PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone Identify this airfield?

skyhawka4m
March 22nd, 2014, 06:46
?

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2825/13329832825_c85de03cb8_o.jpg

falcon409
March 22nd, 2014, 06:54
It's too big an airport to have landed on and no one notice. . .I know that. (This appears to be the Malaysian Pilots Sim).

Daveroo
March 22nd, 2014, 07:09
at first i though skyhawk was just showing off his "cockpit"..lol..

but the thought that the pilot with the flight simulator was/is a terrorist just burns me up,does this mean that each and everyone of us are suspects on the world terrorist list?....and just because there were deleted files within his flight simulator program means that is proof?...then by god each of us are guilty...we ALL install and uninstall software all the time....so stupid...law enforcement (homeland security in particular ) need to use some reality and common sense when investigating..rather than knee jerk reactions!!!

alehead
March 22nd, 2014, 07:12
My guess it is Kuala Lumpur International...

though it is a little hard to see, since the picture is a little blurry...

A

airattackimages
March 22nd, 2014, 08:27

but the thought that the pilot with the flight simulator was/is a terrorist just burns me up,does this mean that each and everyone of us are suspects on the world terrorist list?....and just because there were deleted files within his flight simulator program means that is proof?...then by god each of us are guilty...we ALL install and uninstall software all the time....so stupid...law enforcement (homeland security in particular ) need to use some reality and common sense when investigating..rather than knee jerk reactions!!!
I dont think many of us would have to worry about such accusations given the fact that we haven't been in control of any missing 777s ;)

Daveroo
March 22nd, 2014, 14:43
but you missed my point...he was a real world pilot,who had a nice cockpit setup and flew the AC type he flew in the real world...im guessing for practice,not for ditching it and killin himself....my question..is...why do they think he was/is a bad guy just because he had a flight sim....is Bone gonna be accused of wrong doing should (god forbid) he goes down ,killing "innocent" people...i did that word in "..." because there are really bad people walkin up and down my street as i type..meth/coke/pot/guns......and all because Lisa is having a birthday today....that house blows up..because of where i do live..."oh my god,must have been a natural gas leak"....when im pretty sure theres a meth lab in the front bedroom of all places...

airattackimages
March 22nd, 2014, 16:46
I got your point, and it isnt the first time I've heard it said over the past 7 days. They're following every lead and possibility they can. There is reason to suspect terrorist networks have gotten to qualified air crews. He might have had nothing to do with that, but in the meantime everything is scrutinized. If he had gotten on Facebook one day last summer and said "sometimes I just feel like stealing this motha" they would be talking about that too. Nobody knows where a wide body Boeing disappeared too so they have to cover every angle. Hopefully some debris turns up soon visually from a P-3 or P-8.

robert41
March 22nd, 2014, 17:29

I think most people consider Flight Sims as, just a home computer game, nothing else.

robert41
March 22nd, 2014, 17:36
but you missed my point...he was a real world pilot,who had a nice cockpit setup and flew the AC type he flew in the real world...im guessing for practice,not for ditching it and killin himself....my question..is...why do they think he was/is a bad guy just because he had a flight sim....is Bone gonna be accused of wrong doing should (god forbid) he goes down ,killing "innocent" people...i did that word in "..." because there are really bad people walkin up and down my street as i type..meth/coke/pot/guns......and all because Lisa is having a birthday today....that house blows up..because of where i do live..."oh my god,must have been a natural gas leak"....when im pretty sure theres a meth lab in the front bedroom of all places...

They do not. The authorities are checking any and all possibilites. Messages, notes, that sort of thing.

p14u2nv
March 22nd, 2014, 21:49
I was watching the news a few nights ago and the interviewer had three guests on and one an alleged 'aviation expert' and an instructor pilot, as she was referred to, stated that the pilots flight simulation in his home was nothing more than a 'jury rigged bunch of computers and nothing akin to a real simulator.' Her name is Kathleen Bangs. I have tried to get her email and send her my opinion of her snide comments but gave up as she can't be located.

Then I heard, same night but on a different channel, a reporter state that she knows quite a few pilots and none of them have computer simulators in their homes so why did the pilot of the plane that disappeared have one and what exactly did he use it for especially since there were files that had been deleted. What the heck is wrong with these Dilberts? Nothing more than ignorance and utter arrogance I suppose.

So I assume that any one of us who has a personal flight simulator, (and forbid many sims) in our home and deletes ANY sim related files we should nowadays be considered a danger to society.

But then again how serious can any of us really be with a mere 'jury rigged bunch of computers' as opposed to the big boy simulators?

:US-flag:

centuryseries
March 22nd, 2014, 22:44

Theres no evidence currently to suggest he or his colleague aare/were terrorists. Let the investigators make their conclusions before making accusations!

how many times do we try and land aircraft that are too big into small airports? I know I've tried this lots of times! That doesn't make me a terrorist.

SkippyBing
March 22nd, 2014, 23:23
That doesn't make me a terrorist.

That's exactly the sort of thing a terrorist would say!

huub vink
March 23rd, 2014, 02:08
I agree with centuryseries. We should not jump to conclusion just because nobody really knows what happened. When everybody would have been convinced the pilot or any other crew member was a terrorist, I assume this person would not have been on this aircraft.

