PDA

View Full Version : Vertigo Stearman

dhasdell
May 28th, 2014, 07:39
A couple of queries about the Vertigo Stearman:

(i) The rear cockpit only has very limited instrumentation - no artificial horizon, turn and slip indicator, VSI or clock. Is this really correct? I'd have thought that whether this panel was for the instructor or the pupil a fuller panel would be fitted, and that in modern rebuilds there would certainly be more.

(ii) The notes say that the engine should be stopped using the idle cut off switch leaving the fuel valve on, but there is no idle cut off switch, only the fuel valve, magnetoes and mixture controls.

Any thoughts, please?

Dumonceau
May 28th, 2014, 08:59
To be honest, as an owner (legit!!) of most vertigo models, I can only conclude that most of them are seriously flawed at inital release', and corrections are done with service packs and updates a long time after the release.

Panther: flaws (most but not all) rectified after v1.2
Bearcat: most flaws (except the modelling flaws) rectified after updates from the community (SOH)
Stearman: most flaws still not rectified
Avenger: waiting... waiting, ...

Don't get me wrong, VS does seriously interesting and good looking models, but they are seriously flawed.

Just MHO.

Dumonceau

MarkH
May 28th, 2014, 10:01
(ii) The notes say that the engine should be stopped using the idle cut off switch leaving the fuel valve on

Presumably this means move the mixture to the idle cutoff position.

dhasdell
May 28th, 2014, 20:58
Presumably this means move the mixture to the idle cutoff position.

Possibly, but elsewhere in the manual and pilots' notes it refers clearly to the "mixture control", and a separate cut off switch is a feature of many aircraft.