PDA

View Full Version : more PC questions.

Daveroo
March 6th, 2014, 09:05
im asking this here because the "build" is FSX specific.after talking to a guy from tiger direct,and taking the advice of SOH members in the other thread,the Tiger dir guy showed me a "bare bones kit",its specs are.

Intel Core i7 3770K CPU/GB Intel 7 Series MB/8GB DDR3 1600 Patriot Xtreme Memory/WD Blue 1TB HDD/Kingwin Maximum 750W PSU/Cougar Solution Black Steel Gamer Case BarebonesItem#: B69-1751 | Model#: BX80637I73770K Bundle,

it also says this motherboard can take a second CPU ( i think im reading that bit correctly),i need to add a DVD drive which ive found,as far as a second drive,i found this..

WD WD5000HHTZ VelociRaptor 500GB Workstation Hard Drive - 500GB, SATA 6 Gb/s, 3.5 Inch, 10,000 RPM, 64 MBItem#: TSD-500HHTZ | Model#: WD5000HHTZ

my messed up FSX install on the currant PC is 89.4GB,so at 500 gbs it should handle FSX,i want to use it as the second HD,but ive seen so many things online that says FSX must be installed on the "C" drive..is this true?

seriously ,all im going to have on this PC is,
the OS win vista -32..i already own this,never been installed anywhere...should i up grade to W7 and 64bit?..
CCleaner,Avira anti-virus ( will welcome other anti-virus ideas/suggestions)
Steam/trains 2014/assetto corsia.
and my FSX and needed programs.such as trackIR,plan Gv3.1,FSScrene.
i want FSX and the steam stuff on the 10,000RPM drive...question is...will 750W hold up to the 10,000 rpm?
i will also add two more 4GB memory sticks for 16GB total.

again i welcome input..but im pretty sure this is what i want..i did see at 1000w power supply on Tiger direct...but id add that later if the 750 isnt enough.
Dave

manfredc3
March 6th, 2014, 09:17
Hi Daveroo,

The VelociRaptor is a definite GO!

What graphics card will you be using (Advise a NVidia GTX 670 or higher)

My suggestions:

Change the 1TB blue into a black edition

I would certainly upgrade your OS to W7 64 bit.

The 750W psu is a good choice, just make sure to get a known good brand name one. To often I read about ctd's due to bad quality psu's.

Oh, and ALWAYS install FSX on it's own dedicated drive

ncooper
March 6th, 2014, 09:23
im asking this here because the "build" is FSX specific.after talking to a guy from tiger direct,and taking the advice of SOH members in the other thread,the Tiger dir guy showed me a "bare bones kit",its specs are.

Intel Core i7 3770K CPU/GB Intel 7 Series MB/8GB DDR3 1600 Patriot Xtreme Memory/WD Blue 1TB HDD/Kingwin Maximum 750W PSU/Cougar Solution Black Steel Gamer Case Barebones

Item#: B69-1751 | Model#: BX80637I73770K Bundle,

it also says this motherboard can take a second CPU ( i think im reading that bit correctly),i need to add a DVD drive which ive found,as far as a second drive,i found this..

WD WD5000HHTZ VelociRaptor 500GB Workstation Hard Drive - 500GB, SATA 6 Gb/s, 3.5 Inch, 10,000 RPM, 64 MB

Item#: TSD-500HHTZ | Model#: WD5000HHTZ

my messed up FSX install on the currant PC is 89.4GB,so at 500 gbs it should handle FSX,i want to use it as the second HD,but ive seen so many things online that says FSX must be installed on the "C" drive..is this true?

seriously ,all im going to have on this PC is,
the OS win vista -32..i already own this,never been installed anywhere...should i up grade to W7 and 64bit?..
CCleaner,Avira anti-virus ( will welcome other anti-virus ideas/suggestions)
Steam/trains 2014/assetto corsia.
and my FSX and needed programs.such as trackIR,plan Gv3.1,FSScrene.
i want FSX and the steam stuff on the 10,000RPM drive...question is...will 750W hold up to the 10,000 rpm?
i will also add two more 4GB memory sticks for 16GB total.

again i welcome input..but im pretty sure this is what i want..i did see at 1000w power supply on Tiger direct...but id add that later if the 750 isnt enough.
Dave

Here are a few notes.

