PDA

View Full Version : best FSX training helicopter?

Daveroo
May 19th, 2014, 19:30
ok,half of my dream setup is going to come true in July,ill be buying the Heli-kit helicopter controller,i know some of ya dont care for it...but it looks cool to me and i want it.im using this computer im on now to have nothing but the FSX stock fixed wing on(only because im scared to remove them now)and my helicopters,then come october or so ill have my new FSX only gamer and im going to purchase the volairsim cockpit for it.then ill work on a pc and maybe a server to store all of my dvd/blu-ray movies..i will also transfer some of my old VHS train videos to dvd and then to digital on the servers ( if i understand that correctly).
ok,now that ive waisted your time this much..to my point.

what would be the best helicopter trainer?...the Alabeo R66?..the schweizer 300?...the bell 47G?(which is my favorite one) or is there one out there im missing?......im leaning to the Bell 47 because in the book "Chickenhawk" by robert mason ,a great read,he started his military training in a bell 47 before he was sent to Vietnam.

i dont want to use the R44 that is stock in FSX due to the fact ive never liked any of the stock FSX fixed wing.cant imagine id like the helo's either.

and lastly ( i promise) does anyone know if the westland wessex for FS9 works in FSX?..and if so..anyone know where i can find it?...or a H-34 Choctaw?

SeanTK
May 19th, 2014, 19:38
The most realistic helicopter on the market currently still is the Dodosim Bell 206. While it's not what most would consider to be a traditional "trainer" like a Schweizer 300 or R-22, this aircraft has by far the most realistic behavior of a rotary-wing aircraft in FSX.

If for some reason you do not want to use that helicopter, I would suggest looking at what models are supported by the HTR (Helicopter Total Realism) utility, available on Hovercontrol, as that will get you somewhat close to the Dodo.

Flyboy208
May 19th, 2014, 20:15
Funny, I did all of my RW helicopter training in the Jet Ranger, and was previously an observer in a S-300 doing Powerline patrols ... Mike

Daveroo
May 19th, 2014, 21:08
Funny, I did all of my RW helicopter training in the Jet Ranger, and was previously an observer in a S-300 doing Powerline patrols ... Mike

really..nice to know..i see yer point about ...well its backazzwerds eh?....:biggrin-new:.......

trucker17
May 19th, 2014, 21:51
Same here. Trained in a Bell Jet ranger. Mid way through I went to a 1958 HU-1 Huey.
I say HU-1 because the designation was not changed to UH-1 until late 1969.
Took some getting use to after the typical stick and rudder.

Victory103
May 20th, 2014, 00:35
Go with the Dodo, learned to fly helos in the TH-67 (B206BIII) and for FSX, that's about as close as you can get at this time, even better if you do purchase those controls. Visit Hovercontrol for any other tweaks and for your other helos download HTR by F. Naar, helps tame some of those nasty FS helo dynamics.

There is a port-over S58 on Simviation.

Naismith
May 20th, 2014, 02:58
Bristol Sycamore HR14 by Rick Piper - he claims it is beta - but it is superb. Available at http://www.cbfsim.co.uk/cbfs_lib/ though you may have to register to get it.
It is relatively docile, unlike some and is of course a classic! :adoration:

Bjoern
May 20th, 2014, 05:33
Eagle Rotorcraft did a FSX native version of Owen Hewitt's Jet Ranger models. Might be worth checking out.

Daveroo
May 20th, 2014, 07:24
thank you to everyone for your assistance and ideas..

spatialpro
May 20th, 2014, 08:40
what would be the best helicopter trainer?

The best one to learn to fly helicopters in the simulator, of the best one to learn to simulate flying real helicopters?! There is a difference!

If you want to learn to fly real helicopters, using helicopter models which have realistic behavior in the simulator, then the DodoSim Bell 206 is great. But if you're really serious then X-Plane is probably even more realistic.

If you want to learn to fly FSX helicopters then there are some good easy-to-handle models out there (and already suggested).

Also I cannot recommend enough hover-taxiing over to http://hovercontrol.com/ ... and sign up on their training programme. Some multiplayer hours with some experienced instructors are well worth it...

Good luck!

Andy

JimmyRFR
May 20th, 2014, 11:07
But if you're really serious then X-Plane is probably even more realistic.

I've heard this repeated more than a few times. Enough so that I've wanted to try it out for myself. Now to be fair, I've only looked at what I could find available as freeware for X-Plane 10, but in no way did I find the experience in X-Plane to be any better than the Dodo or most of the HTR-enhanced models within FSX. To be honest, the best feeling of accuracy I've encountered is actually within DCS World. To the point where the time I've put into the Huey in DCS is almost too much like work; you're simply exhausted after flying it for an hour or two.

Marvin Carter
May 20th, 2014, 12:16
The defalt 206 with all sliders to the right, a little null zone in the rudder and practise ,practise, Oh and more practise. Took me about six months to get halfway good at it, but when it clicks OMG, what a blast. And it makes flight simming alot more interesting!!!

lazarus
May 20th, 2014, 15:03
Second Ricks Sycamore. Superb! FS northwest model 47, piglets native Loach. The EH101 gets dumped on quite a lot, but there are a couple of mod packs that turn it in to a fine helio for the sim, and I always thought it was a nice model. Dirk's Super Puma. UKMILS Puma(some minor niggles, great flyer) and Gazelle. Mick Posch's H-21 for advanced training( its a work out!) Heli-trim gauge is a must for all.
There is a payware H-34. Its not payware quality. In fact, its a LSL freeware 3d model/sketchup model(chicken or egg?) with a long laundry list of issues- poor frames, baulky gauges, poor flight model, psychotic draw call count, un repaintable, a 105mm gun slung from the rescue hoist (!) In fact, it looks like something I might hacK out! The only payware helios I'm really in love with are the Virt SH-3 and SH-2- nice models, terrific frame rates, well balanced between detail and playability, not much for systems, but a great flyers. The only fly in that ointment is (was) the copyright protection code on the SH-3, which gave me -and many others- endless grief early on. The contrast is the ND-CH-53E. Nice model, animations, systems modeling. Bletchy frame rates, and I gave up trying to start the cursed thing