PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia ShadowPlay

Anthin
April 4th, 2014, 20:03
Hi all.
Does anyone know why ShadowPlay will not record in DX10?
Also will Fraps work?
I have also discovered that Snapshot won't take a screen shot.
Thanks in advance for any info.:banghead:

Adamski_NZ
April 5th, 2014, 22:14
Does anyone know why ShadowPlay will not record in DX10?
Also will Fraps work?
I have also discovered that Snapshot won't take a screen shot.

No idea about Shadowplay, but FRAPS works fine.

I never see the point of these "Snapshot" utilities, as a straight "V" key grabs a full resolution image.

By the same token, I keep my nVidia stuff "lean 'n' mean" ... so no Geforce Experience bloatware - and therefore no Shadowplay.

Adam.

Anthin
April 6th, 2014, 16:18
Thanks for getting back to me. Somehow Shadowplay is working now
and the vidio looks real good.

sleightflight
April 26th, 2014, 15:31
Am I reading you correct ? shadowplay records FSX in DX10 mode, FRAPS is awfull for recording moving footage where as shadowplay is great.
What did you have to do to get it working please.

Anthin
April 26th, 2014, 20:21
Hi sleightflight.

At first Shadowplay didn't work when I switched over to DX10.
The next time I switched on Flight sim, enabled Shadow Play Voila!.
It works incredibly well. Maybe check with Nvidia if there is an update.

Let me know if you have any luck. I just wish Snapshot would work
in full screen.

Best wishes.

adi518
April 26th, 2014, 22:54
DX9 or 10, ShadowPlay should work just fine. It's non-related to the problem you were having. Since I've been messing around with SP quite a lot for the past few months, I can attest there was an inconsistency issue (where SP works on/off) caused by drivers, but since then, new drivers are available and I haven't seen this intermittent problem coming back.

As for Adam saying it's bloatware... Adam, do you even know what is it? Nvidia gpus above 650 have a dedicated video chip (along side the core gpu) that can capture gameplay footage without losing performance and without choking your cpu. This feature was given to users for free, instead of the, now useless, payware Fraps. It's not a "screenshot utility". No, no! it captures (as in video) game footage with ease, and superb quality. And you can also stream to Twitch using this thing!

So, ultimately, I say check out factual info and truths before calling something "bloatware", as people who are concerned, might take this incorrect advice. Just my 2c. :encouragement:

Anthin
April 26th, 2014, 23:20
Thanks ADI.

Hopefully Sleightflight sees this. Why pay 40 bucks US
for Fraps, Mega bucks AUD dollars when shadowplay does the job.

Also Shadowplay is Beta and will only get better. On the other hand
as Snapshot won't work in DX10 Where in hells bells do I find screenshots
after pressing V key? AAARRGG!!! :banghead:

adi518
April 26th, 2014, 23:37
You don't need a special application to take screenshots. It's built right into the sim. When you press the V key, FSX will save a bmp to your My Pictures/FSX folder. If V doesn't work, then it's not defined in your control mappings.

sleightflight
April 27th, 2014, 00:13
Hi All,

Yes I already bought FRAPS a few years back but I found it useless for recording FSX, it introduced bad stutters to the sim, shadowplay on the other hand I found you didn't even know it was recording although sparse grid introduced a weird screen resolution to the recorded video so I found using super sampling fixed that.
I tried to record something last night but I found nothing in my folder.
I will try again and see what happens.
Thanks.

adi518
April 27th, 2014, 00:26
Sparse grid causing problems? that's weird.. I'm using SGSS and never encountered a resolution problem. Btw, in the newest GE version you can record to 1080p or to your native res. So far, SP has treated me nicely. :)

sleightflight
April 27th, 2014, 00:51
Thanks for that info, I just downloaded that this morning, maybe now it will fix the sparse grid issue I had for recording.

adi518
April 27th, 2014, 01:11
And before I forget.. SP also works in P3D 2.2. It didn't work until recent times.

Adamski_NZ
April 28th, 2014, 05:20
As for Adam saying it's bloatware... Adam, do you even know what is it?
I'm afraid I do! It installs dozens of totally unnecessary drivers, bombards me with needless pop-ups, constantly goes online and goodness knows what else!

If someone here could tell me what's so marvellous about the complete "Experience" - as well as if the recorder is better than Fraps (as it's GPU based), then maybe I'll give it a reprieve. I'm not being smart or sarcastic - I just hate yet more tray apps that gobble up system resources. If it's worth having - and it doesn't cripple the system too much then I'm all ears!

Adam.

BTW: I need to add - I'm *perfectly capable* of setting up my games video preferences (including FSX) without some shonky software "suggesting" things to me.

adi518
April 28th, 2014, 05:48
That's a completes stream of incorrect info.

It does NOT install drivers that aren't mandatory. It does NOT make any pop-ups. Nvidia, is giving the software for free. They don't have a single application where they try to monetize you... they already profited when they sold you that gpu for 500$.

Geforce Experience does a few things, it helps you keep your drivers updated (you can also tell it to include beta drivers) it can optimize your game settings for (personally, I don't use this feature) and it now allows you to have ShadowPlay, which is far better than any gameplay-capture application out there.

For example, I updated to beta drivers using GE, which gave me a 10% increase in FPS in P3D2.2.

Paul J
April 28th, 2014, 06:44
Personal preference, Adi! Everyone exaggerates sometimes! One man's "bloatware" is another man's "essential software".. like Win7's "Aero".

But - I too, only install the Nvidia graphics driver - not because anything else is bloatware, but because I'm not using any other feature - and I update as I judge "the right time".

All the Best,

pj

adi518
April 28th, 2014, 08:39
Well, Adam wasn't fully informed of what ShadowPlay is. I corrected that. :)

Paul J
April 28th, 2014, 09:44
Well, Adam wasn't fully informed of what ShadowPlay is. I corrected that. :)

Aaaah. Well, we're all glad you have fully informed him - he needed correcting. We're glad you're here, as we all need someone to correct us. :a1089:

I need correcting quite often, too - and my wife sure takes care of that..... :biggrin-new:

Regards,

pj

Adamski_NZ
April 28th, 2014, 20:03
Thanks to all for the input. I'm still a little concerned that a vast proportion of it is either unnecessary or bloatware. Why would I want to broadcast my FSX session to Twitch???? Whatever it does, it IS another process that sits there in the taskbar, using up resources - when we spend a lot of time using utilities to remove exactly those sorts of things from our FSX environment.

I *did* run for a while a few months back, but got tired of the endless pop-ups and notifications about profiles or settings for games I don't have. I dare say I might have found a setting somewhere to disable all that, but I couldn't find it that easily.

If SP is reckoned to be substantially better than FRAPS (or Playclaw that I also use) at recording videos I may re-enable SP. Is it that much better?

Adam.

adi518
April 28th, 2014, 22:05
Try it out, thank me later... :biggrin-new:

Adamski_NZ
April 28th, 2014, 22:14
Try it out, thank me later... :biggrin-new:

Hehe ... but before I do, I really need to know it's worth it - especially with respect to the recording feature!

nVidia stuff used to be terrible to clean off the system, but it's not too bad now (as I've already removed "Experience" successfully once).

Adam.

adi518
April 28th, 2014, 22:23
It was cumbersome some time ago, but only because it was in a very beta stage. It's still beta, but things have matured greatly since then!

Btw Adam, I've got some surprisingly good news for you and for pretty much anyone who has NZ in his favorite scenery list: https://www.facebook.com/GodzoneVirtualFlight

Check out the first post ! :very_drunk:

If you don't have a Facebook account, then I'll just leave this here: http://postimg.org/gallery/30silhk6y/

Courtesy of Godzone.

Adamski_NZ
April 29th, 2014, 01:33
It was cumbersome some time ago, but only because it was in a very beta stage. It's still beta, but things have matured greatly since then!
Btw Adam, I've got some surprisingly good news for you and for pretty much anyone who has NZ in his favorite scenery list: https://www.facebook.com/GodzoneVirtualFlight

Thanks for the info - I'm not 100% but I think the NVE I tried was out of beta. I feel I owe it to you to give it another go after all this!

That's Robin Corn's scenery. A good Kiwi compatriot - sadly squeezed out by the massive ORBX bandwagon. I bought all his NZ sceneries and have all the freeware too. His latest freeware Hokitika is a beauty.

I also have VLC (Vector Land Class) for NZ, but getting it all to play with ORBX can be a bit of a nightmare.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Adam (watch this space).

Adamski_NZ
April 29th, 2014, 04:01
Well ... it seems you may have the last laugh!

Though I had NVE running in the past, it won't run the Shadowplay component on my GTX580 ... hahahahaha! I installed it, tried it, got the message ... Googled it ... then removed it! Aaah well ...

I do remember running NVE, but obviously can't have tried Shadowplay.

Adam.

adi518
April 29th, 2014, 04:17
Aww.. that's a shame. :)

Yea, you need 600+ gpu for it to work.

Tbh, I had a 580 but I sold it long, long ago.

sleightflight
April 29th, 2014, 14:01
I sometimes put some FSX videos on my youtube channel and shadowplay is far easier on the system for recording than FRAPS and so gives a smoother recorded video.