PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Junkers

Moses03
March 3rd, 2014, 08:24
Need some assistance-

Have this photo of a 3-place Junkers floater powered by a Junkers L-1 engine. I think I lifted it from a mid 1920's French aviation magazine.

Can't find reference to it anywhere! Any ideas? Is that a single low wing?

http://i62.tinypic.com/2z3zy2o.jpg

Dev One
March 3rd, 2014, 10:18
My (poor) translation indicates that it was never built & it looks to me as if its just a mock-up without wings or horiz stab.
Keith

lefty
March 3rd, 2014, 10:38
Don't think it was meant to have wings - hydroglisseur is surely a sort of Ekranoplan - it says it was designed to test the L1 engine.

I've scoured Gunter Schmitt's 'Hugo Junkers' which is pretty comprehensive, and not a mention of this project ! In fact the L1 doesn't appear to have been used on very much at all....

Dev One
March 3rd, 2014, 10:48
Looking up 'redans', I think in the context above means the steps in the hull - redans meaning arrow shaped fortifications. So yes it looks as if it was just a test device - a sort of speed boat?
Keith

browngib
March 3rd, 2014, 11:10
Looks like a fore runner of the Heinkel 162 Salamander. Mid wing Jet engine on top, but not an amphibian. First flown in 1945.

Moses03
March 4th, 2014, 06:40
Thanks for the replies. Putting it down as a testbed.

richard B
March 24th, 2014, 01:57
Thanks for the replies. Putting it down as a testbed.

Bonjour.

Thank you a lot for the photo :applause:

I believed this was only a project , but it seems this was a real flying boat design , and was , at least , partially built .
This 3-views can be found in the book "die deutsche Luftfahrt Bd.24 : Hugo Junkers , Pionier der Luftfahrt-seine Flugzeuge" by Wolfgang Wagner, Bernard & Graefe Verlag 1996 .
(a must ! 576pp with more than 1000 il.)
The "Amphibium-Yacht" was designed by the young Ernst Zindel in 1920/1921 . The engine was a Sh-4 (2-seater) or Sh-5 (3-seater) . Nothing is said about an inline engine . Span 11 m ; length 7,4 m .

Cheers

Richard

lefty
March 24th, 2014, 02:20
Great stuff, Richard - that book looks superb. Unfortunately, very expensive here - and I don't speak German !