PDA

View Full Version : CFS2 on Win7 Pro

Blackbird686
March 25th, 2014, 13:09
Hey you all ---

Is there any way to keep the CFS2 install out of the X86 Folder? The install defaults to the X86 folder and does not give you the option to create a separate path on the HD.

Thanks in advance...

BB686

Rami
March 25th, 2014, 14:04
Blackbird686,

You should be able to redirect the installation by selecting "change" and altering it, but because CFS2 is a 32-bit program, the x86 folder is precisely where it should go.

Blackbird686
March 25th, 2014, 15:57
Tanksssssssssssssssssss!!! Rami.

BB686

kelticheart
March 26th, 2014, 01:29
Hello gentlemen, :wavey:

I have a question:

since I'll have to cross that bridge of transferring CFS2 from XP to Win7, or 8, sometime soon, I heard that using the simulated XP "install as..." install option should work fine with CFS2, or any other application designed for a 32-bit environment.

Is it true or is it just another fairy tale about 64-bit Windows?

Thank you!
KH :ernaehrung004:

Blackbird686
March 26th, 2014, 10:41
You know what, Kelti -- I tried to install CFS2 on a Win7Pro machine and I didn't see any option... other than where it said the sim was going to be installed. No option to create your own path, (I use C:\FS Games\Flight Simulator 9) for FS2004, Nothing about the program not installing properly and the option to use a different set of options (i.e. WinXP), or any other means to use to install the program correctly. Sorry mate. Rami said that the X86 folder was fine since CFS2 is a 32bit application so I'm going to have a go and see how it all turns out.

BB686

PRB
March 26th, 2014, 10:46
I recently installed CFS2 into my C:\FS\blah blah folder (Win7 x64), where all my other FS stuff is. I don't remember where in the installation, but I must have been able to re-direct it at some point because it's there, and works fine.

kelticheart
March 27th, 2014, 02:12
You know what, Kelti -- I tried to install CFS2 on a Win7Pro machine and I didn't see any option... other than where it said the sim was going to be installed. No option to create your own path, (I use C:\FS Games\Flight Simulator 9) for FS2004, Nothing about the program not installing properly and the option to use a different set of options (i.e. WinXP), or any other means to use to install the program correctly. Sorry mate. Rami said that the X86 folder was fine since CFS2 is a 32bit application so I'm going to have a go and see how it all turns out.

BB686

I don't know either. :confused-new:

I work with Win8 at the office, but I have a WinXP Pro pc at home, dedicated to CFS2, meaning without any Web connection and all useless services switched off, devoting the greatest amount of OS resources to the sim.

I never tried installing CFS2 in a 64-bit environment before, but I was told by serious technicians there's an option one can choose when installing an old 32-bit program. An option to run it, or installing it, with the 64-bit emulating an older OS like WinXP. It was explained to me as if, at the beginning of the installation, one could choose an option like "install as XP" or something like that.
I always did a custom install of CFS2, I am the master of my pc and not its subordinate, so I want things to go where I want them to be. Custom install during the autorun CFS2 setup allows to choose a different folder than the default one. I'd imagine that option would also allow, under 64-bit Windows, to choose the OS emulation, who knows, perhaps via a right-click context menu. I'd have to try it out first, before stating anything else.

I don't know if simply installing in the x86 folder is already an XP emulation, but Rami is right about it: that's the folder where 32-bit applications must go from 64-bit Vista onwards. So far, I never had any troubles creating my own folders in the "Program Files (x86)" folder at work and direct installations to place 32-bit program files there. There is still a huge number of downloadable freeware 32-bit applications working fine under Win8, I have installed quite a few of them.

Sooner or later, old pcs like mine will pretend to be retired from active duty and a 64-bit environment is the only option for a new machine today. All the issues and problems still being discussed here about running CFS2 in Vista, Win7 and now 8, don't encourage me at all. CFS2 in a window instead of full-screen, huge display problems with widescreen monitors.....dreadful :dread:!

