PDA

View Full Version : A custom-made scenery object, by John Stinstrom

Navy Chief
March 24th, 2014, 14:26
This may only be of interest to military types who have gone on deployments, but when I was stationed at NAS Cecil Field, one familiar site in the hangar was a freight truck that we would load up with all the squadron's tools, test equipment, sea bags, etc... that would be transported to the ship for onload. One freight company that was often used was "Old Dominion". Years ago, when John Stinstrom was creating NAS Cecil Field for FS9, he had custom made a Old Dominion freight truck scenery object for me. Well, over the years, that file got lost. He contacted me this past week, having made a new one for me. So I will be uploading to the library, if anyone is interested. Just something else to add to realism! NC

trucker17
March 24th, 2014, 14:35
This may only be of interest to military types who have gone on deployments, but when I was stationed at NAS Cecil Field, one familiar site in the hangar was a freight truck that we would load up with all the squadron's tools, test equipment, sea bags, etc... that would be transported to the ship for onload. One freight company that was often used was "Old Dominion". Years ago, when John Stinstrom was creating NAS Cecil Field for FS9, he had custom made a Old Dominion freight truck scenery object for me. Well, over the years, that file got lost. He contacted me this past week, having made a new one for me. So I will be uploading to the library, if anyone is interested. Just something else to add to realism! NC

Very nice NC....

Navy Chief
March 24th, 2014, 14:59
I can't remember how long it's been since I even tried using Instant Scenery...but this is how it looks....

trucker17
March 24th, 2014, 15:28
I can't remember how long it's been since I even tried using Instant Scenery...but this is how it looks....

Will come in handy in some sceneries....

jmbiii
March 24th, 2014, 16:34
NC;

Old Dominion Freight Lines headquarters used to be right down the road in Richmond. Now they're in NC, I think.
I will use the truck in my scenery files. Thanks !
If I had a couple of days off (?) I'd head on down to FLA to help with your parking at Cecil.

I stopped at Cecil once. Was the only crewman in an SH-3D on a hop from NGU to OpaLocka, back in 1969. Had to stop in Cecil when the transmission oil temp went into the red.
After a declared emergency, landed at Cecil. Found that a rag had been left adrift up top and it finally found it's way to the pulleys that ran off the tail rotor driveshaft.
It threw the belt off that ran the fan on the TX oil cooler. There was no one at Cecil that knew anything about H-3's. So I ended up talking to a mech at home and
learned how to replace the belts with out messing up the tail rotor drive shaft alignment. Being a "tweet" I was not exactly comfortable with the task knowing how important the tail rotor is.
During the test hop, after I finished, I was a bit apprehensive:concern:, but the pilots had faith in my work. The repair made it the rest of the way to Miami and back to NAS Norva.
As I remember we were parked on the ramp just south of the tower.

Cheers;

Joe AWC (NAC)- USN; ATC/ETC - USCG, USCGR

Navy Chief
March 24th, 2014, 17:03
NC;

Old Dominion Freight Lines headquarters used to be right down the road in Richmond. Now they're in NC, I think.
I will use the truck in my scenery files. Thanks !
If I had a couple of days off (?) I'd head on down to FLA to help with your parking at Cecil.

I stopped at Cecil once. Was the only crewman in an SH-3D on a hop from NGU to OpaLocka, back in 1969. Had to stop in Cecil when the transmission oil temp went into the red.
After a declared emergency, landed at Cecil. Found that a rag had been left adrift up top and it finally found it's way to the pulleys that ran off the tail rotor driveshaft.
It threw the belt off that ran the fan on the TX oil cooler. There was no one at Cecil that knew anything about H-3's. So I ended up talking to a mech at home and
learned how to replace the belts with out messing up the tail rotor drive shaft alignment. Being a "tweet" I was not exactly comfortable with the task knowing how important the tail rotor is.
During the test hop, after I finished, I was a bit apprehensive:concern:, but the pilots had faith in my work. The repair made it the rest of the way to Miami and back to NAS Norva.
As I remember we were parked on the ramp just south of the tower.

Cheers;

Joe AWC (NAC)- USN; ATC/ETC - USCG, USCGR

WOW! You are lucky that's all that rag did was throw a belt! could've been a lot worse! Pete

Odie
March 25th, 2014, 06:55

Details, NC, it's all about the details! Good addition and much appreciated!