PDA

View Full Version : Revised Chipmunk

bazzar
May 24th, 2014, 21:16
Please remember this is strictly WIP.:engel016:

EMatheson
May 24th, 2014, 21:29
Being 100% honest without a trace of sarcasm - I would really like a copy of that for my sim. I really actually would. Given the lack of animations and the low poly-count, do you think you could press out an FS9 version, too? I would download it the moment it came available...

gradyhappyg
May 24th, 2014, 21:35
You forgot to show the state of the art paintkit.

bazzar
May 24th, 2014, 21:45
hmmm nice paintkit but the yellow may be a little bright?

heywooood
May 24th, 2014, 21:53
Good ! no rivets....I hates dem rivets

ZsoltB
May 24th, 2014, 21:59
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V7LbHztFFk

dvj
May 24th, 2014, 22:21
Please remember this is strictly WIP.:engel016:

Will it work in P3D v.2? My credit card is ready!

TARPSBird
May 24th, 2014, 23:17
Nice plane but... The alpha channel for the prop arc needs to be adjusted for more transparency. :playful:

bazzar
May 24th, 2014, 23:46
Nice plane but... The alpha channel for the prop arc needs to be adjusted for more transparency. :playful:

Thinking of going to celluloid....

DaveWG
May 24th, 2014, 23:52
Love it! Nice one :applause:

zswobbie1
May 25th, 2014, 00:13
lol.. I gotta have one of these,, where can I find one?

Sascha66
May 25th, 2014, 00:23
+1 :applause::applause::applause::applause:

delta_lima
May 25th, 2014, 00:56
Wrong NACA wing profile. No blown canopy. Present canopy oversized. Systems modelling looks too bare (no FMC).

Still, if it's TACpac'ed, I might spring for it - but only on a sale....:running:

DL

ps - too funny.

huub vink
May 25th, 2014, 01:15
Great model! There are days I wish that flightsimming would not have become more complex than this.

Cheers,
Huub

AussieMan
May 25th, 2014, 01:28
Looks like someone was a little bored today :).

Javis
May 25th, 2014, 02:52
Looks like someone was a little bored today :).

Yep, cardbored.

Nice one, Baz ! :encouragement:

Mr.Mugel
May 25th, 2014, 03:41
Don´t post here often anymore, but this one really made me chuckle!

Are those 3D renditions of those fantastic 2D cardboard gauges?
<script charset="UTF-8" src="chrome://hdv/content/hdv.js" type="application/javascript"></script>

Roger
May 25th, 2014, 04:53
:mixed-smiley-010::mixed-smiley-010:

stovall
May 25th, 2014, 05:36
Thanks guys but especially Baz, you absolutely made my Sunday morning. :biggrin-new:

jetstreamsky
May 25th, 2014, 05:49
Brilliant

:ernaehrung004:

IanP
May 25th, 2014, 05:53
Excellent! :biggrin-new:

Ian P.

ce_zeta
May 25th, 2014, 06:08
http://25.media.tumblr.com/0e464fd4b9650443b99a88deba5ed60b/tumblr_mga3faftNp1rjv730o2_500.jpg

clmooring
May 25th, 2014, 06:25
I like it.

ThinkingManNeil
May 25th, 2014, 08:34
Funny, I don't remember Airfix or FROG getting into FS...

N.

Cleartheprop
May 25th, 2014, 09:19
Please remember this is strictly WIP.

Most funny thread ever! :applause::applause::applause::applause:

Alan_A
May 25th, 2014, 09:21
Love the cockpit shadows!

delta_lima
May 25th, 2014, 09:27
Funny, I don't remember Airfix or FROG getting into FS...

N.

Naw, man, this is a Guillows sim addon.

txnetcop
May 25th, 2014, 09:28
Baz you have done some awesome work in the past but this is the best yet...takes me back to the 1983 Microprose flight sim Solo Flight. You are a genius Amigo. Yours is superior to that one and it sold for $99.00. I want to see more like this for FSX :O)))

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/170637657650?lpid=82
Ted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5qZfFmBNaM

ThinkingManNeil
May 25th, 2014, 09:51
Naw, man, this is a Guillows sim addon.

Ahhh, yes. Guillows. The cutting edge in stealth and aerodynamics R & D...

N.

