PDA

View Full Version : OT: What's the better SSD

Pepere
March 13th, 2014, 03:46
Any experts on SSD's? The Samsung comes with more hardware and software - but, witch is better overall???

Right now I'm using an SanDisk 250GB as "C" Drive with system and FSX on it, and it is getting full. I also have a second SanDisk 250GB Drive for other programs. Now I would like a 500 to 750 GB SSD for "C" Drive.

SanDisk Extreme II 480 GB SATA 6.0 Gbs 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SDSSDXP-480G-G25 ($319.00)

OR

Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 750GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive MZ-7TE750BW ($369.99)

Bother are at Amazon.com

David

PS: Opinions are greatly appreciated!

srgalahad
March 13th, 2014, 07:13
Any experts on SSD's? The Samsung comes with more hardware and software - but, witch is better overall???

Right now I'm using an SanDisk 250GB as "C" Drive with system and FSX on it, and it is getting full. I also have a second SanDisk 250GB Drive for other programs. Now I would like a 500 to 750 GB SSD for "C" Drive.

David

PS: Opinions are greatly appreciated!

I'm not an expert on SSDs so I can't comment on the relative merits. However, here's an opinion on drive management - get everything off Drive C: that is not OS related or forced there by Windows or is part of the 'basic machine'. You already have a second drive for 'other programs' so obviously your system supports multiple physical drives and you know how to use them. For the last 20 years I've never had a single-drive system (for any longer than it took to install a second drive). Even my latest laptop has two devices. My 5-yr-old desktop (and was my main FS machine) is due for a CPU/MB upgrade but has 4 physical drives (two set up as C:/D: in RAID and two others as below...)
First physical drive -- Drive C: OS, Browser, utilities, a few programs that MUST be on C:; and that second partition (Drive D:) that is now standard for a "Restore".
Second Physical HDD -- Drive E: All other programs, incl FS9 & FSX; Drive F: Data (pics, docs, etc) incl FS files that can be stored separately like scenery, screenshots.
If possible I'll go with a third physical HDD and use that for the data drive exclusively.
Granted, seek times are lower with SSDs but you are still building a storage array with big spaces and therefore big piles to search through, manage, defrag, etc. Failure of secondary drives (hopefully with the programs and data backed up) simply means installing a new drive and reloading it without compromising all the OS and system stuff. Likewise, a failure of the primary drive means an OS restore or re-install but the 'other stuff' is safe and untouched.

...IMHO

(but then I also have an external drive for each computer for backups and long-term storage and each system is connected through a UPS - a lesson learned living in places prone to power-outages)