PDA

View Full Version : Dx10 do you use it?

Roger
March 28th, 2014, 09:16
As the title suggests this poll is just a way of determining how many members are using Dx10 preview in FsX?

YoYo
March 28th, 2014, 09:24
Always Steve's Dx10, but for military aircraft with TacPack Dx9.

dhazelgrove
March 28th, 2014, 09:38
Windows 8 says it's running DX11.

Dave

Roger
March 28th, 2014, 09:40
Windows 8 says it's running DX11.

Dave

Hi Dave,
Windows 8 has the capability of using Dx11, but FsX will only use Dx10 preview if it is checked in the FsX settings menu

big-mike
March 28th, 2014, 09:41
DX10 with Steve`s Fixer.
Mike

DaveWG
March 28th, 2014, 10:06
Haven't used DX9 for ages.

Bjoern
March 28th, 2014, 10:37
Oddly enough, my performance is worse with DX10*, so no.

*Despite using exclusively FSX native stuff (including AI models).

flyinggoldfish
March 28th, 2014, 10:37
Wouldn't dream of going back to dx9... The sim looks a lot better and is much smoother in dx10.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Paul Anderson
March 28th, 2014, 10:45
Not possible for Win XP, will check it out on next OS.

odourboy
March 28th, 2014, 12:30
DX10 exclusively - I was late to the FSX party so I've never not used DX10, and with Steve's fixer... excellent!

Roger
March 28th, 2014, 14:21
Very interesting results so far. Dx10 comes in a close second to Dx9 from our members. I thought that if Dx10 users came in at about 25% it would be quite incredible as with Steve Parsons Fixer still a very new option.

PRB
March 28th, 2014, 14:30
How do I tell what I'm using? I ran Dxdiag and it says I'm running DX-11. Does that mean FSX is making use of it? In FSX settings I don't have "Preview DX-10" checked. Do I have to tell FSX to "use" DX-11? How?

Roger
March 28th, 2014, 14:34
How do I tell what I'm using? I ran Dxdiag and it says I'm running DX-11. Does that mean FSX is making use of it? In FSX settings I don't have "Preview DX-10" checked. Do I have to tell FSX to "use" DX-11? How?

Paul see post #4 above.

PRB
March 28th, 2014, 14:36
Rgr "RTFP", Thanks Roger! :)

Roger
March 28th, 2014, 14:51
Rgr "RTFP", Thanks Roger! :)

Ha ha, no problems Paul. If you decide to give Dx10 a go it's only going to be successful if you buy the Dx10 Fixer program, so it needs some money spent before you leap and if you're happy in Dx9 then stay there. What I like about Dx10 is that it shifts some of the cpu burden onto the gpu thus freeing up the cpu to operate more efficiently.

Ickie
March 28th, 2014, 15:00
I voted Dx9 but sometimes try Dx10
when DX-10 came out M$ told us it was going to be better than sex, I just never got that far, lol
I never tried the fix, my old win7 64, I-7, 12 GB memory and gtx 260 just did not have the horsepower.

Roger
March 28th, 2014, 15:05
I voted Dx9 but sometimes try Dx10
when DX-10 came out M$ told us it was going to be better than sex, I just never got that far, lol
I never tried the fix, my old win7 64, I-7, 12 GB memory and gtx 260 just did not have the horsepower.

The GTX 260 probably would hold you back Ickie. I built my new rig with Dx10 in mind although I should have gone for a 4 gig GTX770...

HighGround22
March 29th, 2014, 07:07
I can't help wondering how many of the DX9-only responses were from folks with sentiments like mine:

While I'm intrigued and interested in what DX10 seems to offer, I find myself unsure of the steps to be taken in order to make it work.

And then too, there's the well-ingrained fear of (not for the first time) failing to leave well enough alone and royally cocking-up my "reasonable" FSX lashup, with no means of getting back to where I started.

[Sigh!] I suspect I've become more timorous with age.