SeanTK
May 25th, 2014, 10:36
Cute. This really would be interesting to see for the sim, and also serves as an apparently effective distraction away from the currently identified issues with the "other" Chipmunk.

Hopefully we'll see this novelty released for fun, and the developer will choose to at least acknowledge those points made in the other thread for the proper aircraft, rather than just make light of those pointing out their concerns through exercises such as this.

tracyq144
May 25th, 2014, 11:47
Ahhh, yes. Guillows. The cutting edge in stealth and aerodynamics R & D...

N.

Ah, how many hot, humid, summer evenings did a similar model airplane take me away to distant lands! Every once in a while, you got it trimmed just perfect, and had a perfect takeoff and landing, pure Heaven!

PutPut
May 25th, 2014, 11:50
Forget FSDS, Gmax, 3ds, Blender, etc. My next project will be done with a pair of scissors and a piece of cardboard. Very Cutting Edge!

Paul:jump::jump:

hairyspin
May 25th, 2014, 13:04
Forget FSDS, Gmax, 3ds, Blender, etc. My next project will be done with a pair of scissors and a piece of cardboard. Very Cutting Edge!

Tsk tsk! An X-Acto razor saw gave a much cleaner cut! I see they're still made, too...

Scratch
May 25th, 2014, 13:20
Bah! Pilot's head too small............that's a definite deal breaker for me.:costumed-smiley-034

Ian Warren
May 25th, 2014, 14:11
Everyone said it ... Its just .. Just .. Just Friggen Brilliant ! , look at that texture :adoration:

bazzar
May 25th, 2014, 14:31
" the developer will choose to at least acknowledge those points made in the other thread for the proper aircraft, rather than just make light of those pointing out their concerns through exercises such as this"

or what?

For those interested, there is also a cardboard Spitfire available here int the FSX files:

Card_Mk1A.zip

:engel016:

SeanTK
May 25th, 2014, 17:22
" the developer will choose to at least acknowledge those points made in the other thread for the proper aircraft, rather than just make light of those pointing out their concerns through exercises such as this"

or what?

For those interested, there is also a cardboard Spitfire available here int the FSX files:

Card_Mk1A.zip

:engel016:

Sad to see that developer arrogance is alive and well within the FS community, as exemplified above.

Hope you have a better day, and best of luck with your Chipmunk release. Luckily we have other devs out there who are able to listen to critiques. Understood if you do not wish to act on those observations or critiques, but ignoring, and especially mocking or disrespecting customers is the wrong way to go. Again, good luck with your "artistic interpretation" of the DHC-1.

Still looking forward to this cardboard model, looks like it could be fun (beyond serving as a device to divert criticism and mock potential customers).

Also, yes, I did see the portion of the comment a few hours ago that is now deleted...

Sincerely best wishes, as we're all in this niche community together.

Ian Warren
May 25th, 2014, 17:35
Barry , I'll go you one better :biggrin-new:
http://www.fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2013/07/14/Hijk.jpg

Ian Warren
May 25th, 2014, 17:56
Then off course .. Al and I went a little overboard :biggrin-new:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/4Large-58.jpg

bazzar
May 25th, 2014, 18:06
Sad to see that developer arrogance is alive and well within the FS community, as exemplified above.

Hope you have a better day, and best of luck with your Chipmunk release. Luckily we have other devs out there who are able to listen to critiques. Understood if you do not wish to act on those observations or critiques, but ignoring, and especially mocking or disrespecting customers is the wrong way to go. Again, good luck with your "artistic interpretation" of the DHC-1.

Still looking forward to this cardboard model, looks like it could be fun (beyond serving as a device to divert criticism and mock potential customers).

Also, yes, I did see the portion of the comment a few hours ago that is now deleted...

Sincerely best wishes, as we're all in this niche community together.

My dear chap,

I would sincerely suggest that you revisit your last few responses and have a good rethink.

At any time have I said I wouldn't listen? Did I not show you the wing profiles for example? Do you really think we don't listen?

At no time have I ever or will ever dis-respect a customer. How dare you even suggest such a thing.

The comment that got the last thread closed was by a developer and SOH person. That crosses the line in both professionalism and ethics. I have right of reply my friend. Take that away and we can all go home.

Nobody is being " arrogant" and I think you will find that a large majority of folks here would name me (after over 10 years of membership) as being the last person to be in any way "arrogant".

