PDA

View Full Version : Got me a new GPU and looking for Nvidia Inspector settings

darrenkarp
May 6th, 2014, 10:10
Hi All,

Thanks to PaulJ I managed to OC my rig to just shy of 3.9Ghz (i7 920) and have now installed a GTX 770 replacing my GTX 480 and it's amazing. Now I'd like some Nvidia Inspector settings advice if anyone could help.

Cheers
DK

nemokin
May 6th, 2014, 17:11
I recently debut to DX10 and bought the same card over last weekend.
Since my CPU is running at 4.5 GHz, my settings may not work for you,
but since the card is the same, attached is my NI capture.

Again, although the graphics card is the same as yours, CPU is different
so be warned if my setting doesn't work for you.

darrenkarp
May 7th, 2014, 10:54
Thanks very much. I'll give that a whirl!

darrenkarp
May 7th, 2014, 10:55
One thing I did notice however is that you have FXAA turned off. Any reason?

nemokin
May 7th, 2014, 12:30
I'm not an expert in this area, so can't give you an explanation why I have it off.
Simply, it was recommended by someone who knows this well that I leave it off
given my PC spec and GTX770.

I have one correction to my previous NI example.
Anisotropic setting that shows 8x was corrected to 16x.

noddy
May 7th, 2014, 12:56
7920These are my settings, which I am sure I copy for here.
Click to enlarge

lownslo
May 7th, 2014, 14:32
One thing I did notice however is that you have FXAA turned off. Any reason?

FXAA just makes the aircraft in the Preview Screen look nicer. For most folks it isn't worth the overhead of enabling FXAA.

Greg

Paul J
May 8th, 2014, 07:31
A 3.9 gig processor won't allow for anything more than a 2x SGSS, so the profile should be as near stock as possible, and FXAA should be, as Greg suggests - disallowed.

Here (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xplps2hiahbijy5/AACTDTLXUuviDtvVANbrylAoa) are the three 'normal' Inspector that will work for everyone, depending upon the low-med-high grade of pc.

In this 2x version, Darren, you might want to change the Triple-Buffering and Vertical Sync Smooth AFR to off. I haven't tested it for "extra load' but it might be, so I guess you could test it.

All the Best,

pj

Capt. Speirs
May 8th, 2014, 09:17
A 3.9 gig processor won't allow for anything more than a 2x SGSS, so the profile should be as near stock as possible, and FXAA should be, as Greg suggests - disallowed.

Here (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xplps2hiahbijy5/AACTDTLXUuviDtvVANbrylAoa) are the three 'normal' Inspector that will work for everyone, depending upon the low-med-high grade of pc.

In this 2x version, Darren, you might want to change the Triple-Buffering and Vertical Sync Smooth AFR to off. I haven't tested it for "extra load' but it might be, so I guess you could test it.

All the Best,

pj

Is that why I am having problems running 4x SGSS with my i7 3770K OC 4.4 GHz and GTX 680? Should I also run 2x? I have tried it with and without Bufferpools, without seems a bit better but I am still getting white squares and black squares in scenery occasionally. Especially when switching from VC to Locked External View. Sometimes the sky flashes white also. I am so ready for a complete reinstall to trim some fat.

Paul J
May 8th, 2014, 14:01
Is that why I am having problems running 4x SGSS with my i7 3770K OC 4.4 GHz and GTX 680? Should I also run 2x? I have tried it with and without Bufferpools, without seems a bit better but I am still getting white squares and black squares in scenery occasionally. Especially when switching from VC to Locked External View. Sometimes the sky flashes white also. I am so ready for a complete reinstall to trim some fat.

Hi Ric;

If you're specifically talking about white squares and black flashes - they can usually occur when the texture to be shown doesn't have time to display - or simply is missing. You can find the missing texture by turning Missing Texture detection on in the Fixer (or ShowMissingTextureAlert=1 under [Display]in the fsx.cfg).

Much of our FSX problems come from a combination of all of your settings. I can tell you - I run 5.0 gig with a 780, and only run 4x SGSS, because it's one of the hardest variants of SuperSampling AA that there is. 4.5 LOD, too, and very modest traffic.
4x SGSS is "ok" for yours, because you do need decent AA - and that will give it to you, but you have to make compromises if you want to see 30 continuously. 8x will cripple FSX. This completely prevents running nice clouds, water, "NGX"-type aircraft, "London", "Seattle", "Paris", "New York" - all the "heavy" aircraft and scenery's that makes the sim shine! It stops you going from 1280 x 1024 to 1920 x 1080, though hardware comes more into play there.