Paul J
March 29th, 2014, 08:26
While I'm intrigued and interested in what DX10 seems to offer, I find myself unsure of the steps to be taken in order to make it work.
[Sigh!] I suspect I've become more timorous with age.

Totally understand! Don't forget - every success story has a few failures to be found in it - and I was no different! (and I'm 69)

Take a full read of the How-To guide, HighGround, as well as the Fixer manual, both in the sig below. An organised backup will be a safety net, and how to do that is early in the guide - ok!

While I'm here - the Guide has a much better read for ATI users, along with a "tentative" fix for dual-monitor problems.

All the Best,

pj

Ickie
March 29th, 2014, 08:44
I cannot afford a GTX-770 at this time, I just had to rebuild this coumpter 2 days ago and a new 900/1500 w UPS

Roger
March 29th, 2014, 10:01
This is a copy of the poll in the main FsX forum and was placed here because it is Dx10 relevant. To see the true outcome of the poll see the thread in the main FsX forum.

Anthin
March 29th, 2014, 20:40
Message to High Ground 22.

Listen to Paul. I did. I am 67 YRS and was a bit ,no very unsure
of trying DX10. Paul helped so much. It is so worth it. It is like
a completely new sim. With Orbx scenery it is the most realistic
experience flying you can get.
If at first the water looks bad which it does, Try REX 4 Direct. I
have now got my water looking great. Go for it.

All the best.

Paul J
March 30th, 2014, 06:43
Message to High Ground 22.

Listen to Paul. I did. I am 67 YRS and was a bit ,no very unsure
of trying DX10. Paul helped so much. It is so worth it. It is like
a completely new sim. With Orbx scenery it is the most realistic
experience flying you can get.
If at first the water looks bad which it does, Try REX 4 Direct. I
have now got my water looking great. Go for it.

All the best.

(Your cheque is in the mail, Anthin, but don't mention it to anyone.... :cool: )

jetblst
March 30th, 2014, 16:21
I have been using DX10 now for about 2 months. I found things rather straight forward setting up DX10 using Steve's Fixer and Paul's Guide. I simply cannot say enough how worth it the move was to using the DX10 Preview.

What I noticed right from the start was the smoothness. I knew after reading up on the procedure for setting up DX10 correctly, I was not going to see a boost in frames. I was interested just to see if the experience would be better.

Well? It's kinda like this. A bad day out on the boat fishn is better than the best day at the office.

In other words. DX10 I found, was so much smoother that even though FSX frame counter was showing at times 14 - 15 fps, I didn't really notice it. I was pretty much set from that point on.

Using Paul's guide, and his advice for testing, has helped me to achieve a nice, stable, smooth, 24-25 fps. That's right. My FPS no longer jump all over the place. It is kind of odd at first to see that. You think something's broke. The only time they may drop is near water, cars, high dense airports, traffic etc.

I would not be hesitant to try DX10 even if you are like me and have an aging machine. You simply have to invest a little time to understand the process, go for it, then make adjustments, enjoy.

Adamski_NZ
March 30th, 2014, 21:07
But ... I think the title of the TOPIC is wrong (actual poll/vote text is OK).

DX10+Fixer, a resounding YES YES YES! :triumphant:

However - I'm amazed at the poor level of understanding of the different DX versions - and how it relates to FSX (which has been out exactly how long now??). Considering we all think we can jump into the hot seat of a B737 ...

Regardless of what your operating system (or GPU) supports, FSX will only work in either of two modes:

1) DX9
2) DX10 PREVIEW (meaning DX10 support was never finished - hence the need for "The Fixer").

Most DirectX versions are (more or less) backwards-compatible - so a GPU that can run up to DX11 will run DX9 or DX10.

Adam.

davebelsey
April 1st, 2014, 00:43
I am running FSX with DX10 on both my machines - one has a fairly high spec, the other is less so.

Using Steve's Fixer, both machines run FSX far better than I could ever achieve in DX9.

Dave.

maxam
April 1st, 2014, 09:48
I have been using DX10 solidly for the last year or so and have not looked back. With Steve's DX10 fixer I couldn't imagine a better sim.