Creating the 64-bit equivalent of our beloved CFS2 is definitely not in MS' top list, which I see all bent instead in catching up and beating Apple with tablets, I-phones and so on. All gizmo's that I personally judge as impractical toys, albeit extremely beautiful, designed only to add an expensive item to John Doe's everyday budget and not to pave the way to meet the Volcans and found the United Planet Federation as they promise!

Solid proof of MS' today market strategy is Win8, a touchscreen-capable OS, whose interface looks like the real HOT thing, an Apple tablet, but will never be used as such in an everyday work environment!
I immediately downloaded Classic Shell and been working since last October as I always did since Windows for DOS 3.0, 3.1, Win95, Win98 and XP!

Call me Jurassic or anything you want, just don't call me late for dinner! :biggrin-new:

Cheers!

alpha_1
March 27th, 2014, 03:49
Couldn't agree with you more on this, Kelti. It seems to me that the newer the system, the less control we have over it. For now, I'm sticking with good ol' reliable XP Pro (32 bit). I can't afford to upgrade my system, pure and simple. I have good security stuff on my computer and will have to go with that for now. Newer sims won't run on anything less than win7 or 8 and that's fine. Watching some of the vids of these games, I find the new sims to be incredibly complicated and mind boggling anyways.

I have everything archived on externals so if worse comes to worse a format and reinstall isn't the end of the world if I need to do it.

Ah'm gettin' old, I guess, but old and happy is better 'n old and cranky any day.

Keep smilin',:very_drunk:

Blackbird686
March 27th, 2014, 07:57
Thanks for all the feedback, chaps! Suffice to say... I'm still holding out on the install, just to see if I can find the ever elusive "install options" you're describing. I'll keep plugging away here, BTW this is for a friend, He has a new PC with ALOT of power, but it has Win7Pro, not Home Premium. maybe there is a difference there.

Cheers -- BB686

AndyG43
March 27th, 2014, 08:18
He has a new PC with ALOT of power, but it has Win7Pro, not Home Premium. maybe there is a difference there.

Cheers -- BB686

Windows 7 Pro has the option of running "XP Mode", basically an emulation programme, which might be making a difference; mind you, as XP support ends on April 8th, it won't be possible to download this any longer, so that option will vanish.

To be honest I've installed in the Program Files (x86) folder, albeit not on the C: drive, and have had no issues running CFS2 to date. And, as ever, I've got more than one install on there.

kelticheart
March 28th, 2014, 01:15
Windows 7 Pro has the option of running "XP Mode", basically an emulation programme, which might be making a difference; mind you, as XP support ends on April 8th, it won't be possible to download this any longer, so that option will vanish.

To be honest I've installed in the Program Files (x86) folder, albeit not on the C: drive, and have had no issues running CFS2 to date. And, as ever, I've got more than one install on there.

There you go! Thanks AndyG43, that's the exact option I was told to utilise in order to install CFS2 in 64-bit environment.

Am I understanding correctly, this is an emulation programme that can be downloaded? If yes, could you PLEASE post a link to it, before April 8th :nightmare:, so that I can download it and archive it for when I'll switch to Win7 or 8?

If it's freeware it could even be re-uploaded here, making it available to everyone that will have to replace the pc with a new one running Win8.1.

Blackbird686:

I always found that all Pro application versions Microsoft released were always the absolute best versions over the "Home", "Student" or "Home Premium" versions by far. In fact, have WinXP Pro on my home pc.

Cheers!

_486_Col_Wolf
March 28th, 2014, 09:39
OK, I may be wrong about this but this is the way it was explained to me... Win XP maxes out at 3Gb Ram. CFS2 allocates 2GB when running. So if you run CFS2 on XP even with the 4Gb patch you still only get about 2.5 Gb Ram (because of background Ram use) to run CFS2. Win 7 maxes out at either 8 or 16 Gb. But if you run CFS2 on Win7 with say 8Gb Ram with the 4Gb patch you will get a full 4Gb's to run CFS2. However, if you run CFS2 on Win 7 in "XP mode" you're back to getting only 3GB's max for CFS2 becaus eit emulates XP Ram limits. :banghead:

There must be a catch all way to run CFS2 in Win 7, that gives you the full benifit of the extra Ram while still allowing full control over CFS2. And again, as I understand it and I may be wrong, that is by installing it outside of the X86 folder.
Still don't fully understand how this differs from 32 bit to 64 bit though. :dizzy: So like Kelti, for now I'm sticking with Win XP and so-so framerates until someone can give us a definitive install method for Win 7.

