PDA

View Full Version : DeHavilland Dash 7 (FSX Native) released

euroastar350
May 12th, 2014, 09:40
Will be on Avsim, Simviation and Flightsim.com once their respective libraries are refreshed. Enjoy:wavey:

papab
May 12th, 2014, 10:21
You can get it at Simviation now:
http://simviation.com/1/browse-Props-62-0?mark=46463#46463

Thank you for this nice aircraft and all the work that was put into it to make it FSX Native!
Rick

lazarus
May 12th, 2014, 11:52
I'll add my thanks to that, in a big way, having some idea of the hour count that goes into a project like this. And a big snogg right on the yob, too!
I piled up a whole lotta hours on the Dash, on a wrench and in the pointy(ish) end. She was slow, kinda homely, a bit oily, an more than a bit of a pain in the keister to work on in spots, but always a lady, and always got me home; once even after calving 3 engines and loosing trailing flap segments in an ill-advised logging attempt. ( Options limited by a guiding SA-7 in my airspace, but the old girl came through smelling like a rose, unlike the aircrews undergarments!)

delta_lima
May 12th, 2014, 12:35
Just a reminder ... this wonderful project first emerged way back as this:

<center>FS2002 - FS2002 Aircraft</center><center>FS2002 Pro--DeHavilland Dash 7
</center><center> [ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=53984) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fsview.php?do=list&fid=53984) ] </center>
Name: dash7v1.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=53984)
Size: 17,304,033 Date: 09-15-2002 Downloads: 49,381

http://www.flightsim.com/images/fsc/wbicons/devaward.gif
http://www.flightsim.com/images/fscfiles/h/dash7v1.gif
FS2002 Pro--DeHavilland Dash 7. Designed by Milton Shupe, Scott Thomas, Joao Paz and Team 7. Full package includes Gmax aircraft, custom panel, A. Swindle modified sounds, three liveries, paint kit instructions, web site support. No virtual cockpit in this release. Full Gmax animation, FS2002 features, STOL flight dynamics tested by seven real world pilots.

This was one of the very first FS2002 addons I recall downloading ... amazing that it has evolved/been polished to what it is today. Not for no reason did it win the Flightsim Award that year ...

Bravo Milton - and all the newer FSX team members that have made this model come this far!!!

DL

morpheusfz
May 12th, 2014, 13:00
There is a Problem with the Gear Doors, from inside there are invisible. And the left front gear are invisible on landing with only main Gear on Ground.

euroastar350
May 12th, 2014, 14:06
I will look into it. Everything should've been in order, guess some things go amiss:wiggle:

SeanTK
May 12th, 2014, 14:24
Excellent! I've been hoping for an FSX-native DHC-7 for quite a while!

On that note though, a few things if I may (feel free to delete if deemed unnecessary)...

1. I can report the invisible gear doors (when looking at the inside of the gear doors) issue as well.

2. Is there any possibility of introducing very minor glass reflections or something in the VC? Understood if it's not possible, but right now in certain conditions it makes the VC appear to have an "open air" look. Panning (via FSRecorder) out the window appears to show that the VC either doesn't actually have modeled windows, or the texture has not been manipulated in any way. Again, it's understood if this is an unreasonable request.

3. I need to confirm again, but I believe I could hear the engines running when the plane was cold/dark. I always load my flights cold/dark, so I'll have to confirm again as to what I was hearing, and no AI was in the area.

Thanks for a fantastic aircraft. I'll have to see if 3rd party repaints work for it now too!

Roger
May 12th, 2014, 15:04
Firstly I want to thank euroastar350 for all his hard work:applause: There are a few minor issues but I could live with them...where else are we going to get an FsX native Dash 7?

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/05/12/pM9uW.jpg

racartron
May 12th, 2014, 15:35
Oh my goodness!! At last my favorite bird is back.

Only odd bits so far are a couple 0ld '98 gauges still called for. the "DFD Flaps" I commented out in the panel.cfg file but I can't find the "PJD Hydraulic Pressure" gauge anywhere and it's called for 4 times(obviously for the engines). Anyone have an idea where this little sucker is hiding?

euroastar350
May 12th, 2014, 16:48
Geardoors are fixed already, will look into the nosegear and inner glass. How's that for fast response:wavey:

SeanTK
May 12th, 2014, 17:08
Geardoors are fixed already, will look into the nosegear and inner glass. How's that for fast response:wavey:

Now that's a response worth noting! :)
Better than a number of payware companies that either ignore users, only respond after weeks, or claim that they can't replicate a problem (that many others have).
Keep up the absolutely excellent work, and regardless of whether or not the concerns above will be addressed, it's greatly appreciated that you are at least willing to look into the matter.

euroastar350
May 12th, 2014, 17:11
I got a request from a user on my Eagle Rotorcraft Simulations facebook page regarding adding sounds for the flaps and gear. Question is, are they implemented in the packages as it is now or not available?