Developers in general produce this stuff to keep a hobby alive. Many recent posts have shown a saddening and increasing loss in humour and the ability to accept fun as a staple of this hobby. it is a game to be enjoyed. That is why you will find Microsoft have categorised it under Microsoft Games.

I say sad because these people will ultimately kill this hobby which for many including myself has been a source of relief from the stresses and tiresome problems of everyday life.

But, I believe, inevitably, developers will leave the hobby (as many already have) because they are heartily sick of the constant back-biting, inflammatory comment over $20 products that take insane amounts of time, effort and skill to produce. Tolerance and humour have always and traditionally held at bay the feeling that in a real world all developers are crazy to do this stuff for the remuneration they get. Your type of comment and others will certainly put the nails in the coffin. Congratulations and good luck indeed in trying to find a variety of inexpensive new releases for your hobby anytime soon.

You can close this now Roger, thankyou. They have succeeded in what they set out to do. Spoil things for everybody else.

Ian Warren
May 25th, 2014, 18:09
Again not as Hi-tech as your cockpit Baz :encouragement:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/A4IanCockpitMedium.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/A4IanMedium.jpg
Weapons loaded ... we could not complain .. Now were was that "TOPGUN" cassett again :biggrin-new:

Timbohobo
May 25th, 2014, 23:23
Love the cardboard plane Baz!

SeanTK, please take a chillpill mate, its attitudes like yours that damage this small community of ours

bazzar
May 25th, 2014, 23:27
Again not as Hi-tech as your cockpit Baz :encouragement:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/A4IanCockpitMedium.jpg
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m31/Ian_Warren/A4IanMedium.jpg
Weapons loaded ... we could not complain .. Now were was that "TOPGUN" cassett again :biggrin-new:

Good grief Ian what on earth are you up to there...?

dhasdell
May 26th, 2014, 00:35
I'm with timbohobo on this. We've lost developers before who've got sick of the sniping and I would hate to see bazzar go the same way. Let's concentrate on the positive, e.g. is it an advance over the old Rick Piper Chipmunk? Do we want it or not? There's a newer Tiger Moth than bazzar's, but I know which I prefer. Bazzar's a developer, not a bushranger. If we don't want to hand over our cash we don't have to, but I know what my choice will be.

zswobbie1
May 26th, 2014, 01:54
I so would like more cardboard planes. Methinks we take this hobby of ours faar too seriously & we need more fun stuff.
Imagine a fleet of cardboard planes.. How about a DC-3? a fast jet? Airbus?
Love the paper panels as well.
If I recall, many years ago, we had a paper plane as well.

Any scenery guru's out there to do a paper cut-out airport?

Timbohobo
May 26th, 2014, 02:33
Ian, love the Skyhawk hahahaa, how far did you get? it certainly looks the part, or should I go looking for youtube vids? :chuncky:

Ian Warren
May 26th, 2014, 03:06
Good grief Ian what on earth are you up to there...?
One of the famed Christchurch/ Lyttleton birdman competitions long time ago 1989 .... not as fancy as your Chippy :encouragement:

Al, Allan did the flying and all the 12,000 plus people that turned up on the day were so disappointed being the only entrant not to get wet, heard the roar from the crowds "Throw him in" :biggrin-new: .... we did win the novel section.

Ian Warren
May 26th, 2014, 03:08
Ian, love the Skyhawk hahahaa, how far did you get? it certainly looks the part, or should I go looking for youtube vids? :chuncky:
Thanks Tim, I left the VHS tape in Australia with Allan, I should get him to put on DVD.

stovall
May 26th, 2014, 06:20
My dear chap,

I would sincerely suggest that you revisit your last few responses and have a good rethink.

At any time have I said I wouldn't listen? Did I not show you the wing profiles for example? Do you really think we don't listen?

At no time have I ever or will ever dis-respect a customer. How dare you even suggest such a thing.

The comment that got the last thread closed was by a developer and SOH person. That crosses the line in both professionalism and ethics. I have right of reply my friend. Take that away and we can all go home.

Nobody is being " arrogant" and I think you will find that a large majority of folks here would name me (after over 10 years of membership) as being the last person to be in any way "arrogant".

Developers in general produce this stuff to keep a hobby alive. Many recent posts have shown a saddening and increasing loss in humour and the ability to accept fun as a staple of this hobby. it is a game to be enjoyed. That is why you will find Microsoft have categorised it under Microsoft Games.

I say sad because these people will ultimately kill this hobby which for many including myself has been a source of relief from the stresses and tiresome problems of everyday life.

But, I believe, inevitably, developers will leave the hobby (as many already have) because they are heartily sick of the constant back-biting, inflammatory comment over $20 products that take insane amounts of time, effort and skill to produce. Tolerance and humour have always and traditionally held at bay the feeling that in a real world all developers are crazy to do this stuff for the remuneration they get. Your type of comment and others will certainly put the nails in the coffin. Congratulations and good luck indeed in trying to find a variety of inexpensive new releases for your hobby anytime soon.

You can close this now Roger, thankyou. They have succeeded in what they set out to do. Spoil things for everybody else.

Thanks Baz, well said and the thread will not be closed for such an honest and important comment. As I mentioned earlier in this thread you made my day with the humor injected into a topic about an aircraft that I am sure will be a great release. Keep up the good work and as always your efforts are always greatly appreciated.

gradyhappyg
May 26th, 2014, 10:18
Starting work on the bumpmaping.

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx95/gradyhappyg/imagestacks.jpg (http://s745.photobucket.com/user/gradyhappyg/media/imagestacks.jpg.html)

Bjoern
May 26th, 2014, 10:23
I love you, baz!

Cute. This really would be interesting to see for the sim, and also serves as an apparently effective distraction away from the currently identified issues with the "other" Chipmunk.

Hopefully we'll see this novelty released for fun, and the developer will choose to at least acknowledge those points made in the other thread for the proper aircraft, rather than just make light of those pointing out their concerns through exercises such as this.

Or, you know, the rivet counters could just back the f+++ off for a change.

Or count the rivets on the real thing in a museum for a change.

And then polish them to give the planes a well deserved treat.

Nitpicking and rivet counting can not become acceptable behaviour. It does not help to "improve average model quality" and usually trickles down right into the freeware domain where it either drives away seasoned contributors or makes usually nice guys wanting to punch an innocent kitten and abduct baby ducks from the park for ransom.
Especially payware developers have to strike a balance between timely delivery of their products, an acceptable representation and productivity limitations inherent in the toolset that MS provided for its simulators. And maybe they also have a life or a real job.
If one does not like the offerings presented for ones simulator of choice, be it free- or payware, there's always the option of getting one's nitpicking arse and do it oneself. It will be the surest way to hammer in the lessons that developers of MSFS stuff are usually not living in a crystal palace of scamming customers with boxy wing profiles or framed canopies.

Time for anger-fueled sports.

Lawman
May 26th, 2014, 10:38
I realize that for a developer these kind of remarks are annoying. But to be fair to Paul J and SeanTK, I think they were under the impression that there was still time to mend what they saw as errors in the modelling. And let's be honest, if a particular aircraft is close to your heart (as I gather it was in Paul J's case), we all would be a bit more critical/vocal of errors (perceived or real). I guess the "mistake" they made is that their expectations were set to high and they "failed" to see/accept that this product may not be aimed at them:peaceful:.

Looking forward to see how the Chippie turns out :cool:.

TuFun
May 26th, 2014, 10:39
Or, you know, the rivet counters could just back the f+++ off for a change.

Not going to happen in this generation... and you just fueled it further. Let it be and enjoy baz's work.

Roger
May 26th, 2014, 10:57
Yeah, let's leave it and enjoy the humour. I think even the cardboard Chippie would be beyond my abilities:dizzy:

SeanTK
May 26th, 2014, 11:11
Looking forward to the model regardless.

A simple statement from "bazzar" stating that they will not be addressing concerns or suggested changes and/or they will take them into account in the future would have been nice.

Instead, he chose to respond to critiques in the original Chippie thread with the creation of this thread in which a cardboard model is featured, and the crowd pretends to critique it, which struck me as extremely unprofessional and arrogant. That's all, and I'm dropping it now as obviously this attitude is permitted based on some factor that I am not privy to.

Additionally, I did see a now deleted comment stating that it doesn't make a difference what we say since it's the only Chipmunk available beyond Rick Piper's model, which struck me as arrogant as well, but I obviously can't substantiate that since it's now deleted and I didn't take a screenshot of it.

Again, looking forward to the model (and the cardboard one! :) ) and future products, as long as developers are able to take comments and concerns in stride, and understand that their skills may not be perfect.