AndyG43
March 28th, 2014, 10:58
There you go! Thanks AndyG43, that's the exact option I was told to utilise in order to install CFS2 in 64-bit environment.

Am I understanding correctly, this is an emulation programme that can be downloaded? If yes, could you PLEASE post a link to it, before April 8th :nightmare:, so that I can download it and archive it for when I'll switch to Win7 or 8?

No problem. (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002)

If it's freeware it could even be re-uploaded here, making it available to everyone that will have to replace the pc with a new one running Win8.1.

I think I'd switch back to using pen, paper & an abacus rather than install Windows 8!! :-D The switch from XP to 7 was worthwhile, but I've heard nothing but complaints about 8.

Blackbird686
March 28th, 2014, 12:05
I think I'd switch back to using pen, paper & an abacus rather than install Windows 8!! :-D The switch from XP to 7 was worthwhile, but I've heard nothing but complaints about 8.

You and me both, Andy.... Bear skins and stone knives for this kid.

BB686

dvslats
March 28th, 2014, 23:45
The one thing I cannot understand is the fact that it seems so little attention was given by MS towards backwards compatibility for software. I’m talking about their software. :stupid:
To my simple mind it’s like shooting yourself in the foot.

Ahhh, but I don't have corporate mind. (Thank God!)

Rant off.

alpha_1
March 29th, 2014, 04:08
It appears that Microsoft and the rest of 'em are determined to drag us all kickin' and screamin' into the 21st century, whether we like it or not. Do they really know who they're dealing with here?:redfire:

I don't know anybody here who's a 'roll-over' type of guy. The break away is upon us, though. Newer sims are now built for windows 7 & 8 exclusively. Follow the money, gentlemen. That, of course is what 'progress' is usually about.

At my age, they can drag me all they want but I know what I like and where I have the most fun........uh.....having said this, I WILL concede that I'm now investigating the ins and outs of dual booting my systems (XP & 7).........best of both worlds? Possibly........no choice but to give that a try.

Cheers,:very_drunk:

Fibber
March 29th, 2014, 07:45
..........MS doesn't give a rats behind about anyone who has their old programs. Their corporate mind, I bet, will be to rewrite and sell their old programs to run in the 8.... enviroment and charge you a exorbiant price for the software. They are in a sttruggle with Apple for the cosumer, and their money, and are orientating towards the tablets and Ipods. To them the desktops/laptops are Jurrastic and a sidethought.
Everyone whom I have had conversations with, or read reviews, on Win *.+ HATES it! Most are reverting to Win 7. Maybe that is why suddenly Win7+ is hard to find and I have read in a publication that MS intends to cut off support for that next year.

kelticheart
March 31st, 2014, 00:25
No problem. (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8002)

Thank very much Andy.

Unfortunately, I just verified it's not a simple download because MS requires validation to release it! :rocket:

In other words, it's not a portable piece of software that can be downloaded, stored on removable media and then installed afterwards on another computer. One must be connected to the Net and have MS coming in into your rig, check everything you got and then decide if you have a genuine Windows or a pirated copy. F... 'em if they can't take a joke! :angryfire:
This makes it impossible for me to have it, since I haven't purchased either a new pc or Win7 yet. In any case, I'LL NEVER RISK 10+ YEARS OF CFS2 TWEAKS INSTALLED BY CONNECTING MY CFS2-DEDICATED MACHINE TO INTERNET! I had already my share of problems running CFS2 with an antivirus in gaming mode. CFS2 performance was always affected negatively by the A.V. running in the background, not counting the heavy resource toll exacted by all connection-dedicated services, which I duly switched off.

So much with it, but thank you nevertheless. It confirms further my previous comments, that I see with pleasure are shared by several others around here.

As to Win8, as I said, in a strictly job-environment with Classic Shell slapped on top of it, it's not that bad. Business as usual, so to speak. Gaming it's an entirely different ball game and when my old pc will retire for good, I guess I'll be in deep s... to bring CFS2 back to normality on a new platform.