SeanTK
May 12th, 2014, 17:29
Can confirm the lack of flap and gear sounds, though crew callouts are present.

Also can confirm presence, albeit quieter, of engine sounds while airplane is cold & dark.

EDIT: Also, two yellow caution lights come on and stays on whenever the gear is down, regardless of flight state, as far as I can tell. One light is near autopilot on/off, and the other is on the dash in front of the copilot and is marked nearby with the placard "engine fail". Can post a screenshot on request.

euroastar350
May 12th, 2014, 17:42
Also can confirm presence, albeit quieter, of engine sounds while airplane is cold & dark.
Load up the default trike with everything off, then switch over to the D7. This is what I usually do

There is a Problem with the Gear Doors, from inside there are invisible. And the left front gear are invisible on landing with only main Gear on Ground.
For the invisible gear on the ground, which model/livery does it affect? I just tested the BAS version with no problems, I haven't tested the combi or passenger models.

Flap and gear sounds, that would be Nigel's call as he made the sounds for this airplane and I don't want to modify work that's not mine.

SeanTK
May 12th, 2014, 17:48
Have loaded flights with everything off both in the Cessna and the Trike, and both starting in the 2d and in the VC.
Upon loading the DHC-7, I still can hear the engines running (softly) though the airplane is physically off. Can anyone else confirm this as well. Understood that everyone's machines are different.

Additionally, please note my "edited" added-on comment above about the warning gauges. Still experimenting to find any additional faults that could be quick fixes, just to aid in further refining this product. Not trying to be a pest, just figured that since you are responsive (positively) to input, I'd lend some assistance. Glad to see this model released, and it'll certainly get hours of flying time as it is!

I am using the Prototype livery for these tests.

dvj
May 12th, 2014, 19:57

Totally shocked that you guys missed that. Very disappointed. I'm asking for a refund. :a1310::encouragement::adoration:

falcon409
May 12th, 2014, 20:32
Firstly I want to thank euroastar350 for all his hard work:applause: There are a few minor issues but I could live with them...where else are we going to get an FsX native Dash 7?

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/images/2014/05/12/pM9uW.jpg
I agree Roger. . .beautiful job! Also, much to my delight, it transfers over to P3D_V2.2 perfectly. . .aaaaand with full VC functionality!! Outstanding bird!!

guzzi
May 13th, 2014, 01:50
Thanks for all the hard work, this model has always been consistently excellent and fun to fly.
Not usually a big fan of the bigger birds in FS - but if I fly one, it's usually Milton and crew's Dash 7! Maybe because you can get it in and out of 600 yard or less grass strips?
Just one very minor issue I have noticed as well - in the BAS cargo version (not combi) their appears to be missing textures - have what appears to be 2 black boxes in the fuse. In the previous release believe the BAS cargo version had an empty fuse -no cargo in it - is this how it is supposed to be in this release?

morpheusfz
May 13th, 2014, 08:35

Same Problem on all models????

The Pictures are taken on Take Off

euroastar350
May 13th, 2014, 23:08
Fixed. Service pack will be ready soon:wavey:

malibu43
May 14th, 2014, 07:28
Thanks eurostar!

Is there a paintkit planned or available?

Bjoern
May 14th, 2014, 13:20
paint_kit_dhc-7.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=177422) (Flightsim)

malibu43
May 14th, 2014, 20:49
paint_kit_dhc-7.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.php?do=copyright&fid=177422) (Flightsim)

Thanks!

When I was flying just now, the hyperlinks in the checklist were not working...? When I clicked them, nothing would happen.

Bjoern
May 15th, 2014, 05:41
FSX doesn't support hyperlinks in checklists.

Milton did a single page checklist for the Dash back in october, but the download link is gone. I'll see if I still have it.

malibu43
May 15th, 2014, 07:50
FSX doesn't support hyperlinks in checklists.

Milton did a single page checklist for the Dash back in october, but the download link is gone. I'll see if I still have it.

I figured it was something like that. I'm totally new to this aircraft, so having those TOL cards available in-flight would really help!

Bjoern
May 15th, 2014, 09:52
Don't have it on my disk anymore.

