PDA

View Full Version : Has everyone seen this?

Eoraptor1
January 22nd, 2009, 08:32
The Starship Enterprise, as it will appear in the upcoming Star Trek movie this Spring. This is the image released to Entertainment Weekly by the Paramount people last year. It's been all over the net for months now, but here it is for the unlikely few who may not have seen it.

If I'd been in charge, I'd have built a super detailed model (digital or old-school) of the Enterprise is it appeared in the original pilot episode, but I understand that auteur directors aren't happy unless they put their own personal stamp on things, and as I've said before, I've never met an Enterprise I didn't like.

JAMES

Toastmaker
January 22nd, 2009, 11:34
Hmm. . . other than a few minor nuances, hull and saucer design look the same to me .

Willy
January 22nd, 2009, 12:43
The warp nacelles and support struts are a bit different from the original.

Snuffy
January 22nd, 2009, 12:46
I'm not trekkie enough to notice anything ... :help:

GT182
January 22nd, 2009, 12:54
That photo will make a nice wallpaper.... IMHO. Always loved Star Trek in it many forms.... and always will.

Willy
January 22nd, 2009, 12:55
I was a fan in a past life. I've just moved on to other things.

Gramps
January 22nd, 2009, 13:31
Bein a major star trek fan , I can see alot of diffrence in the two.I agree with Eoraptor, should've just made a highly detailed version of the old one
The original

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/gramps/800px-USS_Enterprise.jpg

this is my favorite version of the Enterprise

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/gramps/1701_Refit.jpg

Eoraptor1
January 22nd, 2009, 15:38
Here's another pic.

JAMES

crashaz
January 22nd, 2009, 16:58
Wonder what letter will be following after NCC-1701?

Willy
January 22nd, 2009, 17:56
I believe they got up to NCC-1701E

Gramps
January 22nd, 2009, 18:23
Wonder what letter will be following after NCC-1701?

no bloody A, B, C or D (quote from Scotty :engel016:)

It's goin back in time,to when kirk and crew first took over.

EasyEd
January 22nd, 2009, 18:44
Hey All,

Long as Jean Luc is the Captain I'm happy. I liked the original but Jean Luc is just so much better - just like nobody has ever been better on BSG than Lorne Greene.

-ed-

Wulf190
January 22nd, 2009, 18:50
...call in a a few Star Destroyers with full wings of Tie fighters and it will turn it in to a scrap heap before you have say warp nine...

OOPPS! did I just say that?! Sorry
:focus:

*yes I like star wars over trek*

Eoraptor1
January 22nd, 2009, 19:59
...call in a a few Star Destroyers with full wings of Tie fighters and it will turn it in to a scrap heap before you have say warp nine...

OOPPS! did I just say that?! Sorry
:focus:

*yes I like star wars over trek*

PLEEEEZE!!! You're going to come at a Constitution Class Starship with an Imperial Task Force!!! As soon as you open your magnetic field to launch those Tie Fighters, I'm going to beam photon torpedoes next to your reactor cores and that will be the end of your offensive. Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've created...

Actually, I love Star Wars. I love bad Star Wars. I just feel Obi-wan Kenobi should have done the right thing and Force pushed Anakin into the lava.

JAMES

Wulf190
January 22nd, 2009, 20:14
PLEEEEZE!!! You're going to come at a Constitution Class Starship with an Imperial Task Force!!! As soon as you open your magnetic field to launch those Tie Fighters, I'm going to beam photon torpedoes next to your reactor cores and that will be the end of your offensive. Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've created...

Actually, I love Star Wars. I love bad Star Wars. I just feel Obi-wan Kenobi should have done the right thing and Force pushed Anakin into the lava.

JAMES

No No NO! Your doing it wrong! Yours supposed to beam some of your crew on to the destroyers, then the Dark Jedi take care of them, only then do you launch your torpedo thingys in to the launch bay, by which my two wings of Tie Defenders take down your shield with ions cannons and blast you to bits!.... Amatures I swear... LOL j/k

For the record, I couldn't stand episode I-III.

Piglet
January 22nd, 2009, 20:24
NO NO NO!
The clip-on tie goes on first, THEN the pocket protector!!
Taped glasses optional...

