PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Inspector and FSX

Rudyjo
March 8th, 2014, 18:39
Is there something in Nvidia Inspector that would stop the shimmering on planes such as Alabeo's that have a very bright surface? I have a G-Force GTX 560ti, and have Antialiasing on in FSX options. Most of my planes work fine, it's just the highly-polished planes that look like there are millions of LED lights going on and off. I downloaded the lastest Nvidia Inspector, there are about 10 items listed under Antialiasing, I have no idea what any of them mean. Is there anything that should be clicked on or off that might cure the shimmering ?

Roger
March 9th, 2014, 03:57
First do you use Dx10 or 9? Settings are very different for the 2 direct X types.

Rudyjo
March 9th, 2014, 08:17
Roger, I am using Dx9.
Other than Antialiasing, would there be something in Textures that might tone down the brightness?

Peter SWE
March 9th, 2014, 10:14
For me changing the "transparancy supersampling" was the key to get rid of shimmering with the alabeo aircrafts. I've got mine set to 4xsparse supersampling but since every system is different you might need to experiment with different settings.

I'm running DX9 on a gtx 460oc.

Rudyjo
March 9th, 2014, 10:56
Peter; Thank you for the suggestion, I will give it a try.

EDIT: I can't thank you enough Peter, amazing that changing one line would make a huge difference.
The line was set to "OFF/ MULTISAMPLING", I changed it to 4x sparse and can't believe the change.
I may try a different setting to see if it could be even better.
Thank you again, this may help someone else also as many people complain about Alabeo's high shine causing shimmering.

PS. A big difference in the interior textures also, no more shimmering on the white lettering against a black background. I have a new respect for Alabeo now, I always complained about their textures,
For the first time, I now see how good they are.

Paul Anderson
March 9th, 2014, 13:22
For me changing the "transparancy supersampling" was the key to get rid of shimmering with the alabeo aircrafts. I've got mine set to 4xsparse supersampling but since every system is different you might need to experiment with different settings.

I'm running DX9 on a gtx 460oc.

That causes stuttering, flashing, and lower fps on my low end GT430 card, but I did notice the lettering on dash of the Waco was clearer.
Agree that settings I've seen posted do not always work for me, experimenting is the key.
I set that back to default as that is the only plane I have showing any difficulty. (Correction, the Tomahawk has lettering, knob shimmer, as well as dash top, wonder why.)

By the way, based on your screenie, did you know the latest version of NVinspector is 1.9.7.2 (2013)?
If I recall correctly, a little update notice should appear at the bottom of the hardware monitor screen (I've missed it a couple of times in the past, have a shortcut that takes me directly to the profile settings screen).

Rudyjo
March 9th, 2014, 16:45
The Nvidia Inspector I downloaded yesterday was the 1.9.7.2. version. I guess I am lucky that the suggestion from Peter fixed so many problems for me. Now that I have spent about an hour with the new setting, I've found that it not only fixed the Alabeo shimmering on the exterior and interior, but the detail is better on all planes. Two of the things I've found so far: 1. The GPS on all planes is now clear, no more shimmering. 2. I had my water detail set at 2x Medium and had shimmering on the water in the distance, the change to 4x sparse not only removed the shimmering, but I was able to move up the slider all the way to 2x Maximum. This is like getting a whole new computer for FSX. In the ten years I've been on Flight Simulator, I've never seen one change in a setting do so much. I wish I knew about this years ago. Thanks so much Peter.

Geomitrak
March 9th, 2014, 21:27
PS. A big difference in the interior textures also, no more shimmering on the white lettering against a black background. I have a new respect for Alabeo now, I always complained about their textures, For the first time, I now see how good they are.That shimmering with the lettering is a problem in the Alabeo Waco YMF5's VC. Some of the instrument adjustment knobs also have a kind of shimmer when you alter your view to look round the cockpit. Very distracting in what is otherwise a beautiful model. I haven't got NI set up for P3Dv2.1.1 yet, but I hope the info in this thread will help. Something to try in the next couple of days.

Peter SWE
March 10th, 2014, 00:14
:ernaehrung004:I'm glad to be able to help!

Peter; Thank you for the suggestion, I will give it a try.

EDIT: I can't thank you enough Peter, amazing that changing one line would make a huge difference.
The line was set to "OFF/ MULTISAMPLING", I changed it to 4x sparse and can't believe the change.
I may try a different setting to see if it could be even better.
Thank you again, this may help someone else also as many people complain about Alabeo's high shine causing shimmering.

PS. A big difference in the interior textures also, no more shimmering on the white lettering against a black background. I have a new respect for Alabeo now, I always complained about their textures,
For the first time, I now see how good they are.