PDA

View Full Version : FSX Golden Edition + Acceleration doubts

mvg3d
April 25th, 2014, 02:07
Hi Friends,
Please excuse me for the "stupid" question :
I just made the complete installation of the "MSFSX Golden Edition + Acceleration" I received as "Easter Gift" from my wife.
I don't know enough FSX installation procedures, I'm an old FS9 user (only), the question is this :
It is necessary the SP_1 & SP_2 installation ?
I read in a related thread (here at SOH) that "Golden" doesn't needs these SPs, but I'm not so sure......
For example I cannot find the "Grey" livery for the "Pidgeon" I saw on the my friend's PC.......
Can someone help me ?

System Data : Windows 7 "Ultimate" on a "Centrino 2" machine.

:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

Daube
April 25th, 2014, 02:23
In theory, you don't need to install SP1 and SP2, because Acceleration is an alternative to these.
So if you already installed FSX and Acceleration, then you don't need anything else, you can proceed with the tweaking and the addons :)

Also, you will probably notice that the interface is a little bit different than FS9. To see all of the aircraft variants, you'll need to tick a little option that says "show all variants" in the aircraft selection window.

Take your time to read about the FSX configuration and the tweaks, it's worth it.

Roger
April 25th, 2014, 04:03
I thought FsX Gold included Acceleration?

SkippyBing
April 25th, 2014, 04:28

It includes the disc in the box, it's the same installation process as if you brought them separately as I remember.

mike_cyul
April 25th, 2014, 04:32
With FSX Gold Edition, you only need to install FSX, and then Acceleration. You do not need SP1 and SP2.

SP1 and SP2 are not really alternatives to Acceleration (although they're better than nothing if running FSX without Acceleration). As mentioned on the FR website, SP2 (and I'm guessing SP1) and Acceleration were developed by different teams within Microsoft. SP2 is a fix to earlier problems within FSX, and Acceleration provides the same fixes but also supplies new features to FSX and changes certain aircraft parameters (such as engine and flight dynamics).

PHo17
April 25th, 2014, 07:43
FSX Gold is all you need for anything with FSX.

FSX DeLuxe with SP2 (and SP1) is enough for almost everything but some addons (mostly airplanes) require Acceletor which comes with Gold version. It's also recommended with some addons (like for example VR simulation Superbug and Tac pack) which not absolutely requiering it. Also Windows 7 64 (or win 8.1 64) with 8GB RAM is recommended by many addons because that leaves most memory for use with FSX itself. I recommend also installing the SDK in spite of using it or not because - once again some addons (or FSX utilities) may need it (it comes for example with bgl compiler).

Pekka

Edit: Here is a good link for installing FSX: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?59416-My-links-guide-to-setting-up-FSX-11-July-2012

trucker17
April 25th, 2014, 08:32
I have FSX+ Acceleration.
I have not added either SP packs, When I checked with Microsoft about them, I was told they are not needed, because acceleration already has them.....

trucker17
April 25th, 2014, 08:34

It does include it.

Rudyjo
April 25th, 2014, 12:35
Some effects won't work without Acceleration. Many of the effects in Mike's Super Cub Ultra will not work or even show up without it.

b24_witchcraft
April 25th, 2014, 15:48
This should explain the differences in each version - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X

Acceleration introduces new features, including multiplayer air racing, new missions, and three all-new aircraft, the F/A-18A Hornet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F/A-18_Hornet), EH-101 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EH-101) helicopter and the P-51D Mustang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-51D_Mustang).
The expansion pack includes code from both service packs, thus installing them is unnecessary.

napamule
April 25th, 2014, 16:58
mvg3d,
You should review the proceedure for installing FSX 'Gold' dvd's. One is the FSX Deluxe. You install that and activate with product Key (if you have internet connection active it will go do this for you).

Then you start FSX and fly for a few minutes, so FSX can write whatever files it needs to write (ie: set uf for audio, video, etc). Exit FSX. Then you re-start Windows. You defrag whatever HD the FSX install is on. Again, re-start Windows.

When the dust settles, then you install the Accelleration DVD and activate it with product key (again, if internet access is active, it will do it automatically). When you finish install of Accelleration, with no errors, you start FSX, fly around, then exit FSX. Re-start Windows. Defrag the HD again. Re-start Windows one more time. That should do it. Go get the online (Jesus) fsx tweak and go fly. Set realistic sliders. Set fps locked at 30 fps and if you get 29 to 29.9, then you are doing it right. If you have a LAPTOP (ie: limitation) then set to 24 fps. 20? You have to 'get real' here if you have a laptop. No laptop is going to perform like a desktop. Never. Sorry about that. That's life.

Then stop SERVICES that are not required (google for list). Also turn off Indexing Service, or you will get stutters and pauses. You do not need Indexing Service, but you DO need smooth flying FSX. Good luck.
Chuck B
Napamule

Dimus
April 26th, 2014, 06:38
Welcome to FSX Manuelle!

Your FS9 fame is well known, as well as your excellent work, especially on Italian and Greek subjects.

To install FSX I would suggest Nick's "Bible". A lot of reading and it starts from the basics of even installing "clean" Windows but worth the effort for a clean and crisp install:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Let me know also if you're looking for Greek stuff for FSX.

bstolle
April 26th, 2014, 07:50
Be careful when applying some of the tweaks. Applying them correctly (if at all possible) and it costs a lot of time with most of the time questionable results.

IMO there's only a single change to the fsx.cfg file required to run FSX very nicely and that's the HIGHMEMFIX.

BTW, Acceleration is a must.