PDA

View Full Version : i need some assistance...yes yet again...

Daveroo
May 21st, 2014, 17:50
i did a uninstall of FSX,i was told not to awhile back,but it worked.except for now..i cant modify any .CFG's.....i want to "//" out the entries of each planes textures,but when i go to hit "file/save" it tells me it cant find the file and then a window pops up to save the new cfg to the plane..BUT i then get the same failure box..is there a way to rename the entire "airplanes" folder so it wont be "seen" by FSX?

ok so how do i set it to let me save the cfg?.....

SH427
May 21st, 2014, 17:56
On win7 I end up having to cut and paste the aircraft.cfg to the desktop to modify it, since it doesn't allow willy-nilly changes to anything on the hdd. To "remove" the aircraft from the simulator, I usually rename the aircraft.cfg to "xxaircraft.cfg" and somehow that kicks it out. If not, rename the panel.cfg

JimmyRFR
May 21st, 2014, 18:16
Strange. You should be able to rename anything you want to, to the point of breaking your FSX install if you're not careful. The only reason that I can think of is that perhaps it's installed to it's default location on the C: drive? I've heard that doing so can cause all sorts of permission issues when you want to hand edit files.

The only time that I ever have an issue saving a file is when I'm doing live airport edits in ADE, while FSX is running, or tweaking aircraft repaints, again while FSX is running. In those cases, careful timing of reloading scenery / aircraft is needed to remove the lock that FSX places on the files for long enough to save a file in use by the sim.

Also, removing the aircraft folder isn't likely a wise idea, even if your third party add-on aircraft are stored somewhere else. There's a lot of third party add-on aircraft that re-use bits and pieces of the default planes, such as sounds and gauges.

airtj
May 21st, 2014, 18:23
Dave

Try this:

The issue is that you do not have sufficient privileges.

Navigate to the FS9 directory.

Right click and select properties

Go to the Security tab

Look under the Group or User names field. I bet your user name that you use as your log on name is not on the list.

Click Edit

On the next pop up widow click Add

In the box marked "Enter the object names to select" type in your user name.

Click check names. It should append your computer name before your user name. This means it found the user.

Click OK

Select your user name you just added and in the lower box click full control allow.

Click Apply (this might take awhile while it applies the permissions to all the sub folders)

Click OK

You should now be on the list with full control permissions to that folder and all sub folders.

Follow this procedure for any program that you will be running on your system that does not seem to be working correctly.

Doing this is better than running as administrator because it gives the program all the permissions it needs to run properly with out it being an Admin.

Found here:
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?52003-FS9-Crashes!-%28Possible-compatibility-issues-in-Win7%29&p=570809&viewfull=1#post570809