PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Flying Pan AM Pacific Clipper Routes?

Bill Kestell
May 18th, 2014, 18:50
After reading Greg Crouch's CHINA'S WINGS, I was forced to take a brief time-out from my regular HUMP flying activities. The story's about the Pan Am/CNAC partnership that brought reliable air transportation to China in the 30s and how CNAC pilot's were the FIRST HUMP PILOTS long before the USAAF got involved. The brief mention of the Pan Am Clippers in China got me to take a second look at them. Well ... THAT DID IT! Always did have a thing for those big Flying Boats anyway.

The East-West route was: San Francisco to Hawaii (Pearl City), to Midway, to Wake, to Guam, to Manila (Cavite) and finally on to Kowloon (Kai Tak Field). My problem is that I can find no freeware or payware that has seaplane facilities at those locations. Does anything exist for FSX?

If not, I do have some ideas for any scenery designers willing to take a crack at some generic add-on for those locations. Sadly there are not many photos showing complete views of these facilities; so a degree of artistic license would certainly not be a deal breaker.

Hope to hear from some of you who want to fly 6 to 14 hour missions over water. Don't forget your May West and bone up on your navigation and NDB skills!:pop4:

robert41
May 18th, 2014, 20:35
This should be a great adventure.
Iam not aware of any scenery for FSX. I did have a couple of 1930's seaplane bases in FS9/GW3. Not sure if they would work in FSX.
I have flown between California and Hawaii in real time twice. In A2A's B17. Long flights. 10+ hours.
For navigating, you might want to check out the sextant for FSX. http://kronzky.info/fs/?????/index.html
Iam currently recreating A. Earhart's flight around the world using the sextant.