PDA

View Full Version : Alpha RF-8 model

Quicksand
October 5th, 2008, 17:11
Since the Alpha forums are down, where can I find the RF-8 model for their Crusader? I just got it recently, and found a repaint that requires this modified model. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

TARPSBird
October 5th, 2008, 19:48
It's ALPHA_RF-8A_Crusader.zip right here at SOH. :) Pls tell me what repaint you've found, it may be one I don't have.

Quicksand
October 6th, 2008, 05:20
Thanks for the HU, TARPSbird. The paint I found was one of several I found at FlightSim.com. It is called vfp-306 v1.1, by Flyboy Productions. I also found some beauties from rsgunner, and others. Thanks to all for these outstanding textures. TARPSbird, I'm off to find that model file, my friend. Thanks.

Quicksand
October 6th, 2008, 05:32
After further review..... It seems the RF-8A model here is the old freeware Crusader, in fact, it is the complete aircraft. I should have stated that I have purchased the newer payware Crusader. I looked closer:redf: at the readme file for the repaint I'm trying to add, and it calls for a model titled RF-8G... So I'm thinking this is a different animal.... Searches turned up zilch at the usual sites. Still trying....

Quicksand
October 6th, 2008, 06:54
Update: I sent Alpha an email to inquire about this model. I'll report back later....

rsgunner
October 6th, 2008, 08:11
I can tell you that AlphaSim never released that model.

It had been made available by the designer to those that requested it after purchase of the package had been verified. That was only for a short time.

Russ

Quicksand
October 6th, 2008, 09:10
Is there any way to contact the model's designer?

deathfromafar
October 6th, 2008, 10:12
Is there any way to contact the model's designer?

The designer is Carl Edwards FKA "Ninja-mouse" from his Alphasim days. Not sure how to reach him or if anyone else here does. He is a super nice fellow from my past experiences with him.

Quicksand
October 6th, 2008, 10:15
Thanks, deathfromafar. I'll try to get in touch with him when my work is done...

Mickey D
October 6th, 2008, 13:38
Quicksand PM me.

delta_lima
October 6th, 2008, 15:31
Just to manage expectations on the "RF-" model ...

First, as has been noted, it is not officially supported by Alphasim - to the extent that that is even an issue now ... but I digress.

Secondly, and more importantly, the model is NOT an RF model, as was the case in the old Alphasim RF- of FS2002 days. This is only the standard E with pylons deleted. The large, radar-housing nose is the same, the rounded (versus square) front ventral profile is the same as the fighter version, the refueling probe is housed ina blister, rather than fully flush inside the fuselage, there are no modeled camera windows, etc.

When I worked as beta tester for this project with Carl, I pitched really hard for the photo bird, but alas, it just didn't happen. The "model" that's being bandied about allows the RF paints to work, and gives the model a "psuedo RF-4" look. I'm certainly grateful that this stopgap solution exists, and that repainters have done the best they could to approximate the look of the RF as best as possible under the circumstances - but it is a pity, given the historical importance of these birds, that a true recce version was never done.

If I had one FS wish, it would be for an Alphasim or equivalent RF-8 for FS9. I'm not going to say I think it'll never happen .... all I'll say is, thank goodness for the recce versions of the Voodoo and Phantom ... 'cause that's all fast tac photo recce out there, I'm afraid, for cold war jets. And the AH Panther, I suppose - but, time will tell.

I hope that helps clear things up.

dl

michael davies
October 6th, 2008, 15:56
I heard a whisper there might be a new F-8 kicking around somewhere ;), probably FSx native though, maybe FS9 as well.

Best

Michael

TARPSBird
October 6th, 2008, 22:06
AlphaSim's RF-8A which I referenced in my post above is not a F-8E in photo bird textures, it is the actual dedicated photo version. The major structural difference (aside from no cannon or weapons stations) is the flat sides and bottom of the forward fuselage to accommodate the camera bay windows. Admittedly it is rather dated these days but Phil and crew (Michael Davies included) did a nice job on the old bird. When it came out I sent screenshots to several pilots from VFP-63 who flew the RF-8 during Vietnam and they gave it a thumbs-up. It flies OK in FS2004 although you get the "some features may not work..." prompt when you start a flight. It needs a F-8 panel and sound alias to your choice of jet noise. Go ahead and play with it, the price is right. :)

OBIO
October 6th, 2008, 22:22
For those who decide to grab the older freeware RF-8A, or any of the Alpha Sim Crusaders, I did panel sets for them all...using the original panel bmp from the collection Phil released as freeware over on Simviation.com. The panel set for the RF-8A includes a working (at least in CFS2) camera view. CFS2 gauges are included in the packs.

OBIO

michael davies
October 7th, 2008, 04:39
AlphaSim's RF-8A which I referenced in my post above is not a F-8E in photo bird textures, it is the actual dedicated photo version. The major structural difference (aside from no cannon or weapons stations) is the flat sides and bottom of the forward fuselage to accommodate the camera bay windows. Admittedly it is rather dated these days but Phil and crew (Michael Davies included) did a nice job on the old bird. When it came out I sent screenshots to several pilots from VFP-63 who flew the RF-8 during Vietnam and they gave it a thumbs-up. It flies OK in FS2004 although you get the "some features may not work..." prompt when you start a flight. It needs a F-8 panel and sound alias to your choice of jet noise. Go ahead and play with it, the price is right. :)

Thats ma gal LOL, was a pig to model that variable incidence wing back then in FSDS, no stackable animations like we have these days, I think it worked out at two wings and three sets of slats and flaps all with visable codes to show the correct one at each stage of the animation :isadizzy:.

Nice to see it still getting some air time :applause:

Best

Michael

WarHorse47
October 7th, 2008, 15:18
Hey, Quicksand.

Did you get the clean model you asked for? :jump:

--WH