Wulf190
January 22nd, 2009, 20:25
NO NO NO!
The clip-on tie goes on first, THEN the pocket protector!!
Taped glasses optional...

There we go!:amen:

*and here I've been doing it all wrong*

Toastmaker
January 23rd, 2009, 06:37
I didn't know we had so many Star-Nerds and Imperial Geeks around here !

:welcome:

cheezyflier
January 23rd, 2009, 06:48
Hey All,

Long as Jean Luc is the Captain I'm happy. I liked the original but Jean Luc is just so much better - just like nobody has ever been better on BSG than Lorne Greene.

-ed-

now you're talkin my language. besides, who did kirk have that was as fine as beverly crusher and deanna troy?

michael davies
January 23rd, 2009, 07:24
this is my favorite version of the Enterprise

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/gramps/1701_Refit.jpg

Is that the one from the Next Generation series ?, I'm not a die hard trekkie but the Jean Luc ( generally like most of Partrick Stewarts work anyway ) series was perhaps the best, Capt Janeaway ( spelling ) is a little butch for me LOL.

Much prefer Star Wars truth be told, as if my Avatar didnt give it away LOL.

Best

Michael

jhefner
January 23rd, 2009, 07:44
Is that the one from the Next Generation series ?, I'm not a die hard trekkie but the Jean Luc ( generally like most of Partrick Stewarts work anyway ) series was perhaps the best, Capt Janeaway ( spelling ) is a little butch for me LOL.

Much prefer Star Wars truth be told, as if my Avatar didnt give it away LOL.

Best

Michael

No, it's the Enterprise from the four Star Trek Movies. Jean Luc's Enterprise is "flatter" looking than this.

I have a cutaway painting of this particular Enterprise hanging in my study. It came out when Star Trek - The Motion Picture came out; I inherited it from a friend who passed away from cancer; two other friends had it framed for me. A treasured keepsake, needless to say, it is my favorite Enterprise as well.

I like Star Wars and Star Trek equally. Also enjoyed 2001 - A Space Odyssey. The shuttle Orion from 2001, and several Star Wars ships inhabit the "fictional" wing of my "Virtual Air Museum." :focus:

Wozza
January 23rd, 2009, 07:54
Hmmm I dunno this upcoming ver of the Enterprise just doesnt fit into the time line See pic its suppose to be between NX-01 and NCC-1701
The shape way way to clean for the era,Ahhh well have to wait and see
if it works or not
Cheers
Wozza

Drake
January 23rd, 2009, 09:40
That shot is just at a weird angle. If you've seen the trailer, that pic doesn't really do the Big E justice.

First pics of the toys.

http://trekweb.com/articles/2009/01/23/New-Photos-of-Star-Trek-Toys-Nero-Romulan-Ship-Enterprise-and-New-Bridge.shtml

http://trekweb.com/articles/2009/01/22/First-Look-at-New-Movie-Playmates-Toys-Including-Model-of-New-Enterprise-1701.shtml

Eoraptor1
January 23rd, 2009, 11:01
Hmmm I dunno this upcoming ver of the Enterprise just doesnt fit into the time line See pic its suppose to be between NX-01 and NCC-1701
The shape way way to clean for the era,Ahhh well have to wait and see
if it works or not
Cheers
Wozza

This new Trek film is being billed as a complete "reboot" of the TV series. Comic nerds call this "retconning" and it happens constantly to characters like Batman and Superman. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the final product. A lot of my fellow nerds decide they're NOT going to like something when it's still in pre-production, and that's IT!!! I'm not going down that road; it helped kill Enterprise. I agree with you on the "wait and see".

ATTN: Cheezy,

First of all, you destroyed my sleep with that picture of Britney you uploaded...Secondly, Kirk had many hotties; some of them green.

