PDA

View Full Version : Hot: SBuilderX update

roger-wilco-66
March 5th, 2014, 21:58
Hey,

seems to be that Luis Sá is back and has plans to update the one and only SbuilderX !

See:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/feeling-cranky-about-sbuilderx313.428110/

The possibility of an SBX update really puts me into high gear, I almost lost hope on a new version of this magnificent application.

Cheers,
Mark

rhumbaflappy
March 6th, 2014, 16:32
Hi Mark.

I haven't conversed with Luis in a while, so I was also surprised by his mentioning an updated SBuilderX. He's written me and I can confirm his intent is to update the code to a newer .NET version. He's been installing Visual Studio 2013 on a new computer running Windows 7.

His old code may not be easily recompiled to a newer .NET version. If that is the case, he is thinking of rewriting the code, and may want a team to actually help with the programming. It's a bit early for volunteers, but programmers familiar with .NET 4.0 might encourage him by offering programming support.

Dick

rhumbaflappy
March 7th, 2014, 18:42
Just to clarify:

I don't foresee much in the way of new functions for SBuilderX. I believe Luis' primary intent is to make the program work better with Windows7. It's original code was developed to work with WindowsXP, and there are some issues with some functions in W7. There may also be some changes to allow larger data-sets to be used without crashing or locking up the program. Definitely a 32-bit program, but possibly a 64-bit version if it's not too difficult. A 64-bit version would allow greater memory usage for computers equipped with the 64-bit Windows7... not sure if Luis is going to go that route.

He's not going to open-source the code, but a very few individuals may get a peek at it for consultations with Luis. Hopefully, the end-result will be a bit more polished SBuilderX that plays nicely with Windows7.

Dick

rhumbaflappy
April 21st, 2014, 09:38
Luis has taken some time off from the conversion of SBuilderX to 64-bits... but the good news is there is a working version now that performs as expected. It is a bit faster ( in my opinion ), and certainly uses the memory of a 64-bit system. Larger projects are supported. We hope to have a public beta available soon.

In the future, new enhancements may become available. A KML import has been mentioned.

Dick