PDA

View Full Version : Sanders sea fury's at KAUN.

Daveroo
March 13th, 2014, 20:17
the Sanders family sea fury's at auburn ,the black plane with the red stripe and star is a Yak -11...it has a painting on a big Yak on the cowl these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3Vi93sg03U

Bomber_12th
March 14th, 2014, 07:16
Thanks for posting the video, Dave!

The first Sea Fury (with the five-blade prop, Centaurus engine) is actually owned by Ellsworth Getchell. Mr. Getchell restored the aircraft himself, starting in the 70's I believe, and has owned/flown the aircraft for 30+ years now, and still performs maintenance on the aircraft himself. He used to fly the aircraft around the country quite a bit too - I have photos and memories of seeing the aircraft at an air show or two here in Minnesota in the 90's, as well as at Oshkosh I believe, despite being based out in California. I think many are surprised when they first see/know of this Sea Fury in the U.S., since many I'm sure just figure that all of the Sea Furies flying in the U.S. have to be powered by American engines by now - where in fact, this is one of three Sea Furies flying in the U.S. which are powered by Centaurus engines (more than in any other country, at this time).

Daveroo
March 14th, 2014, 07:22
well ya smartie...i went off the narrative on the video..but ya right on the centaurus engined plane,the Auburn Aiirport,and Nevada county airport trade off everyother year to do a flyin,auburn is this year i believe,"thunder in the sky",but that Sea Fury is at both airports no mater whos turn it is..and it sounds awesome to boot.

Bomber_12th
March 14th, 2014, 07:42
Well Dave, you provided me the opportunity, and I always like sharing the story of this particular Sea Fury and its long-time owner. : ) No matter if it is a Centaurus, or an R-3350, each is a beautiful sound in its own right.

Dave, will you be getting out to the Planes of Fame air show coming up in early May? I'll be flying out there for about a week to catch the show and visit Aero Trader, Fighter Rebuilders, and some of the various warbird museums around the area - I can't wait! One of the cool things about this year's show is that both of the only razorback P-47's flying in the world will be there and flying together (the Planes of Fame's example and the Friedkin family's example "Snafu" (formerly owned by The Fighter Collection, Duxford)).

Daveroo
March 14th, 2014, 12:57
not very likely,my mother has been real sick..and my driver has to take care of her...doesnt look like ill make it to any airshows this season.if i had the cash...id just take the train and then however it took to get from a train station to the airport.."dreamer"