PDA

View Full Version : Default Airports in FS9

hawkeye52
January 21st, 2009, 17:08
I am trying to locate certain default airports in FS9 for the purpose of modifying them. [They are NOT airports associated with FS9's major cities.]

Where are the default airports kept?
How are they identifiable?
Once found, what tools will I need to edit them?

As always, I'll greatly appreciate your help.

- H52

Astoroth
January 21st, 2009, 23:25
What are you wanting to modify? Runways, aprons, taxiways you need AFCAD 2.2, at avsim or flightsim. For buildings layouts, you either need Instant Scenery to place ready made objects, or FSDS or GMAX to create your own, and a tool such as the old Airport for windows or the newer SceneGenX to place them with. Instant scenery and FSDS are payware, the rest are freeware.

If working with existing airports, you might also need a Flatten and Exclude tool as well. I use ExcBuilder V.2 for excludes, I think I got it at AVSIM. Flattens can be done in either AFW or SceneGenX. Google is your friend when looking for them.....

Hope this helps.

~A~

falcon409
January 22nd, 2009, 04:03
I am trying to locate certain default airports in FS9 for the purpose of modifying them. [They are NOT airports associated with FS9's major cities.]
Where are the default airports kept?- H52
Generally you'll find all default airports in the main Scenery folder

. . . . .How are they identifiable?- H52
That's the trick, they're not identifiable at all without the tools Astoroth mentioned. You can't simply go into the scenery folder and grab an airport and change it without the proper tools.

I use AFX (payware) to handle AFCADS only because it allows me to work with both FS9 and FSX afcads within the same program. This will allow you to change or add taxiways, rwys, build completely new airports from scratch, etc. Astoroth also mentioned Instant Scenery which is what I use and it's an excellent program for adding all manner of hangars, vegetation, vehicles, buildings, etc to an existing airport or any new airport you might want to build.

If you are going to dive into this with both feet, then be prepared to get addicted to it. Once you do an airport and see the results, you'll be tweaking every little airport around where you live as well, lol. Also, be prepared to have to sift through any number of utilities for designing airports or placing objects because if this thread lasts any time at all, you'll hear about all of them from others who use them and not the few Astoroth or I have mentioned.

One good site to go to for assistance or just to browse the threads and see what others are discussing will be FSDevelopers.com. Good luck.

hawkeye52
January 22nd, 2009, 09:33
Thank you, fellas; I'm off to try my hand on some simple back-dating. :typing:
- H52

srgalahad
January 22nd, 2009, 10:52
The one-stop-shopping site for a lot of answers, software and help is the Scenery Hall of Fame:

http://www.scenery.org/about_us.htm

Rob