Any price point on the actual Chippie yet?

DaveWG
May 26th, 2014, 11:15
Any price point on the actual Chippie yet?

From the JF website: http://www.justflight.com/articles/dhc1-chipmunk-available-end-may-2014

This new Chipmunk (http://www.justflight.com/product/dhc1-chipmunk) will be priced at just £9.99 / €12.95 / $14.99 for an introductory period (normal price £14.99 / €18.95 / $21.99) and shortly after release a Royal Canadian Air Force variant with a 'bubble' canopy will be available FREE to all buyers.

Thoe6969
May 26th, 2014, 11:26
I for one can't wait for it to be released.I think it looks fantastic.:jump:

hairyspin
May 26th, 2014, 12:07
I'm afraid I won't be buying this Chippie model, due to concerns for its structural integrity: the wing has the cardboard corrugations running fore & aft and while we need allow a little wing flex, I fear these will be more like floppy after a flip or two. It would also be nice to have a real paint kit instead of the felt tips.

http://ih3.redbubble.net/image.5679270.8420/flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

In all seriousness, the tone of some criticisms of the upcoming JF Chippie needed more thought. Whoever we are, it's better to think a bit longer before hitting "Submit Reply" - and think how you would react if someone criticised your work in the same tone.

pilto von pilto
May 26th, 2014, 13:59
aaaaand for our Canadian friends.

We went with the 3 bubble.If you peer closely enough you can see we added the limited edition high head room version. Like the gurney bubble in the ford gt40's. This is for taller pilots. As has been noted the pilots are a little small but that might be down to the fact we used an aussie 5 cent piece to (badly ) cut around.

To address all the concerns.

1. These take all of around 1 hour to make and set up. They are a way of letting of steam after trying to wrestle with NAV1 OBS ERROR values not actually reporting correct values in a glass HUD. If we didnt let off steam we might do something like take offense to something someone typed on a forum or something stupid like that. And by someone I dont mean anybody in particular and by stupid I dont mean to denigrate your life choices or your ability to reason or otherwise.:untroubled:

2. Fun... remember that. We remember fun. Fondly. The way everyone would wait for panther99fs to buy the latest and greatest addon ( even if he didnt actually want it ) and show screenshots. The fun we had when we found that chicken diner in FS9 outside Seattle and the competition afterwards. The friendly rivalry between netwings and SOH.

In fact remember this from 2003 ?

3. I think we are asking permission on releasing these or something ...Baz can tell me more. For now the spitfire ( that fires it's guns when you open the canopy ) is available in the downloads area. Yes you can see the guns firing from the VC. You'll need to make the pew pew sounds yourself. The VC is the same as the one in the cardmunk. The gauges are semi accurate the ASI is in mph when you hit the "fast" pip on the gauge you are going... fast.

Lastly.

guzzi
May 26th, 2014, 14:49
In fairness to PJ he wasn't the only person to make comment on the percieved shortcomings of this model - the things he made comments on have been commented on elsewhere, on other forums. I think is natural when there is a well loved freeware model that for it's time was of a very high standard to be compared to, to address what may be percieved shortcomings in this payware model. There are a lot of double standards going on here and I'm out of this place. Bazaar I bet you never have to buy toilet paper, hanging around here.

bazzar
May 26th, 2014, 15:05
I don't think anybody is comparing this effort to Rick's freeware. But because an individual produced something a few years back, does that make it law that one cannot produce another. Does it mean that person has to be deified or canonised or something?

Are there special rites one has to obey? Some strange offering that has to be made to the gods of freeware?

I have enjoyed Rick's creation for years and I am sure if Rick is reading this he's laughing all over his face.

If you don't like or want this offering don't buy it.

Grow up.

Roger
May 26th, 2014, 15:08
In fairness to PJ he wasn't the only person to make comment on the percieved shortcomings of this model - the things he made comments on have been commented on elsewhere, on other forums. I think is natural when there is a well loved freeware model that for it's time was of a very high standard to be compared to, to address what may be percieved shortcomings in this payware model. There are a lot of double standards going on here and I'm out of this place. Bazaar I bet you never have to buy toilet paper, hanging around here.

Well thanks for that guzzi. It's probably better if you stay over at CBFsim as biplaneflyer as your particular brand of corrosive comments are not welcome here.