ATTN: jhefner,

I also enjoyed 2001. I like the Arthur C. Clarke books as well, but I don't see them in the same way as Trek and Star Wars. The 2001 series are hard core science fiction, while George Lucas (to his credit) never made that claim about Star Wars, which is a real pastiche of a lot of media. He took A LOT from Dune, and the Foundation books, as well as a lot of mythology, Saturday morning serials, and war movies. There's a movie called Dam Busters which is a pseudo-historical account of the RAF attack on the Ruhr dams. See it if you get chance. I'm convinced George Lucas got the idea for his assault on the Death Star specifically from this film, although I know I'll never be able to prove that. Star Trek, if I have Gene Roddenberry right, was more conceived as Horatio Hornblower is space (or, if you've seen the episode Balance of Terror, The Enemy Below in space). Also, according to the memoirs of certain cast alumni, Mr. Roddenberry was quite the ladies man back in the day. I really see Kirk as his alter-ego. Picard is a much more controlled personality type; he might represent the more mature Roddenberry. Again, I don't really know. Anyway, all these series, in my opinion, are meant first and foremost to be enjoyed, and I do enjoy them greatly.

JAMES

Lionheart
January 23rd, 2009, 11:18
I like the new ship. I like to see this all evolve and become more complex and incredible.

I am looking forward to it. Looks like a fun movie.

Ed,

I agree. Captain Picard was brilliant. I liked that episode where he returns to Earth for shore leave, after being saved from being a borg. He goes home to the family Vineyard and hangs out for a week or two.

I'll always miss the team at ST TNG. They were like family to me. Each was a powerful equal element in the series. From Jordy to Warf to Diana, even that young guy, Mr. Crusher, who had to leave later..

Bill

strega13
January 23rd, 2009, 12:17
i have to say , other than the ship designs , the only thing that has ever drawn me towards star trek was the borg .

has my avatar also shows ,i am more of a star wars geek ... it's not much the movies but the whole universe that has been developed around the movies that really caught my attention there . as far as the movies go , empire strikes back is the only i consider to be exceptional .

Gramps
January 23rd, 2009, 13:45
Picard!! He couldn't hold the light for Kirk to go by!!!!:wiggle::wiggle:

Yup, it's the movie version for the original crew. The Big E was totally refit supposedly after the second 5 year mission with Kirk.

STNG was a good show, but not as good as the original to me. I haven't got to see the remastered version of the original series yet, but with the new effects an all it should be up to par with NG.

Gotta see if I can find em on DVD, none iof the station I get are runnin em.

Gramps
January 23rd, 2009, 14:23
Another shot of the NCC-1701-A

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/gramps/aenterprise.gif

And the last shot of it ever on the big screen, ridin off into the sunset (so to speak)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/gramps/sunset.jpg

End of an era, STAR TREK just wasn't the same anymore after that.

Eoraptor1
January 23rd, 2009, 15:33
Another shot of the NCC-1701-A

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/gramps/aenterprise.gif

And the last shot of it ever on the big screen, ridin off into the sunset (so to speak)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/gramps/sunset.jpg

End of an era, STAR TREK just wasn't the same anymore after that.

Gramps,

Go HERE: http://www.cbs.com/classics/star_trek/

The remastered episodes will appear in a Flash-type banner on the top of the page; they will say "Star Trek Re-Mastered" at the end of the title. I'm not sure if the titles in the regular menu are remastered or not. You could also go to www.startrek.com (http://www.startrek.com), or you can download the re-mastered episodes as .MOV files from iTunes for 1.99 USD apiece.

JAMES

Wozza
January 23rd, 2009, 19:29
Picard!! He couldn't hold the light for Kirk to go by!!!!:wiggle::wiggle:

Yup, it's the movie version for the original crew. The Big E was totally refit supposedly after the second 5 year mission with Kirk.

STNG was a good show, but not as good as the original to me. I haven't got to see the remastered version of the original series yet, but with the new effects an all it should be up to par with NG.

Gotta see if I can find em on DVD, none iof the station I get are runnin em.
Heheh couldnt agree more,Kirk was a real man,Picard was a snag :)
Im 1 dvd short of having the full dvd TOS collection,comes out each fortnight with a magazine,been collecting for over a year now.

Useless Star Trek fact ...did you know start trek had the first ever televised interracial kiss between Ahura and Kirk? Almost didnt happen as the suits where panicking,they shot 2 scenes one with a kiss one with just a hug.Kirk crossed his eyes and pulled a face on the hug take,By the time it was picked up it was to late to reshoot so they went with the kiss scene.I like the way the Start Trek franchise takes current events and puts a futuristic spin on it,as the saying go's the more things change the more they stay the same
Cheers
Wozza

hewman100
January 24th, 2009, 02:37
We all have our own take on who's the best Captain, and I'm a Picard man. But then that's probably because I grew up with TNG.

If the film is good i can forgive a certain amount of messing with Trek lore.

Don't forget it has the Nimoy seal of approval in the form of a cameo.

Gramps
January 24th, 2009, 04:56
Gramps,

Go HERE: http://www.cbs.com/classics/star_trek/

The remastered episodes will appear in a Flash-type banner on the top of the page; they will say "Star Trek Re-Mastered" at the end of the title. I'm not sure if the titles in the regular menu are remastered or not. You could also go to www.startrek.com (http://www.startrek.com), or you can download the re-mastered episodes as .MOV files from iTunes for 1.99 USD apiece.

JAMES

Cool!!! Thanks for the link

Eoraptor1
January 24th, 2009, 12:39
Cool!!! Thanks for the link

Entirely my pleasure, Gramps.

Attn: Wozza,

I did know about Kirk and Uhura; Nichelle Nichols and William Shatner both write about it at length in their respective memoirs about the series. What I found more interesting reading Nichelle Nichols' book is that she once considered leaving the series, but was dissauded by a personal appeal from Martin Luther King Jr. who felt it was important for young people to see a future where people of different ethnic groups cooperated with each other.

Here's a pic of the Enterprise-J, which several friends of mine didn't believe existed. It appeared once, in the "Azati Prime" episode of Enterprise, when Temporal Agent Daniels takes Captain Archer to the 26th Century to witness a battle between the Federation and the Sphere Builders. The crew included Klingons and Xindi.

JAMES

Gramps
January 24th, 2009, 13:28
I gotta say.......................that is one UGLY ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:faint:

Eoraptor1
January 25th, 2009, 09:14
I gotta say.......................that is one UGLY ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:faint:

I'm too weakened from NFL withdrawl to even put up an argument....

JAMES

stansdds
January 25th, 2009, 10:26
Based on many of these comments, I'm beginning to go from feeling old to feeling antique and perhaps ancient. For me, the real Star Trek is the show from the 1960's, that's the Star Trek of my childhood. Yes, I had the plastic model kit versions of the tricorder, phaser, and communicator as well as a couple of the official nylon windbreaker jackets. I did enjoy the Next Generation version after Piccard learned how to order his weapons officer to open fire rather than have his communications officers relay the message "we surrendah!". As to all the other versions, didn't really have much interest and given a choice, I'll watch the original series episodes any day of the week.

Having said that, I will now go back to my corner and continue to collect dust along with all the other antiques. :wiggle:

Terry
January 25th, 2009, 10:55
Based on many of these comments, I'm beginning to go from feeling old to feeling antique and perhaps ancient. For me, the real Star Trek is the show from the 1960's, that's the Star Trek of my childhood. Yes, I had the plastic model kit versions of the tricorder, phaser, and communicator as well as a couple of the official nylon windbreaker jackets. I did enjoy the Next Generation version after Piccard learned how to order his weapons officer to open fire rather than have his communications officers relay the message "we surrendah!". As to all the other versions, didn't really have much interest and given a choice, I'll watch the original series episodes any day of the week.

Having said that, I will now go back to my corner and continue to collect dust along with all the other antiques. :wiggle:

Reminds me of Kirk and McCoy in Kirk's apartment at the beginning of "The Wrath of Khan". :amen:

Gramps
January 25th, 2009, 11:30

I'm with ya bud!!! I have vague memories of sittin on my dads lap an watchin the original series. It had to be the last season (or reruns, and I don't think this), Because me an star trek were hatched the same year ( 1966) and it was cancelled in '69.
Watched the reruns when ever a station would run em. finally got a vcr a n recorded all I could, so I could watch em when a station wasn't showin it.