So far I haven't seen or heard any solid proof. Statements like this could only have been switched on or off by an expert are in most cases not in line with "Murphy's law".

Cheers,
Huub

Dumonceau
March 23rd, 2014, 04:56
I agree with centuryseries. We should not jump to conclusion just because nobody really knows what happened. When everybody would have been convinced the pilot or any other crew member was a terrorist, I assume this person would not have been on this aircraft.

So far I haven't seen or heard any solid proof. Statements like this could only have been switched on or off by an expert are in most cases not in line with "Murphy's law".

Cheers,
Huub

I concur 150%! All evidence to date suggest that this guy, with 18000+ hours in his flightbook was a real professional, dedicated to flying and his job. His colleagues always asked him why he went home to do his job over again.

BTW, that setup of his is pretty impressive!

Dumonceau

Daveroo
March 23rd, 2014, 07:37
i didnt jump into anything on my comments,,i had been watching the "world news" and a Malaysian spokes person was the one who said..."we now are looking at the pilot for wrong doing,we found a sophisticated flight simulator hidden in his home with equipment he could have used to practice his takeover".............so why were my comments jumping to conclusions or jumping the gun in accusations...i just wrote MY feelings about what i heard the "authorities" say. period..

Dumonceau
March 23rd, 2014, 07:59
i didnt jump into anything on my comments,,i had been watching the "world news" and a Malaysian spokes person was the one who said..."we now are looking at the pilot for wrong doing,we found a sophisticated flight simulator hidden in his home with equipment he could have used to practice his takeover".............so why were my comments jumping to conclusions or jumping the gun in accusations...i just wrote MY feelings about what i heard the "authorities" say. period..

Daveroo,

My comments were not intended as criticism on your post at all. If you feel that way, then please accept my most heartfelt appologies.

Dumonceau

sbp
March 24th, 2014, 15:20
IMHO, I think Boeing Aircraft Co. has a lot of splain'n to do. If the, "black boxes", are found, you'll see why.......

SBP

airattackimages
March 24th, 2014, 16:36
As I said, no reason to take offense to it. They're following every lead. MSFS doesn't make you look suspicious. But just like politics, if you are flying a multi million dollar aircraft -- and it disappears without a trace for two weeks -- expect that people will eventually be crawling in and out of your house, looking at every piece of paper, file on your computer, etc. Most air crashes don't involve being inexplicably missing for extended periods of time, so this is new for a lot of folks...

As for the terror link, our government has been on high alert for this sort of thing to happen overseas for some time. There has been chatter over a scenario where employed airline pilots are recruited by terror networks, and muslim nationality is top of the list due to religious reasoning (aka, they are the most likely to want to help other muslim groups). Given the fact that this happened the way it did, it would be dumb as hell NOT to be looking at the pilots and their computers.

That doesn't mean he's a bad guy, and every new find is just proving this was a simple crash. But again, if you have an investigation to do, particularly if it involves any possibility of a terror link -- you LOOK at it. Resume flying FS9 and FSX, nobody thinks you're a bad guy. You weren't flying a plane that disappeared.

heywooood
March 24th, 2014, 17:41
triple 7 has a short history but electrical failures, fires and faulty batteries and battery compartment problems are consistent, no matter what Boeing says

I think the pilots are being unfairly vilified.

I think there was a fire, simultaneous full electrical failure and a lot of smoke in the cabin and cockpit.

no way to radio a distress signal - and as to the transponder..the pilots may not have noticed the power failure if it went in a swift domino style.

everyone is assuming someone switched off the com. and transponder, but that will have to be proven to me...I wont assume the worst in this case

the pilot made an immediate turn in a cockpit filled with smoke and no electrical aids at all, a dark cockpit in the middle of the night and choking on toxic smoke - hand flying a 777 literally in the blind.

I doubt he could even see the whiskey compass.

Its possible some systems were working, the AP for one - if they recognized that and turned with the AP - and then were overcome by fumes that would explain the aircraft remaining in flight till the fuel was gone

heywooood
March 24th, 2014, 17:45
IMHO, I think Boeing Aircraft Co. has a lot of splain'n to do. If the, "black boxes", are found, you'll see why.......

SBP

this is my feeling as well -

airattackimages
March 24th, 2014, 18:09
triple 7 has a short history but electrical failures, fires and faulty batteries and battery compartment problems are consistent, no matter what Boeing says

I think the pilots are being unfairly vilified.

I think there was a fire, simultaneous full electrical failure and a lot of smoke in the cabin and cockpit.

no way to radio a distress signal - and as to the transponder..the pilots may not have noticed the power failure if it went in a swift domino style.

everyone is assuming someone switched off the com. and transponder, but that will have to be proven to me...I wont assume the worst in this case

the pilot made an immediate turn in a cockpit filled with smoke and no electrical aids at all, a dark cockpit in the middle of the night and choking on toxic smoke - hand flying a 777 literally in the blind.

I doubt he could even see the whiskey compass.

