PDA

View Full Version : France Confirms Horsepower Reduction Coming To Sprint Cup

Panther_99FS
April 2nd, 2014, 18:37
http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/france-confirms-horsepower-reduction-coming-to-sprint-cup-series-040214

stansdds
April 3rd, 2014, 01:58
So how will they impose a horsepower limit?

Will every engine have to be put on a dyno before qualifying and racing?

Will they simply require a specific RPM limiter module for the ignition system?

Will they reduce engine size?

Or will all races become restrictor plate races?

Terry
April 3rd, 2014, 04:32
Steve Byrnes said (no plates). Engine redesign package being worked on. The purpose seems to be for engine life and reduced expense per race along with safety.

wombat666
April 3rd, 2014, 05:53
How about really big engines?

stansdds
April 4th, 2014, 02:17
Now that's a big engine! :adoration:

Daveroo
April 4th, 2014, 07:17
How about really big engines?

whats this from?....good looking unit.

Panther_99FS
April 4th, 2014, 15:32
So how will they impose a horsepower limit?

Will every engine have to be put on a dyno before qualifying and racing?

Will they simply require a specific RPM limiter module for the ignition system?

Will they reduce engine size?

Or will all races become restrictor plate races?

Good questions!
F1 only limited RPM and/or boost.

How the heck do ya' limit horsepower? :dizzy:

wombat666
April 5th, 2014, 00:44
whats this from?....good looking unit.

Train Simulator 2014 Dave.
Just for something different.
:biggrin-new:

stansdds
April 5th, 2014, 04:42
Good questions!
F1 only limited RPM and/or boost.

How the heck do ya' limit horsepower? :dizzy:

Good question, I guess they will do it in the same way they require all drivers and teams to race at 100%.

The simplest and easiest way to make the drivetrain more durable would be to use 7000 rpm limiter chips. And even with that you will still see failures. It is inevitable with manufacturing that some defective parts will make it into the product line.

EasyEd
April 5th, 2014, 07:37
Hey All,

100% is relative to the team you are on. If it mean't go all out all the time that would be pretty dumb racing - no strategy just hope you have the best surviving car. Who would want that? And at the plate tracks how would 100% ever allow a driver to sit in the back till the end? Never was the 100% rule intended in this way. The intent was/is to stop team racing strategically positioning drivers and really matters at the end of the year.

I've no idea how they are going to limit horsepower - rev limiters are the obvious but I suspect it will be - as suggested in that article - a "new" car and have to do with more than just the engine.

Now trains are nice I hear but I've actually never been on a train and trains have to have tracks. :mixed-smiley-010:

I prefer this for big.

http://www.dsogaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/farming_sim2013-scr01.jpg

From Farm Simulator.

-Ed-

Panther_99FS
April 5th, 2014, 15:49
Another rule change...
One step close to becoming a Spec Racing (IROC) series....

PRB
April 5th, 2014, 15:51
... How the heck do ya' limit horsepower? :dizzy:
As Terry has pointed out above, the way they're going to reduce HP is by making a new (smaller) engine, as opposed to “limiting” the HP of existing engines with plates and such. As for enforcing the new HP limits, I imagine they'll do it the same way they're doing it now. Teams can't stick in any engine they please. It has to be an “approved” engine, right? So, next year the approved engine will be different. Smaller.

Will it make better racing? Heck, who knows? It certainly won't make worse racing, as Ed has already explained. But better? I'll bet not. Both the Trucks and Nationwide series have better racing (well, if it wasn't for Gibbs Racing playing in the little league games that is...) But why? Is there something about the Big Time Money And Sponsorship in Cup that is making drivers cautious? They're all driving the same equipment, after all. Maybe they all make so much money up there in Cup that racing for the sake of racing has become less important. I have no idea. Whatever it is, I don't think less horse power will fix it.

Panther_99FS
April 5th, 2014, 16:51
Rev Limit = Good Idea
HP Limit/reduce = bad idea

What's the limit?
What's the threshold before penalty?

Cars dyno'd after every race?

PRB
April 5th, 2014, 17:40
Wild guess here but: Same way they do it now, but, erase "950" and substitute "750"... ?

joe bob
April 5th, 2014, 18:03
I would hope there would be a corresponding decrease in down force so that the driver still has to hustle the car somewhat.

Panther_99FS
April 5th, 2014, 18:34
Wild guess here but: Same way they do it now, but, erase "950" and substitute "750"... ?

But today's 950 is only an estimate....what's the 750 and estimate or limit?

Panther_99FS
April 5th, 2014, 18:35
I would hope there would be a corresponding decrease in down force so that the driver still has to hustle the car somewhat.

:mixed-smiley-010::mixed-smiley-010::mixed-smiley-010:

Panther_99FS
April 5th, 2014, 18:48
From Jr...
-> http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/down-with-the-horsepower-dale-jr-says-it-s-coming-get-used-to-it-040514

stansdds
April 6th, 2014, 04:33
Ok, so NASCAR mandates a reduction in engine size, say from the current 5.86L down to 4.8L. Bore and stroke dimensions will be reduced, this will reduce horsepower, but shorter stroke engines can usually reach higher RPMs than longer stroke engines. I don't think horsepower is what is leading to drivetrain failure, I think it is the very high RPMs to which the drivetrain is subjected.

Can NASCAR become the same as IROC, yes, they certainly can and I expect they will have the same fan base as IROC. Where is IROC today? It's gone.

And by the way, are we really seeing a higher incidence of equipment failure?

Terry
April 6th, 2014, 04:39
NASCAR's point in all this is to preserve engine life and expense. They said the HP cut would be around 75 to 100 but when you change HP you must make major changes to the car as well. The best racing comes when a driver has more power than he can use. In other words the engine never reaches max revs in high gear, this gives the driver throttle response at all times and the engine never runs flat out which increases it's life. To achieve this you have to get rid of some of the aero, down force, and tire grip so that the car is slower overall. Your basically taking it back to the 70's - 80's era.

Panther_99FS
April 6th, 2014, 08:21
To achieve this you have to get rid of some of the aero, down force, and tire grip so that the car is slower overall.

This is what F1 has done...But agreed, you need way more power than grip!