PDA

View Full Version : Help with scenery enhancements for PTO

5string
May 22nd, 2014, 05:33
Hi. I feel as if I may be opening a pandora's box with this question so forgive me if this has been covered before in the forums but I have searched and cannot find exactly what I'm looking for. Basically, I'm back to CFS2 after about a 7-8 year absence. When last I played with it, the main scenery enhancement to the PTO was PacTex2 and Maskrider's airfields. Now, I'm trying to mod my new install and there seem to be such an overwhelming variety of enhanced textures, mesh, etc. that I'm unsure how to proceed.

I have already installed Rhumba's LOD 9 Mesh (I think I've got the name right). Now, don't know what scenery textures to use - it looks like there are FSX to CFS2 texture conversions, FS9-CFS2 texture conversions and lots of variations in between - as well as the PacTex2 stuff. I want to be able to re-install all of MR's airfields, too.

Any suggestions? And sorry for asking something that may have already been answered but when searching the forums the only thing I come up with are some 2010 posts that point to other posts with scenery enhancement discussions but the posts are dead. Also, looks like a lot of the stuff I'm interested in was done after 2010.

It is a great problem to have to have so much great content to choose from. Thank's so much to all of the talented individuals who made my problem possible!

Thanks for the help.

Rami
May 22nd, 2014, 07:42
5string,

Well, let's get you started on the basics. Set up Rhumba's scenery layers first using this guide: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=49&id=6050

Once you establish the base layers, I would highly recommend using the stock coastlines for Maskrider's airfields, and only install new coastlines for areas that are specifically designed for it. (the Aleutians, the Marianas, the Caroline Islands, etc.) The only consequence of this is that you will miss out on the 2009 version of Maskrider's DEI airfields. (although the 2008 version is fantastic)

No pandora's box here, and please ask questions along the way. It's why we're here.

As far as textures go, I'm sure our Pacific aficionados will be able to help you find the best texture mix.

5string
May 23rd, 2014, 08:17
Rami:

Thanks for the reply and for the thorough guide. I'll give it a go. May be back with questions as I go. Also, will be back when I begin setting up my ETO install!!

Thanks again.

Scott

Devildog73
May 30th, 2014, 22:30
I would look through the scenery library for UncleTgt's textures and scenery updates.

His are a bit darker than the originals and look, from my perspective having flown over Pacific tropical areas, more accurate than any others.

He also did the shore lines for MR sceneries to match Rhumba's mesh.