PDA

View Full Version : Hints on the upcoming Virtavia aircraft?

SeanTK
March 12th, 2014, 13:59
Not asking when...I'm asking "what". Any hints regarding what it could be? Maybe some clues like country of origin, interesting facts, something along those lines.
It sounds like it's due to be released "soon", per Virtavia's Feb 28th posting, and again, not asking when, I'm asking for maybe a hint or two as to "what" it is. :)

http://www.virtavia.com/

StormILM
March 12th, 2014, 15:07
Could be a number of things, on the US/NATO side, E-2, OV-1, HS 748/Andover, Breguet Atlantic, on the Soviet side, the Antonov twins, Beriev.
Personally, I hope for either a E-2 or an Atlantic. We'll see.

ThePlasticMax
March 12th, 2014, 15:18
Could be a number of things, on the US/NATO side, E-2, OV-1, HS 748/Andover, Breguet Atlantic, on the Soviet side, the Antonov twins, Beriev.
Personally, I hope for either a E-2 or an Atlantic. We'll see.

My guess: V-22 (it has two props, it's cold war...

The fairchild cargo planes (C- 82/119/120/123) are also a possibility on the US side.

I'm sure I saw someone was working on a Be-12 somewhere though, whether it was someone at/for Virtavia is another matter.

Sundog
March 12th, 2014, 15:25
I'm hoping for a DHC-5. FYI, the V-22 isn't Cold War. The Cold War was over before the V-22 became operational.

StormILM
March 12th, 2014, 15:31
A DHC-5 would be cool too. Whatever it is, it is a twin turboprop, not a piston according to the news post.

SeanTK
March 12th, 2014, 15:36
Although I would love a Soviet/Russian design like the Be-12, I would be very surprised if anything from that side of the world would be on their plate, just because I don't think it would sell as well as a "Western" type.
Additionally, the cockpit of the Be-12 is quite complex, and I'm not sure how willing Virtavia would be to model something like that. Check out the cockpit pictures below (pages 1 and 2).

http://englishrussia.com/2010/06/19/kachinsky-air-garrison/

Of course, I could happily be wrong!

My personal guess fitting the "Cold War Twin Prop" message posted on their website would be a Fairchild C-123 Provider.

EDIT: The quote on the website does not say turboprop. "Apologies for the lack of activity ! We have been working hard on an all-new Cold War twin-engined prop aircraft for FSX which will be announced in a few days and will be on sale in about a week. In the meantime, the Virtavia Westland Melrin for FS2004 and FSX is now available as freeware ! A VC and 2D panel are included as well as custom sounds. Just head over to the Freeware pages : Virtavia Freeware Site (http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/index.php)"

malibu43
March 12th, 2014, 15:39
P2V?

(to make this post more than 10 characters)

Ian Warren
March 12th, 2014, 17:44
P2V?

(to make this post more than 10 characters)

A clean revamp of the old Alphasim, fingers crossed, pretty - aggressive - quick - and famous :encouragement:

It would require a series off variants and models tho

vora
March 12th, 2014, 18:03
With "twin Prop" and "cold war" I normally think of transports like Transall, Noratlas, Provider, Boxcar, Caribou or Buffalo. Also patrol aircraft like Atlantique or Neptune. Ofc Caribou and Neptune would be a remake.

ColoKent
March 12th, 2014, 18:28
I saw this thread and thought "Hope it's an updated Neptune..."

Daveroo
March 12th, 2014, 18:57
A clean revamp of the old Alphasim, fingers crossed, pretty - aggressive - quick - and famous :encouragement:

It would require a series off variants and models tho

sure would..cant have a proper Neptune with out a airtanker model.....i get to see them (or did?) every summer flying fires here in my neck of the woods,one fire in the canyon just beyond my home,,we had the S2Ts ,AU P3s,Neptune P2Vs,C-130s of Hawkins and Powers,even got to see the RD4Y before it crashed.........awesome day that was...

tommieboy
March 12th, 2014, 19:23
Although I would love a Soviet/Russian design like the Be-12......

YEAH! That is a brutal beast of an aircraft, and it would look pretty cool sitting next to my Virtavia Tu-22 Blinder too!

