PDA

View Full Version : Hardware question, will it work for me?

Mr.Mugel
March 19th, 2014, 14:59
Hey guys, I recently did a new built of my system, on my laptop, which ran FSX Acc. in DX9 before. I havenīt yet reinstalled FSX, and think about going over to P3D V2. I mainly use FS for the A2A warbirds and their Cessna, as I am more of the systems guy. FSX never ran great, but it worked pretty much okay for me, avoiding bigger cities. I like flying over ORBX England with some of their airports installed, like Shoreham and Goodwood. Most likely I would adept REX into P3D, too.
Never had too much trouble with FSX, but time goes on and some feautures are pretty nice.
My Hardware is an ASUS K53SV notebook, with an Intel Core I5 @2.4Ghz plus Overboost (2.9 IIRC), 2 cores with HT. Graphics is a NVidia GT540m, RAM is 8 GB. Running Win8.1. As equippment I use an X52Pro, Logitech Momo Wheel for the pedals, G35 headset. Monitor is 24", 1920x1200. It runs pretty good for itīs specs, handling BF4 and Assetto Corsa with moderate frames on acceptable settings.

Question is, will it most likely work the same, faster or slower than FSX on such a setup? I am aiming for similar graphics, a bit of anti aliasing should be in, used FXAA in FSX, dynamic shadows would be nice, but I could life without them. Autogen is important too, as I fly pretty low most of the time.

Would be nice, if someone could answer this for me, have done some reading here and there, but havenīt found info about low end systems.

zswobbie1
March 20th, 2014, 00:17
Good luck with that laptop. I have a laptop (3 years old now) very close to that.. i5, Windows 7 4gb ram & the same graphics card.
FS9 runs perfect. FSX ran jerky & I did battle a bit go get things to run smooth. Then I installed Prepar3d v1.4. So much better than FSX which I then dumped. As you know, Prepar3d v2 is now out. I tried to run it on my laptop but it did not run at all as the program need DirectX11!! My laptop is only DX10.1.

So, I am very happy with my FS9 & my P3Dv1.4.

Mr.Mugel
March 20th, 2014, 02:03
Dxdiag shows it as DX 11, so it should be ready for V2, I guess.

zswobbie1
March 20th, 2014, 02:26
Maybe not... In the DXDiag 1st screen - 'System' Tab it may show 'DirectX Version: DirectX11'..
Next to 'Help" at the bottom of the screen, click on 'Run 64-bit DxDiag'
Then click on 'Display 1' tab on top next to the 'System' tab
On the left column -'Drivers' - it must/should say 'DDI Version: 11'. if DX11.
- If it says 10.1 the Prepar3d v2 WILL NOT work, but v1.4 will.
Mine says 10.1 even when the 'System' screen says DirectX11
"sniff, bwaah" :banghead:

n4gix
March 20th, 2014, 07:00
Dxdiag shows it as DX 11, so it should be ready for V2, I guess.
The specs for your graphics states that it supports up to DX11 Shader 5. However, as a mid-range card it is very unlikely to provide enough 'horsepower' to run P3Dv2.1 well.

Given that L-M does offer a very generous 60 day window to request a refund, you certainly won't risk anything more than your time to give it a try... :very_drunk:

Mr.Mugel
March 20th, 2014, 08:29
Didnīt see that refund thing. Will try it than, thanks guys!