Maybe Milton can reupload it.

malibu43
May 15th, 2014, 20:53
I took a stab at combining the checklist into a single file. Make sure to back up your original first.

ncooper
May 15th, 2014, 22:21
I find that the spoilers activate when making a left turn but not when turning right.
Is this how it should be?

euroastar350
May 16th, 2014, 03:49
Noted and fixed. The service pack should have been out already but as they say, more work, less play makes jack a dull boy:dizzy::wavey:

falcon409
May 16th, 2014, 07:01
Been listening more intently to the cockpit "callouts". . .it seems that no matter whether flaps are extended or retracted, the callout seems to be "flaps is up". I know there's a bit of an accent mixed in there, but is that really what he's saying?

falcon409
May 17th, 2014, 07:35
Interesting, no one has noticed that regardless of whether the flaps are coming up or going down. . .the callout is the same? "Flaps is up", lol. Checked the sound config file and sure enough, there is only one wave file for the flaps, even though it has more than one position. There are two zipfiles inside the sound folder that contain wav files related to the same function, one in each zipfile and they are identical to what's already being used.

Dave Torkington
May 18th, 2014, 14:53
What a superb piece of updating work and TLC to get this bird into FSX - THANK YOU! My buddy and I just flew multiplayer into Courchevel LFLJ a couple of times without a scratch... Performed beautifully :applause:

If I might just mention, I spotted that the BAS model has missing textures to the Cargo Boxes [shift+E to open big cargo door].

To fix it, take the file named 'snoskis.bmp' out of the 'Texture.273ma_a_dh7_C-FJHQ_x' folder and put it in the shared 'Texture' folder.

Here's the 'real world' Dash 7 landing at Courchevel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55SswKIn18A

Milton Shupe
May 18th, 2014, 17:24
Been listening more intently to the cockpit "callouts". . .it seems that no matter whether flaps are extended or retracted, the callout seems to be "flaps is up". I know there's a bit of an accent mixed in there, but is that really what he's saying?

Nigel has at my request provided a flaps sound without the callout. I will upload it for you when I get home from vacation.

euroastar350
May 19th, 2014, 03:55
The service pack for the Dash 7 will be out in a few hours, just have to finish compiling the remainder of the models. A big thanks goes out to SeanTK for his assistance in testing the updated files for me. The service pack will fix the following:

1.) Inner gear doors throughout all models

2.) Windshield in the virtual cockpit. The glass has no texture applied, only a hardcoded material which cannot be changed unless requested

3.) Missing texture for the "BAS" model

Also, a big thank you to Milton and Mike Kelly for allowing to convert and use their respective work in getting this aircraft into native FSX skies. I originally was going to convert the original model as released in the FS2002/FS2004, but opted to convert this new model instead:wavey: Glad everyone is enjoying this bird, there will be more where that came from:ernaehrung004:

euroastar350
May 19th, 2014, 06:10
The first and hopefully only service pack for our DeHavilland Dash 7 has been officially released. The file will be on Avsim, Simviation and Flightsim.com once their respective libraries are refreshed.

SeanTK
May 19th, 2014, 13:56
Happy to help, and looking forward to future conversions.

For those looking for the service-pack, Avsim now has it in their library as "soh_dhc7x_sp.zip".

CG_1976
May 19th, 2014, 14:25
Alright time to inspec and fire up the bird for a Tampico MX flight from Corpus. You don't want to see this KCRP scenery err. Anyone in the Scenery Dept of TX here see's this please accept a plea from me for a Coprus KCRP, it's important for my MX Dash 7 duties/smuggling lolol.

morpheusfz
May 21st, 2014, 05:02
Front inner Gear Doors are complete invisible.

falcon409
May 21st, 2014, 05:36
Front inner Gear Doors are complete invisible.
Check Avsim and flightsim.com for a service pack update!!

morpheusfz
May 21st, 2014, 07:30
This is After the Service Pack, Main Doors are now ok.

euroastar350
May 21st, 2014, 15:06
I'll check it out and update as necessary

Ripcord
May 31st, 2014, 06:04
Thank you fellas for the extra effort and the service pack. I am looking forward to some good flights in this thing.

Anybody working on any nice repaints for it?

Milton Shupe
June 1st, 2014, 12:28
Thank you fellas for the extra effort and the service pack. I am looking forward to some good flights in this thing.

Anybody working on any nice repaints for it?

I do not know but Flightsim or Simviation libraries would be better places to check.

Paint Kit is here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?action=jump&catid=7&id=17833

BendyFlyer
August 11th, 2014, 00:04
I love this aeroplane and this is a wonderful simulation. It performs exactly on the numbers and the VC is great. I would like to add a modest vote of thanks to you and others for this great piece of work. As a former real world Dash 8 driver I am seriously hooked on this aeroplane having spent many thousands of hourse in other STOL aircraft in and around Australia. I have transitioned across to the FSX Native model but I have encountered a couple of curious glitches and I would like some input from those familiar with 2D popups and VC's and FSX.

