PDA

View Full Version : Waco SRE Test bed in FS9

sblzei
January 21st, 2009, 04:55
While my FSx puter is out for repair, I wanted to test the new WACO SRE anyway. Tried with FS9, but it refused to load the model, so I transplanted the .cfg and .air files in the FS9 stock Piper Cub, added a new 2D panel I'm working on (still provisional), and did some little writing on the exterior (for better identification). And there I went.

The airplane looks well balanced and handles very well, take off requires a very moderate pull, and touchdown is easy with no risk of overturning.
In summary: a very good flying model.

Now my question is: how is the behavior of the airplane affected by the different environment (FS9 vs FSX)?
I will have an answer when my PC will be back, but I am curious to know if this difference has alrady been explored. I noticed thas some portovers have also a specific .cfg or .air file, but not all of them.
Anybody knows why?

cheezyflier
January 21st, 2009, 06:01
Now my question is: how is the behavior of the airplane affected by the different environment (FS9 vs FSX)?
I will have an answer when my PC will be back, but I am curious to know if this difference has alrady been explored. I noticed thas some portovers have also a specific .cfg or .air file, but not all of them.
Anybody knows why?

this might be a dumb question but i'll ask it anyhow. if you changed the cfg. and the air file, how can you evaluate the performance of the model?
don't those files determine that? wouldn't changing them skew the results?

myles
January 21st, 2009, 06:17
I think he transplanted the Waco .air and .cfg files to the Cub. He is flying the Waco but it just looks like a Cub - I think :confused:

Myles

sblzei
January 21st, 2009, 08:14
I think he transplanted the Waco .air and .cfg files to the Cub. He is flying the Waco but it just looks like a Cub - I think :confused:

Myles

You are absolutely right !!! :wave:

PutPut
January 21st, 2009, 08:37
I have not completely investigated the differences but for what it is worth there is a real difference in how one approaches the flight dynamics of sea planes. The water appears to be much stickier in FSX. I was always able to use real values for FS9 sea planes, but in FSX it seems I must reduce weight, increase power and/or thrust to get them off the water.

Paul