PDA

View Full Version : OFX Simulations USA MegaMesh

rewasiuk
April 14th, 2014, 11:38
Just wondering what everybody thinks about that titled software. Had a look at the screenshots and it does look impressive and the price is reasonable.

Meshman
April 14th, 2014, 14:12
I wouldn't risk my $$ on it. Now let me explain why.

If you check the details for the product it says it's 3.5gb~ in size. A few years back someone released 5m mesh for the state of Kalifornia and that product's size was over 3gb. So I'm left wondering how this unknown developer (to me) was able to squeeze all of the 48 states, at 5m resolution, into something <3.5gb?

The same developer is offering all of So Amer and Central Amer at 10m res and it doesn't take up more than 2gb! And I try to track sources to make mesh and I've found no source close to 10m for So Amer, free or licensed.

The quoted product sizes don't match up to reality. Using generally accepted compiling parameters the lower 48 states at 10m res will take up over 11gb of space. The free So Amer mesh I have that is at 90m res takes up 2.5gb.

So something isn't right here, IMHO. And seeing as this developer is now planning on doing a Gulfstream payware product.... :biggrin-new:

I don't begrudge any developer the chance to make money, but the mesh world has seen some real odd things over the years.

rewasiuk
April 15th, 2014, 11:26
Thanks meshman for your input you have certainly settled my mind about that product.