PDA

View Full Version : Istalling FSX Service Packs 1 & 2

rpjkw
April 11th, 2014, 06:52
My version of FSX was bought within three months of the original FSX release. Though installed, I never used FSX. Now with an FSX capable system, I thought I'd install the service packs. SP1 requires the insertion of the first disc. Fine, but then it appears to want to reinstall FSX all over again and that's time consuming. SP2 says I need an english version (WTH!) and my system is not modified, probably referring to the missing SP1.

So, after I download SP1 and run it, do I simply insert disc 1 and wander off somewhere until it does it's thing and/or wants disc 2 inserted? I realize I'm years behind the power curve, but I'm fast coming to the conclusion that FSX is far more trouble than it's worth.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Another thought: I'm not sure I registered FSX with the latest/new pc install. Does that even matter?

manfredc3
April 11th, 2014, 07:29
If I remember it well, when installing SP1 it will ask for disk 1 and then disk 3. It is not re-installing FSX all over, it is authenticity of the FSX install and pulling some files from the SDK.
And yes you do need SP1 installed, before installing SP2. One more piece of advice.... After installing SP1, load the default flight for a few seconds, the shut down FSX and restart your pc.

Oh, and you do have to complete activation of FSX.

I hope this helps you getting FSX up and running.

rpjkw
April 11th, 2014, 07:33
Thanks, Manfred. You mentioned Disc 3? My FSX came with only two. In the meantime, I'll register FSX.

Thanks,

Bob

rpjkw
April 11th, 2014, 07:56
FSX SP 1&2 installed. I remember seeing 558 minutes remaining after inserting disc 1, that's what gave me pause.

Bob

Daveroo
April 11th, 2014, 09:02
well now you need orbix global and vector and some of the areas,like norcal and pacific north west...and youll really like FSX

mike_cyul
April 11th, 2014, 10:19
And you should install Acceleration, if you have it, as this will give you more accurate engine and flight dynamics for most new aircraft.

Mike

rpjkw
April 11th, 2014, 14:45
I plan to get acceleration and other addons, especially scenery. First, though, I'll have to get used to the many differences. IIRC, 2D panels aren't the same as FS9. I've never been a fan of 3D cockpits, though that might change with experience. Since I'm planning to built a desktop in a month or two (with Win 7) that WILL handle FSX as well as any addons I buy, I'm guessing now is the time to learn FSX.

Bob