Like I said in an earlier post, it was an end of era for me when the original crew made the final movie. Just wasn't the same with no Kirk an crew!!

redriver6
January 25th, 2009, 15:55
Attn: Eoraptor1

stop it stop it stop it

theres only so much LMFAO i can take:costumes:

i used to have the 30 year die cast NCC-1701 w/shuttle craft on my desk at work....but i boxed it up and now i can't find it.

Eoraptor1
January 26th, 2009, 09:51
Attn: Eoraptor1

stop it stop it stop it

theres only so much LMFAO i can take:costumes:

i used to have the 30 year die cast NCC-1701 w/shuttle craft on my desk at work....but i boxed it up and now i can't find it.

I figure what with the economy doing what it's doing, we all need as much LMFAO as we can get. I also try to be a positive representative of my people, the Nerds, and present our culture, heritage, and venerated traditions accurately and succinctly. So you see, I'm doing what I can.

JAMES

PS You should try to find that model. It may be valuable.

cheezyflier
January 26th, 2009, 11:39
ATTN: Cheezy,

First of all, you destroyed my sleep with that picture of Britney you uploaded..

JAMES

i totally forgot that i did that! sometimes i think there are 2 of me sharing the one head

Snuffy
January 26th, 2009, 12:35
I still don't know the difference ... :173go1:

Drzook
January 26th, 2009, 16:39
....There's a movie called Dam Busters which is a pseudo-historical account of the RAF attack on the Ruhr dams. See it if you get chance. I'm convinced George Lucas got the idea for his assault on the Death Star specifically from this film, although I know I'll never be able to prove that....
JAMES
Well I don't know if this qualifies as proof but it sure comes close...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NMfBKrdErY

Eoraptor1
January 27th, 2009, 08:07
Well I don't know if this qualifies as proof but it sure comes close...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NMfBKrdErY

That's the exact film sequence I was talking about. Did you see the Mossie footage in the related videos section?

JAMES

PS Drzook, what is that beauty in your avatar? I've been meaning to ask. Is it available for download at the SOH?

Drzook
January 29th, 2009, 09:29
That's the exact film sequence I was talking about. Did you see the Mossie footage in the related videos section?

JAMES

PS Drzook, what is that beauty in your avatar? I've been meaning to ask. Is it available for download at the SOH?
Can't say I saw the Mossie footage but I'll just have to check it out now. My avatar is a Lockheed Altair made by none other than our own PutPut. I couldn't find it at the Outhouse but if you went to Flightsim.com and searched under 'Lockheed Altair' you will find 5 files pertaining to this bird. No VC but still fun to fly nonetheless.
The original livery is of the ill-fated Lady Southern Cross. All I did was change the name and registration to Lady Lo, NR-130LR (first aircraft named after my daughter Lola). I love that shade of blue and have since adopted it into several of my other repaints.
That shot in my avatar was taken back in my CFS2 days; I had converted it to CFS2 standard and that shot was taken at sunset over northern Spain.

Eoraptor1
January 30th, 2009, 12:17
Can't say I saw the Mossie footage but I'll just have to check it out now. My avatar is a Lockheed Altair made by none other than our own PutPut. I couldn't find it at the Outhouse but if you went to Flightsim.com and searched under 'Lockheed Altair' you will find 5 files pertaining to this bird. No VC but still fun to fly nonetheless.
The original livery is of the ill-fated Lady Southern Cross. All I did was change the name and registration to Lady Lo, NR-130LR (first aircraft named after my daughter Lola). I love that shade of blue and have since adopted it into several of my other repaints.
That shot in my avatar was taken back in my CFS2 days; I had converted it to CFS2 standard and that shot was taken at sunset over northern Spain.

Thank you for the heads-up Drzook. I'm still in my CFS2 days. The add-ons just keep coming. Getting back to the original topic, I actually have two USS Enterprises converted for use in CFS2. There's a great new Tango_Romeo F-104 based Massimo Taccoli's original source file that I'm trying to rig into an Enterprise intercept mission. I don't know what I'll do to it once I catch it (like a dog chasing a car) but fans will remember that this actually happened in the Original Series.

JAMES