PDA

View Full Version : NGX HUD using Bloom

B777ER
March 31st, 2014, 15:45
Paul -

Had to chase you down here. I posted this over at Avsim and did not realize you moved. Nevertheless, I am using Steve's fixer v 2.0 and have bloom enabled in DX10. Everything looks good save for the PMDG NGX HUD. It looks washed out and very blurry when using it. Only happens when bloom is activated. Any way around it that you have found?

Thanks,

Eric

Paul J
March 31st, 2014, 18:55
Paul -

It looks washed out and very blurry when using it. Only happens when bloom is activated. Eric

Hi Eric: Nice to hear from you!

A coupla questions, I suppose: are you using any kind of SweetFX, or FXAA (vai Inspector) perhaps, and secondly - have you tried each of the bloom sliders to see just which is responsible? This could well be the Lights Glare Halo - the glare effect around bright objects. My suggestion would be to turn all bloom to the lowest setting, looking at off in fsx to start, then turn it on, trying each - one by one. Washed out (to me) is kinda like the way bloom originally worked in DX9, and I personally lower this one quite a bit.
I don't have the NGX, Eric, and Iv'e not heard of this being an issue - mostly consisting of a few issues around cockpit shadowing. I hope this gives you some direction to go in. Keep me posted.

Regards,

pj

B777ER
April 1st, 2014, 12:33
Paul, you cannot adjust the bloom sliders in the Fixer program with FSX running correct?

Paul J
April 1st, 2014, 12:50
Paul, you cannot adjust the bloom sliders in the Fixer program with FSX running correct?

Not so much a case of that, Eric - but you can't launch the Fixer itself with FSX running, and if it was running prior to starting FSX - FSX would only see whatever setting were made at that time. It will need an FSX re-start to reflect any newer settings - ok!

All the Best,

pj

Adamski_NZ
April 2nd, 2014, 00:07
No problems here with my NGX HUD. What settings have you got for the Shaders?

Adam.

B777ER
April 2nd, 2014, 05:13
Paul - what setting do you use for your five bloom sliders? Mine were all at 100%. I just turned down Light Glare Halo to 50.

Adamski (and Paul, can you give your opinion on the below as well) -

My General Shader Options UI are as follows:
Ticked On:
Improved Shadows
Reduce Falloff with Angle
Reduce Fade in Poor Visibility
HD Jet Shadows

Surface Bias Small - .03
Surface Bias Large - .03
Shadow Boost - 0
Contrast - 9

Bloom -

Ticked on:
Limit Enviro Bloom
Limit Light Scaling

Sliders are all at 100%, just turned down Light Glare Halo to 50%. Headlights is always off, Lights (alpha/halo) is set to switchable.

Fog Visibility Fixes all ticked on save for 8bit Texture Fix.

Adamski_NZ
April 2nd, 2014, 05:52
OK ... here are my settings (note that Bloom and lens flare are both set to ON in FSX):

LEGACY OPTIONS:
Legacy aircraft self-shadow: OFF
v.20 Transparency Logic: ON
v.20 Lighting Rules: ON
Light Texture Slider: Aircraft (fully right)

GENERAL SHADER OPTIONS
Improved Shadows: ON
HD Jet Shadows: ON
Reduce Falloff with Angle: ON
Reduce Fade in Poor Visibility: ON
Force VC Walls: ON

Enable Shadow Boost: OFF
Surface Bias Small: .03
Surface Bias Large: .03

Shadow Boost: 0
Contrast: 10%

BLOOM
Limit Environment Bloom: ON
Limit Light Scaling: ON

Reflective Lights: 0
Lights Emissive: 20
Headlights: Always OFF***
Lights Alpha/Halo: Always ON - 70
Light Glare Halo: 80

FOG VISIBILITY
Fog Visibility Fixes all ticked on save for 8bit Texture Fix

*** I have all my road traffic turned off, so I turn off my headlights altogether.

Note: I checked mine at DAY time. Was your problem at night?

Adam.

Paul J
April 2nd, 2014, 06:11
I don't have much in the way of "preferences", per se, Eric - I select the five on the left corner without the Walls and HD Jet for the GA stuff, but my TQ is in pieces (for a rebuild to add reverse thrust levers for the Maddog) at the moment, so I haven't checked off those last two.

The Bloom and lighting is different yet again, as when testing all the time, they can be anywhere - the last series of tests being the fade or reduction of glare - the "halo" as the fog rolls in. I think too, this is something for a personal taste: e.g. I've been running 3 x 19" (*3840 x 1024) monitors for several years now, and about five or six weeks ago I picked up a Samsung 27" 2560 x 1440 - and compared them side by side for color... Wow! I was blown away by how dull and green my old system was - the new desktop being clear as a bell with a bright sky blue - the "proper" desktop - color. I can't even match the brightness and contrast of the new one. The other thing that enters into it - is the weather and season for any particular day when you're setting it up - plus SweetFX might also be in the mix. Thing is, Eric - these are just simple adjustments that you can play with at any time, not caring about what others use or what their preferences are.

In answer to the original Q. - If the NGX VC is washed out it will most likely be that the Reflective Bloom is too high.

Anyway, here's a couple that I have used recently. (if I've got the SOH and my Mediafire link right... duh!)

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ynx6zyqlu9jcn/DX10

All the best,

pj