PDA

View Full Version : 580GTX vs 780GTX

big-mike
April 3rd, 2014, 07:25
I can`t remember if i have asked this before.
Would i have any benefits from a 780GTX over my 580GTX espacially with DX10?
The other specs are in my sign.
Mike

Paul J
April 3rd, 2014, 08:40
I can`t remember if i have asked this before.
Would i have any benefits from a 780GTX over my 580GTX espacially with DX10?
The other specs are in my sign.
Mike

Probably not, Mike: The 580 is a very good, fast GPU, and you should have UsePools=0 in your fsx.cfg, as well as some decent graphics setting right now. The 780 will add very little to the experience, and you would be far better to add a few hundred dollars to the "780" money and buy a newer i5 or i7 processor, then overclock that to 4.6 gig. THEN you will see an improvement!!

All the Best

pj

big-mike
April 3rd, 2014, 08:42
Thank you Paul.
Money saved.:redfire:
Mike

Adamski_NZ
April 3rd, 2014, 23:15
One thing I've been looking at *IF* I chose to upgrade my 580 (which I can't afford to do) is choose one that has 3x monitor support - so you don't need any Triple Head hardware.

But that would mean buying another two monitors as well :toilet_claw:

Otherwise - as far as FSX is concerned - I agree, a faster CPU would get the money.

Adam.

Paul J
April 4th, 2014, 06:03
One thing I've been looking at *IF* I chose to upgrade my 580 (which I can't afford to do) is choose one that has 3x monitor support - so you don't need any Triple Head hardware.
Adam.

Hmmph. Doesn't the 580 do "Surround", Adam? I hadn't thought about it, as I use the TH2Go digital (flawless), but my buddy Les Hesly uses a pair in SLI feeding 3 27" at 5760 x 1080.

pj

Adamski_NZ
April 4th, 2014, 06:27
Hmmph. Doesn't the 580 do "Surround", Adam? I hadn't thought about it, as I use the TH2Go digital (flawless), but my buddy Les Hesly uses a pair in SLI feeding 3 27" at 5760 x 1080.
Yes it does "surround" but for 3 monitors you'd need to run a 2nd one in SLI. It basically only supports two monitors at a time (though it has 2x DVI and one HDMI).

Whilst a 2nd 580 would be cheaper than buying a newer generation card (considering I already have the one 580) I'd be worried about the power drain (and heat). These things gobble up the watts.

Maybe selling the old 580 could partly fund the new 780 (or whatever). That wouldn't finance another two monitors though LOL!

Adam.

Paul J
April 4th, 2014, 06:30
Yes it does "surround" but for 3 monitors you'd need to run a 2nd one in SLI. It basically only supports two monitors at a time (though it has 2x DVI and one HDMI).

Whilst a 2nd 580 would be cheaper than buying a newer generation card (considering I already have the one 580) I'd be worried about the power drain (and heat). These things gobble up the watts.

Maybe selling the old 580 could partly fund the new 780 (or whatever). That wouldn't finance another two monitors though LOL!

Adam.
Yep - that's what I did, Adam: one mention that she was for sale on the forum and boom! - gone within five minutes. PayPal is your friend! :jump: