavia-f-105d-thunderchief.phtml . This model is very realistic. So, if you dont want give out money you can search for patches and updates for the old thud. mostly 2D-Photoreal cockpits. Hope it will be helpful:beer:

henrystreet
May 29th, 2014, 12:42

"gonna do the damage until the damage is done"