I just about had it with "21st century", "looking into the future" and that my life has to be run according to the choices of a bunch of big bucks-making corporate reptiles, which pretend to tell me what's good for me!
I imagine it's part of the ageing process, but I can tell that what I was always told, that one mellows out with age, it surely doesn't apply to me! :livid:

Cheers!

alpha_1
March 31st, 2014, 04:59
"I just about had it with "21st century", "looking into the future" and that my life has to be run according to the choices of a bunch of big bucks-making corporate reptiles, which pretend to tell me what's good for me!"

Amen to that, Kelti. Good post m'Man!

Rami
March 31st, 2014, 05:03
Good morning,

Just from my own experience, I've not had any major problems with CFS2 in Windows 7, so long as you run it in compatibility mode with XP, and you make sure to have UAC (User Account Control) turned off.

I made sure, however, to have my new laptop running on Windows 7, not Windows 8.

But thinking back to my years in retail...I always got nervous when they claimed "this is something that will make things easier." Invariably, it turned out to be the opposite.

onnogras
March 31st, 2014, 14:12
Just bought a brand new W7 PC, the other day.
I just saved my entire CFSII in a Zip, and restored it on the new system, on a D: drive, unzipped the thing (ok, took some time to set all paths ok, created shortcuts, puzzled a bit about how to start the MB, and more such little inconveniences), but it runs like new! Maybe not quite as MS wants programs to run, with the programs from the "program file" and such.
It is a bit of an exercise, but it's worth it.

Btw: I was fortunate to find a shop which was still selling W7 systems, and had some "reserves" about W8....

OG

kelticheart
April 1st, 2014, 01:13
...But thinking back to my years in retail...I always got nervous when they claimed "this is something that will make things easier." Invariably, it turned out to be the opposite.

Exactly, my friend! :encouragement:

It brings ME back to my years in computer assembly and customer's assistance! :dejection:

Anything that was supposed "to make things easier", (I recall a great one: the infamous "Microsoft Genuine Advange" which, all of a sudden, turned all non-MS drivers into a bunch of illegal aliens, in machines that were running fine up until a second before this crappy update came in automatically) created sheer hell among technician and resellers.

Obviously, customers didn't give a hoot about MS commercial policies. The dude, who in all good faith sold you your kid's computer, was the only reachable target to shoot at when the newly purchased pc started going beserk!

The first thing that happened when Vista was released was that any driver became instantly obsolete! Pc's started throwing up error messages about unknown SATA hard drives, inexisting video cards, scanners and/or printers totally dead, ethernet network cards going on strike.......it was just about when I got involved with teaching computer courses, no more customer assistance!

The best definition of newer Windows versions I ever heard came from a good friend/colleague of mine, "Windows? The easy made complicated through the useless!"

One more thing I kept forgetting in my replies here: as our good Bearcat241 always pointed out, your pc nemesis is heat. If I may add, not only installing a good cooling system, which include cooling fans for the HDD, too, but keeping your machine clean internally will also help prolonging your baby's life.

As soon as the warm season starts, I routinely open my pc and basically disassemble it to clean all fans, heat sinks, processor, components and assorted circuitry from the fine dust that blankets everything after few months of normal operation.
Dust acts as insulation and dust covered components are liable to overheat faster than when they are clean. Where does it come from? Your cooling fans suck it in, even in machines, like mine, that are equipped with dust filters on the cooling air intakes. Not only, removing internal cards and memory banks, unplugging the HDDs and peripherals will clear the electrical contacts from possible oxidation when you put them back, ensuring perfect contacts among the various components.

I remove the cooling fan from the CPU, I clean the processor heat sink plus the fan blades with a soft paint brush and compressed air, remove all fans and gently brush their blades, I even open up the power unit brushing n' blowing its fans and the internal circuits. I am just about to do it again for this year! Believe me, the amount of fine dust I find every other year inside of my pc always amazes me!

I bought my pc in 2005 and it still delivers as it was meant originally, I believe thanks also to this spring cleanup every year. :adoration:

Cheers!