PDA

View Full Version : Just took the plunge...

hews500d
January 22nd, 2009, 07:02
..and ordered the parts from Newegg for my new system. I went with the i7 Core 920 processor rather than the 940 after reading the reviews. It seemed like the 920 would be able to get the same or better than the 940 performance with some easy OC'ing so I couldn't justify the extra $276.00 for the 940. Graphics card is going to be the Nvidia EVGA 9800 GTX+, OCZ Gold 6gb memory, Soundblaster X-fi Xtreme gamer sound card and a few other goodies, Ass p6T Mobo, etc.

Had trouble finding a Coolermaster V8 cooler, finally found one at Platinum Micro but the site is screwed at the moment so I'm not sure if the order went thru or not... those coolers must be popular, I had one in my cart at Newegg but when I went to submit the order it had already sold out :faint:

Now I'm in the process of convincing Citi that I'm actually purchasing these parts after they called home ( I ordered from work) and told my wife someone had fraudently used my card possibly. Good thing she was aware of my impending purchase or odds are I would not have been posting on these forums anymore! :argue: :rapture:

Darrell

harleyman
January 22nd, 2009, 07:13
The V8 is hard to get now...

Keep us informed......

Unless you use your rig for your maun sound system, you could have used onboard sound..Its great these days.......

Looking forward to your progress....:woot:

hews500d
January 22nd, 2009, 07:18
The V8 is hard to get now...

Keep us informed......

Unless you use your rig for your maun sound system, you could have used onboard sound..Its great these days.......

Looking forward to your progress....:woot:
I'll let ya know on the V8, Citi did say the charge had went thru though so unless their site is screwed up it should be in stock! I "may" eventually put some of my music programs on the new PC also, so that's why I went with a sound card, not to mention rattle the windows when I do a few tower fly-bys :woot:

Darrell

kilo delta
January 22nd, 2009, 09:18
Congrats on the new rig, Darrell, it should provide great performance in FSX :ernae:

Bjoern
January 22nd, 2009, 09:43
I suggest a Xigmatek S1283 as an alternative to that Coolermaster.

hews500d
January 22nd, 2009, 10:05
Thanks Bjoern, if the Coolermaster isn't in stock I'll check that one out!

My poor P4 2.53 Ghz has been struggling to run FSX so I can't wait to see what this new system will do !

Darrell

harleyman
January 22nd, 2009, 10:12
MY GOD MAN.......Tower Fly-Bys !!!! :173go1:

Sounds like fun to me.......:faint:

That sound card will provide all that and more......:applause:

hews500d
January 23rd, 2009, 05:16
Well, everything has shipped, anticipating arrival next Monday and Tuesday for everything, then...."the big build" The V8 cooler was in stock. If anyone is looking for one, try www.platinummicro.com (http://www.platinummicro.com), they still show it as being in stock. This thing got excellent reviews at Newegg.

Judging from the news floating around about Aces, I guess I won't have to worry about upgrading again anytime soon. In the long run though, and speaking from the perspective of a "part time developer" I feel like FSX will only get better and better and more people will start to enjoy it as prices drop on systems with enough power to run it respectably, and 3rd party developers continue to explore what can be done without having to rush a plane or scenery package out the door before the next generation of FS comes along, only to have to learn new methods and then upgrade all their previous addons.

Darrell

harleyman
January 23rd, 2009, 05:39
Agreed ...The more I think of this the better I feel it will be for add on developers...

Great news on the shipping....and cooler....:applause:

David_L6
January 23rd, 2009, 05:57
My poor P4 2.53 Ghz has been struggling to run FSX so I can't wait to see what this new system will do !

Darrell

Moving from that P4 to a Core i7 should be an eye opener!

kilo delta
January 23rd, 2009, 11:20
Moving from that P4 to a Core i7 should be an eye opener!

True :amen:...it'll be like moving from a Powerpoint slide show to a Blu-Ray movie :applause: :)