MB. Only one CPU on this motherboard.
HDD. You will not need a second drive at all for the use you state.
FSX. You can install FSX wherever you wish.
OS. A 32 bit Windows OS will strangle this system, 64 bit strongly
recommended.
PSU. 750W power supply will be more than you will ever need.
RAM. 8 gb of RAM is more than enough, 4 gb would probably
do and 16 gb is not required at all.
Question. What graphics card?

Regards,
Nick

Daveroo
March 6th, 2014, 09:24
man i hadnt seen that this one didnt have a video card...arrrrg...gonna be over a grand again...back to the drawing board for me...

mjrhealth
March 6th, 2014, 09:25
You would be better off with the I5 4670K its like the 4770K without HT. WIN 7 64 bit is the way to go, it gives windows room to breath as it can use more memory although FSX itself is still limited to 4Gig. FSX is all about CPU speed, but even stock that chip wil do well. Also fast memory 2100 cas 9 if possible. it all helps. FSX dont install sock location, put on a differnt drive. c drive will always be fragmented, and stock location has to many security issues. you dont specify mobo and 8 gig of ram is the norm, no need for more. wit h32 bit its pointless getting more than 4 as OS cant use it.

rvn817j
March 7th, 2014, 05:00
man i hadnt seen that this one didnt have a video card...arrrrg...gonna be over a grand again...back to the drawing board for me...

This item may have already been pointed out to you, but the FSX speed increase you get from it is worth noting again (and again). Get a Solid State Drive (SSD) in addition to a hard drive and install your FSX on the SSD. You can live with a 120G SSD (which are now less than $100), but I would recommend 240G or more. I got a 240G SSD for $125 about a month ago. Along with all the other stuff mentioned you will have a good FSX system.

About the graphics card...I just bought one of these -
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express 3.0 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/Displayport SLI Ready Graphics Card GV-N660OC-2GD

off of amazon for $190 and paired it with my old dual core E8500 (which I have OC'd to 3.6 ghz) on an asus p5n-e sli mother board. Relatively old equipment except for the new graphics card. This rig does not have an SSD because I installed FSX on the rig before SSDs were cost effective. I'm getting 19 -25 FPS with moderate to high settings in FSX (and running the Iris PC-21 which is a frame hog). (All this is running on a Vista 64 bit OS.) Previously I was running SLI'd 8800 GTSs on the rig, was not happy with performance and that is why I got the new graphics card. (I think I paid over $200 for each of those cards when they came out.)

I think my point is that you should be able to get a complete system that will operate FSX well (but not great) for your $1000 budget.

Keep on truckin'. (I 'tweak' from time to time so your mileage may vary!)

Daveroo
March 7th, 2014, 08:27
thanks again to all..im still studying everything you guys have said..and i found a pc today i like for $1010.00,has an I7 at 3.50ghz 8mb intel smart cache LGA1150,8gb ram/GTX500(?) video card with 2gb of onboard ram,600w power supply(this is a free upgrade from a 350w..but i can go to a "750w thermaltake smart series SP-750CBUS 80 plus bronze certified PFC power supply" for an additional $38.00.

the base price is $865.00 and with a few upgrades..like the power supply it goes to just over a grand as i stated up above.

and i have a new question.it has 2.0 USB ,but it doesnt state how many there are...would it be worth an additional $25.00 for an internal 3.0 USB 4-port hub?...im thinking yes..

oh and it has liquid cooling "stock"..but it does ask me if i want to add more fans to the system and also some liquid cooling pack...i have no idea what it is.the pc comes with "Asetek 510LC liquid cooling CPU cooler,and one option -upgrade-is "Corsair Hydro Series H60 high performance 120MM liquid cooling kit" for a $0.00 update ( likes free!"),or for $18.00,a "Asetek 550LC liquid cooling PU cooler" im assuming the 550 is better than the 510?..

i can also add a Vigor iSURF hard disk drive cooling system for $21.00..would that be worth it?
well ?..any ideas on this one?.

Daveroo
March 7th, 2014, 14:29
"bimp" as Clouseau may have said.

Odie
March 9th, 2014, 16:21
Hey Dave, I'd definitely spring for the USB 3.0 ports. The new Falcon PC that I have is plentiful with USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports and given that there
are so many periphials that use USB these days, it couldn't hurt. Now mileage may vary depending on how many USB periphials you plan on
using. For my external back-up drives, the faster the better when backing up large picture/media files. I'd rather have them and not use all of
them than to not have one for the USB 3.0 device you really need to have connected.