PDA

View Full Version : Weeks' "Fantasy of Flight" closing its doors...

ThinkingManNeil
March 4th, 2014, 09:07
Kinda sad to hear that Kermit Weeks has decided to take things in a different direction with Fantasy of Flight (http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=62e1ae8a-a057-4309-b161-afb741387c5e) and is closing it down as a public attraction. I've never been there but I knew it was very popular with fellow aviation enthusiasts. Always thought Kermit was a neat guy. I met him once way back in 1994 when he brought his then still active Mosquito B.35 up to the airshow at the CWH at Hamilton. Hope his new endeavours go well...

N.

Dangerousdave26
March 4th, 2014, 09:17
Dam I was just thinking of going back in the next few months it is a great place to visit.

I knew they had some type of Theme Park Idea going on but did not know how that might affect the current business.

Planning my next trip right now

Daveroo
March 4th, 2014, 14:09
on the flying website it has the date of when it will close...............i supposed its on kermies own website.

Bomber_12th
March 4th, 2014, 15:43
I'm very curious to see what the future evolution/iteration of FOF will look like. I did take note of the comment about how the plan is to open the doors to the public again later this year, but in a limited capacity - for those that just want to see the planes, it sounds like.

Curtis P40
March 4th, 2014, 16:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC4G4E227Ck&feature=youtu.be
?

n4gix
March 5th, 2014, 06:51
That was an interesting, if not terribly informative video. Without explaining just what his "Dream" is, how could anyone possibly answer the final question, "Which would you choose?" :dizzy:

PSULLYKEYS
March 9th, 2014, 10:38
Darn! Should have visited last year when I had the chance. My 2 visits were great. I hope the collection is saved, not to mention the 25 or more projects in the back lot and an unassembled B29 in a wharehouse.:banghead:

Bomber_12th
March 9th, 2014, 11:01
It's kind of terrible if you just read the title and take the news at face value/what you want to believe based on what the title says. Actually read what is being said in more detail. Nothing is being lost, this is only the next required step in continuing through to the evolution of the attraction that Kermit Weeks wants to see built. It can't continue operating as it has been and reach the goals that Weeks has for "FOF" (with limited time to see his dream come to life).

The current hangars at FOF were only ever designed to be restoration facilities, not the home to the attraction itself - it was never intended to be the way it currently is setup. With the moves that will be taking place, these hangars will become what they were intended for. The current word on the street is that more people will be hired for restoring the aircraft in the collection, and more of the aircraft currently in storage will move into an active restoration phase, so we will start to see some of the long-term projects finally receiving attention. Also, work will begin on the new facilities and individual attractions for the future "FOF". Later this year, the doors will be open to the public once again, but it won't be for an "attraction experience" at that time, rather it will allow people like us, who just want to see the planes and are interested in the history of the aircraft, to take a visit (it says the admission fee will also be lower).

Although I've never heard everything Kermit Weeks has planned for "FOF" in one conversation, I have heard bits and pieces over time. For instance, just one aspect that he would like to see at his attraction is a recreation of a 1930's west-coast style Clipper flying boat base, in all of its glory. The Sunderland and all of the other seaplanes in his collection actively operating from the art-deco flying boat base. Weeks has projects currently under restoration all over the world, which are continuing to make progress towards flying - such as a very historic Corsair currently in Australia, a Tempest in England, and here in the U.S., a Fokker D.VII, Boeing 100 (should be flying this year), Boeing F4B, Boeing P-12, Douglas A-26 (which I'll get to see in person in a couple months), Seversky P-35, Sikorsky S-38, etc.

With all of this taking place, I would love to see Kermit Weeks out at some more air shows this season with his aircraft.

Bushpounder
March 9th, 2014, 15:34
I remember when he used to bring his Duck and his Mossie to the Miami Airshow back in the 80's at Opa Locka. Good times, beautiful aircraft. Don