PDA

View Full Version : AlacrityPC

nemokin
May 12th, 2014, 05:25
I have read about this but have not actually used it yet.

Wanted to hear impressions from those who tried this already.

Any thoughts?

Paul J
May 12th, 2014, 06:54
I have read about this but have not actually used it yet.

Any thoughts?

What have you read, Nemokin?

Regards,

pj

nemokin
May 12th, 2014, 07:11
Well, just the basics. It temporarily inactivates unnecessary software running in the background so that as much CPU resource can be dedicated to FSX related ones only.

What I don't know is how easy it is to use, i.e. Turning off the ones I should and keeping the ones I need left on.

Paul J
May 12th, 2014, 07:46
Well, just the basics. It temporarily inactivates unnecessary software running in the background so that as much CPU resource can be dedicated to FSX related ones only.

What I don't know is how easy it is to use, i.e. Turning off the ones I should and keeping the ones I need left on.

Nemokin, my friend - Please - read the DX10 "How-To" guide in the pinned post at the top of this forum . It answers almost every question about the software configuration of the PC, including a paragraph about Alacrity on page 3.

Also - while you're on that pinned "How-To" post - take a look at the other 37 or so, files listed there, as one of those files is the complete "How-To" for the Alacrity software - the msi, a setup guide, process lists and pics showing every step of the way.

Check out the other files, pics and links to the other valuable "read this" material - read or copy them for future reference - ok! :encouragement:

Regards,

pj

Adamski_NZ
May 12th, 2014, 21:30
as one of those files is the complete "How-To" for the Alacrity software - the msi, a setup guide, process lists and pics showing every step of the way.
Paul - I can't see for looking! Do you have a link [please]? I grabbed "Alacrity" a while back, but have yet to set it up.

Adam.

Paul J
May 13th, 2014, 05:08
Fourth line down in the pinned How-To (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?86548-How-To-s-Files-and-Pics), Adam - on the right side of the list.

ok!

All the Best

pj

Adamski_NZ
May 13th, 2014, 07:05
Fourth line down in the pinned How-To (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?86548-How-To-s-Files-and-Pics), Adam - on the right side of the list.
Ahah! I was looking in your "How-To" PDF file!

Many thanks!

Adam.

lownslo
May 13th, 2014, 08:45

Tried it a few years ago (and its predecessor, which Ken called "FSAutostart"). Alacrity works fine and is rather benign (one must get really adventuresome to do any serious damage with it) but it raises an important question:

Why add a program just to shut down programs (and services)?

I long ago stopped using programs like these and instead tune the OS to run as best it can given what I wish it to do. Study the OS, learn what makes it run well, learn what makes it run badly, tune the Services per my needs and usage patterns, keep a watchful eye on what's happening under the hood (i.e. those nice programs that always add themselves to the Start Menu when we install them. BAH!), and always keep Autoruns at the ready. The goal is to configure a lean, mean computing machine... nothing running that I don't need. Programs like Alacrity will only slow my machine.

Latest version of Autoruns (11.70) here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Regards,

Greg

Paul J
May 13th, 2014, 13:13
Your main paragraph couldn't be said better by Bill Gates, Greg, however.. ( a small 2 cents)

Why add a program just to shut down programs (and services)? (I know - just don't start them!)

Well, at 9 o'clock in the morning I need the Microsoft Updater running, as I run their mssecs security app, Windows 7, Visual Basic 2012, MalwareBytes, DropBox - all of which need ad-hoc network access: I use PaintShop Pro X4 quite often, and Magix Video DL - these two requiring security access to run:TeamViewer likes to be ready: the usual browsers, and email; plus, as you say - knowing your pc - there are a number of general "MS nuisance apps" running for various reasons. I have a nice bunch of work cut out for me for most of the day, and the pc must be able to manage Word, or Excel, as easily as the flight sim, so that means a number of services running, and a few programs.

The goal later in the day, though - is to configure a lean, mean "FSX machine"... nothing running that I don't need - but when I want it..

...and I will 1000% agree with that statement, and while I also absolutely agree that one should also become as utterly familiar with the pc and it's OS in the deepest manner - the caveat there has to be - provided one has the knowledge and confidence, by profession or education - and there are not many FSX'ers in this bracket. Being a Unix guy - I'm not sure I'm in that bracket either! I understand where you're coming from, Greg, but AlacrityPC (or similar) is the easiest way for most guys (and me) to go. One tiny footprint - a click away, and the pc is lean. FSX here I come!:biggrin-new:

All the Best, :encouragement:

pj