Tommy

YoYo
March 12th, 2014, 22:27
Pity than not Tu-94, 4 prop...

http://militaryhistorynow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/tupolev-tu-95-bear.jpg

ThinkingManNeil
March 13th, 2014, 05:13
How about the FMA IA 58A Pucara? I know it's not strictly Cold War as in Soviets vs. the West, but it is a twin T-prop of that era with a combat history...and a neat looking aircraft in my books...

N.

Hanimichal
March 13th, 2014, 05:44
Sovietsky ... ?

DarrenL
March 13th, 2014, 06:25
What about the C-36 Commando, used well into and through the cold war period.

ST0RM
March 21st, 2014, 14:30
Since the Feb 28th announcement stating a project reveal and following week being made fore sale, nothing from Virtavia on it.

Any insider news?

Bill Kestell
March 21st, 2014, 14:39
DarrenL ... C-46 Curtiss Commando! (Curtiss Calamity ... The Whale) Yes! Phil, I'd kill for one of these that's native FSX~:dizzy:

SeanTK
March 21st, 2014, 19:03
Hopefully everything's alright with their development team, and it's simply a minor setback from their proposed schedule. Looking forward to seeing whatever they produce next (assuming everything is fine), and hoping we'll hear some sort of news soon.

DarrenL
March 22nd, 2014, 03:45
DarrenL ... C-46 Curtiss Commando! (Curtiss Calamity ... The Whale) Yes! Phil, I'd kill for one of these that's native FSX~:dizzy:

And I just noticed I mistyped it as C-36 above - doh!

mal998
March 22nd, 2014, 11:10
Rest assured, everything and everyone here at Virtavia is just fine. We are busily working on buttoning up the remaining details for our new _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _. :encouragement:

ColoKent
March 22nd, 2014, 11:49
17 letters or spaces, eh?

fairchildprovider

F-82 Twin Mustang

Fairchild Ac-119g

C-119flyingboxcar

Jafo
March 22nd, 2014, 14:50
Pity than not Tu-94, 4 prop...

http://militaryhistorynow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/tupolev-tu-95-bear.jpg

...;)

Chris Sykes
March 23rd, 2014, 01:48
Could be a Percival Pebroke, Short C-23 Sherpa

Geomitrak
March 23rd, 2014, 03:19
C-119flyingboxcar

One can only hope.

ColoKent
March 23rd, 2014, 03:40
Could be a Percival Pebroke, Short C-23 Sherpa

Sherpa is a turboprop, so I doubt that. As for the Pembroke, wouldn't that just be our "luck"? Of course, after the release of the R3Y Tradewind, anything is possible, isn't it?

(Off to think up obscure planes that only had a few examples built, and that have 17-letter names...)

K

mmann
March 23rd, 2014, 06:36
(Off to think up obscure planes that only had a few examples built, and that have 17-letter names...)

K

First we had the "rivet counters"; now we have the "underscore counters". :running:

fsafranek
March 23rd, 2014, 07:09
It's none of the above. But one of you got very close (at least to the basic subject type).
:ernaehrung004:

SeanTK
March 23rd, 2014, 08:53
One final guess from me. Martin P5M Marlin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_P5M_Marlin

mal998
March 23rd, 2014, 09:05
I'm sorry. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted all those blank spaces. In hindsight I guess it was a little sadistic, but I couldn't just ignore all those really good suggestions. And some of those are really good candidates for future releases. A few of my own favorites would include, but not be limited to, the FJ-4B Fury, C-46 Commando (perfect for flying the "Hump"), C-119 Boxcar, C-123, and oh so many more. :biggrin-new:

Just waiting for the final model so we can do some testing.

BTW, one Guess was verrrry close.

Sundog
March 23rd, 2014, 12:07
I was hoping for a Savage, but it had two piston engines and a jet. Either way, I'm sure it's something I'll be looking forward to flying. :)

DarrenL
March 23rd, 2014, 13:02
Rest assured, everything and everyone here at Virtavia is just fine. We are busily working on buttoning up the remaining details for our new _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _. :encouragement:

17 characters?

C-four six Commando

:adoration:

centuryseries
March 24th, 2014, 14:12
It's been announced! Looks cool!

Sundog
March 24th, 2014, 15:23
Finally! (I mean the airplane, not the announcement ;) ). I've wanted one of these for a long type. I'm definitely looking forward to this release.

tommieboy
March 24th, 2014, 16:27
Great!