Its possible some systems were working, the AP for one - if they recognized that and turned with the AP - and then were overcome by fumes that would explain the aircraft remaining in flight till the fuel was gone
Everything is an assumption at this point, including the scenario you gave. For the record I lean towards agreeing with your scenario, just think it's funny that you dismissed any other assumptions as assumptions then gave your own assumption. ;)

robert41
March 24th, 2014, 18:30

No offense to you Dave.
Just trying to make some sense of everything.
The "facts" seem to change every week.
Here is an interesting article on flight simming. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/23/sunday-review/the-pilots-in-the-basement.html?hp&_r=1

heywooood
March 24th, 2014, 18:38
Everything is an assumption at this point, including the scenario you gave. For the record I lean towards agreeing with your scenario, just think it's funny that you dismissed any other assumptions as assumptions then gave your own assumption. ;)

isn't that what public forums are for? lol

huub vink
March 25th, 2014, 01:46
Dave,

No worries, my comment was to nobody in particular. But I had the feeling that the aircrew and the pilots in particular were already considered guilty even before any proof had been found. Like suddenly now Boeing is considered the main cause for this disaster.

As I said before, I don't think we should jump to conclusion.

Cheers,
Huub

airattackimages
March 25th, 2014, 09:13
isn't that what public forums are for? lol
lol, yes :D

sbp
March 25th, 2014, 10:01
Heywooood,

Same hunch hear. No, "black boxes", yet but a present valuable document is available now. That would be the cargo hold manifest, if not falsified, would certainly add credibility to this theory. (Ref: AirTran DC-9 accident located in the Florida Everglades). AirTran, in like manner as MH370, made turn back to departure airport.....

SBP

airattackimages
March 25th, 2014, 10:08
Heywooood,

Same hunch hear. No, "black boxes", yet but a present valuable document is available now. That would be the cargo hold manifest, if not falsified, would certainly add credibility to this theory. (Ref: AirTran DC-9 accident located in the Florida Everglades). AirTran, in like manner as MH370, made turn back to departure airport.....

SBP
I thought you were already blaming Boeing? Now you're blaming the cargo customers?

:p

sbp
March 25th, 2014, 10:35
Many facet's to this tragic aircraft accident, my friend. Just looking at all sides. At this point, I'm not pinning, "blame", on anyone. In my original post I was expressing my humble opinion.

SBP

airattackimages
March 25th, 2014, 12:16
Why the sudden change of opinion?

SkippyBing
March 25th, 2014, 13:00

Are you sure you don't mean the 787? The 777 has been around almost two decades now and has had, I think, two major accidents one through pilot error at San Francisco and one through fuel freezing at London Heathrow.

heywooood
March 26th, 2014, 11:07
Are you sure you don't mean the 787? The 777 has been around almost two decades now and has had, I think, two major accidents one through pilot error at San Francisco and one through fuel freezing at London Heathrow.

note all incidents referring to smoke in the cockpit/cabin or references to acrid odors and or fires in the cargo holds...if those fires did not start in the holds but could be blamed on the cargo I don't think Boeing would object
http://www.aeroinside.com/incidents/type/b772/boeing-777-200

this is interesting also....
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/12/19/2013-30232/special-conditions-boeing-model-777-200--300-and--300er-series-airplanes-rechargeable-lithium-ion

whenever large mfg's want to cut costs, people end up paying with their lives - just ask GM, Chrysler, Ford and Toyota

SkippyBing
March 26th, 2014, 12:42
note all incidents referring to smoke in the cockpit/cabin or references to acrid odors and or fires in the cargo holds...if those fires did not start in the holds but could be blamed on the cargo I don't think Boeing would object
http://www.aeroinside.com/incidents/type/b772/boeing-777-200

this is interesting also....
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/12/19/2013-30232/special-conditions-boeing-model-777-200--300-and--300er-series-airplanes-rechargeable-lithium-ion

whenever large mfg's want to cut costs, people end up paying with their lives - just ask GM, Chrysler, Ford and Toyota

I'm not convinced, of the 8 incidents that mention fire on that site, 6 were false indications, 1 was a mobile phone/laptop battery fire and 1 was an actual cockpit fire. So that's 1 fire due to the airframe in 18 years of operations, and that one was on the ground at the time.

Of the 7 smoke incidents there was 1 false alarm, 1 steam from the air conditioning being mis-identified, 1 unknown, 2 caused by bearing failure in cooling supply fans, which were both isolated before landing, and 2 in the cockpit, one of which was isolated before landing the other appears to have come from the nose gear bay.

For comparison, the A330-200 which has been around for a similar time period has, on the same database, 1 cabin electrical fire, 1 engine fire, 1 air conditioning malfunction leading to a fire indication and 1 false alarm in the cargo bay, along with 1 smoke in the cockpit incident.

So the A330 has had three times the actual fire incidents and the 777 has had five times the actual smoke incidents. Considering the numbers of both types in operation I'd say that the chance of fire or smoke on either type is statistically very small. Certainly I've seen more actual smoke reported on a mixed fleet of 260 odd helicopters in the last year than on both types of airliner put together and the helicopters are flying a lot less hours. Worryingly the 787 seems to be managing more fires in a year than the 777 has had in 18.