First I run an Intel 4GB dual core processor with a 2GB HP video card, this is tweaked a little but gives me relatively stable performance and generally no problems other than when the CPU is run hard with complicated terrain and weather graphics. I have FSX as a separate directory on my C drive and all my scenery is kept outside of FSX in special folders which is accessible via the FSX scenery library tools and works just fine.

Here are the problems, When I follow the cold n dark start procedure I could get it to start with the condition and prop levers in the recommended positions, the engines motored but did not catch. I then checked the alternative popups for the main and throttle quadrant, this showed that allthough I had selected the levers via the VC, they were still in the wrong position on the popup, when I corrected via the popup this they started properly. I have noted that using the VC controls the starter engage button light does not go out either when engines are running and the engine selector is in the OFF position and the starter control switch is placed in the normal position. The advice about cycling the props/power does get rid of some erroneous annunciator panel indicators. I have found that the VC power and prop levers work fine if I use CTL+E for auto engine start and in all other aspects work as I would expect and should. I have reloaded the files and tried again, once it did start as described, but then again it would not on later flights. I also find that the flap setting indicator seems to be out of whack when full flap (45) is selected. I am not sure but it also seems the on/off sense for overhead switches seems to be reversed on GENS, ICING and DC controls so that they do not match the overhead labels. I might add that the 2D popups work correctly but there is a mismatch here and there with some switches not working and others. I also found that if I attempted to the manual start and this did not work and reverted to the auto start key commands that it left the No2 engine in a high power situation which would not correct. At least the shutdown and feathering worked and I had a taste of some assymetic flying in this great machine, so a lesson learnt.

I had removed the automation dll from FSX some time ago as it caused me numerous problems with view switches in other models and wonder if this needs to be put back or updated on my system. Other than that I am at a loss to resolve these issues not that it would stop me from flying this bird to which I am now seriously addicted.

Here is a snap of the Dash with one feathered returning for a landing. I got the shockwave lights data from the OZX forum.

Milton Shupe
August 11th, 2014, 04:46
Bendyflyer,

Thanks for the comments.

The Dash 7 panel has about 500 callouts for gauges. This can create conflicts between the 2D and VC panels.

If you do not use the 2D panels, then I would recommend eliminating them as a test to see if most of the issues are resolved.

Make a copy of the panel.cfg before modifying.

Eliminate all 2D panels from the window00 thru window10.

[Window Titles]
Window00=Instrument panel
Window01=Engzoom
Window02=Pedestal
Window03=Navzoom
Window04=OVERHEAD_PANEL
Window05=GPS
Window06=AP Zoom
Window07=ECU Small
Window08=radio_stack_panel
Window09=TOL Cards
Window10=RwyInfo

Eliminate each of the associated [windowsnn] sections and gauges listed.
Leave only the vcockpitnn sections.

Test for results.

Unfortunately I no longer have a gauge programmer and my skills are limited to panel creation basics with some mods capabilities.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Attached is a modified panel.cfg zipped for testing.

fliger747
August 11th, 2014, 09:28
A note from my dim memories as a Dash seven driver many years ago is that there is no gear or flap sound heard in the cockpit excepting a bot of a thump as the nose or mains lock into position up or down, perhaps a bit of wind noise and slight burble sound from the nose extended in flight. The hydraulic motors/pumps, which give the whine, are in the wing root area.

Very pleased to see interest in this somewhat rare and venerable product of Canada.

Cheers: Tom

BendyFlyer
August 11th, 2014, 16:14
Milton, thanks a lot I will give this a run today and see what happens. Your feedback and assistance is appreciated.

I understand your issue about gauges. I have been working on a remake of Jens Kristensen's Shorts Hythe to make it back into a Shorts Sunderland, the gauges have been a real pain and I must confess designing them from scratch is beyond my skills but due to it being a 2004 port over some panels will stay as popups and alas Jens answers no emails so I guess we will just issue it and be done with it.

fliger747 - yep that was the same for the Dash 8 no noise except air noise and airflow changes when the gear doors opened and the thump as the gear locked down, given they have a common heritage and parts it is not surprising. The flap PTO on the ground could grind and groan occasionally and I always felt the Dash was distinctly agricultural compared to pure jets and some other turboprops like the King Air. The Dash 8 100 was no slouch at short fields either but nothing on the Dash 7 and while I saw a few around the traps never had a chance to fly in one. As a STOL driver and bush flyer basically all my flying career I wish I had had the chance to fly the 7, Milton's work makes up for it and I just can't get out of it, well except to try carrier landings in his Tracker and occasionally to reminisce with the 727. My award for the shortest landing yet though goes to the BN-2 which you could get down on the piano keys and turn off at the first taxiway at Broome (RWY 28) if you were really on top of the beast. I reckon if you dropped the Dash 7 into beta before touchdown and hit the brakes and reverse thrust simultaneously it would probably do the same!