I was hoping for something along the lines of the Martin Marlin or Beriev Be-12. The Bariev Be-12 has the big advantage of optional land based operations, and may have actually appealed to a wider audience. Can't argue with the rugged Russian looks either. But the Martin Marlin it is......:mixed-smiley-010:

Tommy

Ferry_vO
March 25th, 2014, 12:25
Interesting choice, and a good looking model but I'm not in the market for this one, as it has no interesting history for me. Let's hope they pick up on all the hints for a Flying Boxcar or Provider in these threads!

jojohnson9
March 27th, 2014, 10:56
When will the SP-5B Marlin actually be available to purchase? The Virtavia site shows it under current products. But none of the listed sale sights has it listed.

YoYo
March 27th, 2014, 11:53
Agree! Nice choice!

http://www.virtavia.com/images/sp5b/fullsize/Virtavia_SP-5B_07.jpg http://www.virtavia.com/images/sp5b/fullsize/Virtavia_SP-5B_12.jpg

More: http://www.virtavia.com/gallery_SP-5B.html .

mal998
March 27th, 2014, 12:03
Should be out anytime now.

Bill Kestell
March 27th, 2014, 12:26
I love it ... but it makes me want to say: "Good Night, Mrs. Calabash, Wherever You Are"!
or "HACHA ... CHA".

fsafranek
March 27th, 2014, 12:33
I love it ... but it makes me want to say: "Good Night, Mrs. Calabash, Wherever You Are"!
or "HACHA ... CHA".
Yes, thank you. All along I've been trying to figure out who or what character that nose reminds me of. Jimmy Durante works but I keep seeing some cartoon character also but I can't out a name on it.

Sascha66
March 27th, 2014, 13:55
Yes, thank you. All along I've been trying to figure out who or what character that nose reminds me of. Jimmy Durante works but I keep seeing some cartoon character also but I can't out a name on it.

Elmer Fudd?

andersel
March 27th, 2014, 15:40
How about Eugene The Jeep from "Popeye"?

Bill Kestell
March 27th, 2014, 15:42
Could you possibly be thinking of the dog in the cartoon strip, The Duplex?

andersel
March 27th, 2014, 15:42
Elmer Fudd?

Eugene The Jeep?

andersel
March 27th, 2014, 15:44
Oops! Sorry for the 2 posts

YoYo
March 27th, 2014, 22:40
Will radar operate or its only texture inside?

http://www.virtavia.com/images/sp5b/fullsize/Virtavia_SP-5B_VC05.jpg

Anneke
March 28th, 2014, 01:49
Yoyo look at the pics and description and you probably have your answer that it seems that the radar is just eye candy.

http://www.virtavia.com/gallery_SP-5B.html

jojohnson9
March 28th, 2014, 04:49
Will radar operate or its only texture inside?

http://www.virtavia.com/images/sp5b/fullsize/Virtavia_SP-5B_VC05.jpg
The large center display is not a radar indicator. It is a device that showed the aircraft movement when tracking a submarine. A stylus inside moved against the back of special paper and literally scratched a visible line indicating the planes movements. I don't remember the name or the designation of it...it's been almost fifty years since I had to work on one (SP-2E and P-3B). But I do remember that keeping the stylus properly mounted to the strings that drove it was a real pain. Changing the special paper was easy for some, but I seemed to have a knack for screwing it up.

CG_1976
March 28th, 2014, 10:37
Hum, looks like another purchase to give my alphasim Coastie Goats (HU16) company.

fsafranek
April 3rd, 2014, 08:09
The large center display is not a radar indicator. It is a device that showed the aircraft movement when tracking a submarine. A stylus inside moved against the back of special paper and literally scratched a visible line indicating the planes movements. I don't remember the name or the designation of it...it's been almost fifty years since I had to work on one (SP-2E and P-3B). But I do remember that keeping the stylus properly mounted to the strings that drove it was a real pain. Changing the special paper was easy for some, but I seemed to have a knack for screwing it up.
Thanks for the reply (and hands-on experience remarks). Definitely not a radar screen.

Until we can track an object on the surface or underwater (P3D?) it's just going to stare back at you.