Trying "with" and "without" BufferPools means a lot of testing, too, Ric: one cannot just turn bufferpools on or off. If you remove the section from the fsx.cfg - you have just set your graphics buffer control to "UsePools=1" and no reject threshold. 4.4 gig and a 680? I would have UsePools=0 and never change it.

UsePools=1 means you control the parameters and buffer type:
UsePools=0 means the gpu controls the parameters and buffer type.

If UsePools="0", then water may be set to 6 to fix it. I'm not particularly convinced that that is the answer (Bojote mentions "cloud flashing caused by the "0" "), as Swap_Wait_Timeout is in there, along with FFTF and a couple of other testable parameters, like Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames (Inspector) - it's in there too.

Lastly - your use of the words " I am still getting white squares and black squares occasionally" is a very subjective comment, and is one of the "compromise" and "expectations" issues that one either accepts, and gets on with the flight, or one gets hung up on, and it ruins the flight. If there was a "correct" and "known" fix, Ric - I'd be the first here with the news, but it's just not as simple as I or we would like. You need to set up "the test flight" and test, test, test, until suddenly - the flash doesn't happen. In electronics this has to be repeatable, too, so that you can be sure that you have, indeed found the cause.

... sorry - I'm afraid it's another long-winded post..... (sigh)

All the Best, :encouragement:

pj

Capt. Speirs
May 8th, 2014, 15:04
Hi Ric;

If you're specifically talking about white squares and black flashes - they can usually occur when the texture to be shown doesn't have time to display - or simply is missing. You can find the missing texture by turning Missing Texture detection on in the Fixer (or ShowMissingTextureAlert=1 under [Display]in the fsx.cfg).

Much of our FSX problems come from a combination of all of your settings. I can tell you - I run 5.0 gig with a 780, and only run 4x SGSS, because it's one of the hardest variants of SuperSampling AA that there is. 4.5 LOD, too, and very modest traffic. 4x SGSS is "ok" for yours, because you do need decent AA - and that will give it to you, but you have to make compromises if you want to see 30 continuously. 8x will cripple FSX. This completely prevents running nice clouds, water, "NGX"-type aircraft, "London", "Seattle", "Paris", "New York" - all the "heavy" aircraft and scenery's that makes the sim shine! It stops you going from 1280 x 1024 to 1920 x 1080, though hardware comes more into play there.

Trying "with" and "without" BufferPools means a lot of testing, too, Ric: one cannot just turn bufferpools on or off. If you remove the section from the fsx.cfg - you have just set your graphics buffer control to "UsePools=1" and no reject threshold. 4.4 gig and a 680? I would have UsePools=0 and never change it.

UsePools=1 means you control the parameters and buffer type:
UsePools=0 means the gpu controls the parameters and buffer type.

If UsePools="0", then water may be set to 6 to fix it. I'm not particularly convinced that that is the answer (Bojote mentions "cloud flashing caused by the "0" "), as Swap_Wait_Timeout is in there, along with FFTF and a couple of other testable parameters, like Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames (Inspector) - it's in there too.

Lastly - your use of the words " I am still getting white squares and black squares occasionally" is a very subjective comment, and is one of the "compromise" and "expectations" issues that one either accepts, and gets on with the flight, or one gets hung up on, and it ruins the flight. If there was a "correct" and "known" fix, Ric - I'd be the first here with the news, but it's just not as simple as I or we would like. You need to set up "the test flight" and test, test, test, until suddenly - the flash doesn't happen. In electronics this has to be repeatable, too, so that you can be sure that you have, indeed found the cause.

... sorry - I'm afraid it's another long-winded post..... (sigh)

All the Best, :encouragement:

pj

thanks, you have actually cleared up a lot for me. I do use BufferPools=0 and I have played with different settings, I think my next step is to start fresh. I have so much clutter from addons and utilities that I no longer use, it must be a problem that is not readily evident. The squares only happen once per view switch and I really need to forget about it and fly. I usually fly from the cockpit and have been recently poking my head out to see what DX10 is doing instead of flying. So, back into my hole and fly.