BendyFlyer
August 12th, 2014, 00:08
Milton, thanks for the panel cfg. This appears to have resolved the conflicts re the 2D v VC control positions. I can get all 4 started via the manual start method, though I must admit as an ex turboprop driver not seeing an N1 rise before introducing fuel via the condition lever does catch me out but I can live with it. There does appear to be some mixup in the starter engine select switch logic now and then, i.e no. 2 Engine will start first not no.1 but they all catch eventually. I will ponder the coding for the switches in my spare time as well as the issue of the lag in the power reduction for prop power reduction after take off but I think it is probably an issue with my joystick and FSUIPC and not the modelling. One thing is for sure, nothing is ever straightforward with FSX, you get it right for one situation and start all over again with another.

BendyFlyer
August 12th, 2014, 00:14
For those interested and able to use them here is the shockwave lights data for the Dash courtesy of the Aussie Flight Sim Forum OZX:

Just cut and paste replacing the current light data in the aircraft cfg file.

LIGHTS]
//Types: 1 – Beacon, 2 – Strobe, 3 – Navigation, 4 – Cockpit , 5 – Landing, 6 – Taxi, 7 – Recognition, 8 – Wing, 9 – Logo, 10 – Cabin
light.0=3, -1.9, -46.4, 3.6, fx_shockwave_navred_nl,
light.1=3, -1.9, 46.3, 3.6, fx_shockwave_navgre_nl,
light.2=2, -2.3, 46.4, 3.7, fx_shockwave_strobe_l_nl,
light.3=2, -2.3, -46.4, 3.7, fx_shockwave_strobe_l_nl_3,
light.4=1, -43.4, 0.2, 17.17, fx_shockwave_beaconh_l,
light.5=1, 5.35, 0.0, -7.60, fx_shockwave_beaconb_nl,
light.6=10, 9.00, 0.0, -3.0, Fx_D7cbn3 ,
light.7=10, 4.00, 0.0, -3.0, Fx_D7cbn2 ,
light.8=10, 0.00, 0.0, -3.0, Fx_D7cbn3 ,
light.9=10, -4.00, 0.0, -3.0, Fx_D7cbn2 ,
light.10=10, -9.00, 0.0, -3.0, Fx_D7cbn3 ,
light.11=10, -16.00, -1.0, -3.5, Fx_D7cbn2 ,
light.12=3, -46.1, 0.1, 1.2, fx_shockwave_navwhi_nl,
light.13=2, -44.8, 0.02, -0.85, fx_shockwave_strobe_l_nl_2,

//-------------- Landing Lights ------------
light.14=5, -1.40, -31.4, 1.10, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_tail ,
light.15=5, -1.40, 31.4, 1.10, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_tail ,
light.16=5, 1.00, -34.70, 2.65, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_tail ,
light.17=5, 1.00, 34.70, 2.65, fx_Shockwave_landing_light_tail ,

//--------------- Taxi Light --------------
light.18=6, 23.54, 0.00, -7.90, fx_shockwave_landing_light_small,

[smokesystem]
smoke.0= 10, -22.0, 1.5, fx_smoke_f6,
smoke.1= 12, -11.0, 1.0, fx_smoke_f6,
smoke.2= 12, 11.0, 1.0, fx_smoke_f6,
smoke.3= 10, 22.0, 1.5, fx_smoke_f6,

Bjoern
June 24th, 2015, 19:19
Sorry to bump this one.
Here's a fixed engine starter for the Dash as the original code was valid for FS9, but suffered from K: var spam in FSX. This made the startup process terribly unreliable.
No more flickering annunciator lights and the starter will disengage automatically after ignition, so the engines will much sooner return to idle condition.

Either replace the entire content of panel\ST_Dash3 with the text here:
http://pastebin.com/DTitwk8f
(http://pastebin.com/DTitwk8f)

Or download the attached text file, change the file extension to .xml and then overwrite the original file with it.

P.S:
Any bored painters out there who want to return the favor with
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/9/5/9/0643959.jpg or
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/2/2/2/1400222.jpg or
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/4/9/3/1021394.jpg or
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/1/0/3/1949301.jpg or
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/6/2/4/1896426.jpg or
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/5/2/4/1896425.jpg or
http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/5/3/9/1421935.jpg
?