PDA

View Full Version : MILVIZ - NORTH AMERICAN F-86 SABRE one day sale only 3/2/14

PHo17
March 1st, 2014, 23:48
Milviz Sabre F-86 one day sale here: http://secure.simmarket.com/milviz-north-american-f-86-sabre.phtml

On my screen the price is seen in euros only.

racartron
March 2nd, 2014, 00:07
Not a bad deal. If ya scroll down the left hand tool bar, there is a currency conversion app. It shows the USD price at about $22. However, when the actual price is calculated by your credit card co., it can vary quite a bit. I picked it up in December of 2012 during a big sale for around $18. Nice rendition but I rarely fly it these days. Too fast.

Navy Chief
March 2nd, 2014, 04:02
Just wondering how it compares to the Section 8 model? NC

txnetcop
March 2nd, 2014, 04:29
It depends on how much time you want to spend learning to fly the F-86 realistically. Jan's model is excellent for freeware and allows for a CTRL-E start-up. If you really love fly-by-the-book realism the Milviz F-86 is best.
Ted

MenendezDiego
March 2nd, 2014, 07:57
Best review I've read so far:

"I bought this military airplane to do what I do with military airplanes on FSX, which is: Get on it, fly around, land, and close flight simulator. I don't expect to have to sit trough a tutorial trying to learn how to start up the engines. I expect to, at the very least, have the Ctrl+E option. Unfortunately for me this airplane is too realistic. Many people like extreme realism and this model grants that, which I have nothing against. But this product does not appeal to the rest of the people that don't like extreme realism. I bought this product 5 months ago. I haven't flown it a single time.
To the developers I would like to say that this model seems to be an amazing airplane. They did a fantastic job making it. But the extreme realism has prevented me from enjoying it. I am aware of the "quick start up" procedures explained in the tutorial, but having to sit trough a tutorial right after buying a product which I bought out of a rush of desire to fly it, put me off completely. Perhaps if I learned at least the "quick start up" procedure, which at the time I bought it I did not have time to learn, I would have discovered how fantastic this airplane could have been. Until this day I don't feel like studding the tutorial to fly this airplane. Maybe some day I will do it and my rating and review will change."

Snurdley
March 2nd, 2014, 08:10
I have as much fun just looking at the pilot in Jan's model as flying the thing. Increases the realism immensely. Beautiful work.

ColoKent
March 2nd, 2014, 08:33
...is pretty easy.

1. Plug in start cart
2. Battery to on
3. Throttle out of cutoff to idle
4. Hit the starter
5. Watch it spool up to idle on the RPM gauge
6. Starter to off
7. Unplug start cart
8. Go fly

I hate switch-throwing nightmares in FSX too...this one is not bad in that regard (for the record, the worst I've seen in that regard is the Nemeth Designs CH-53 or Mil-24).

The Section8 bird was great for it's time...Tbe MilViz bird is just as fun...the switchology is minimal

K

Dumonceau
March 2nd, 2014, 08:49
Best review I've read so far:

"I bought this military airplane to do what I do with military airplanes on FSX, which is: Get on it, fly around, land, and close flight simulator. I don't expect to have to sit trough a tutorial trying to learn how to start up the engines. I expect to, at the very least, have the Ctrl+E option. Unfortunately for me this airplane is too realistic. Many people like extreme realism and this model grants that, which I have nothing against. But this product does not appeal to the rest of the people that don't like extreme realism. I bought this product 5 months ago. I haven't flown it a single time.
To the developers I would like to say that this model seems to be an amazing airplane. They did a fantastic job making it. But the extreme realism has prevented me from enjoying it. I am aware of the "quick start up" procedures explained in the tutorial, but having to sit trough a tutorial right after buying a product which I bought out of a rush of desire to fly it, put me off completely. Perhaps if I learned at least the "quick start up" procedure, which at the time I bought it I did not have time to learn, I would have discovered how fantastic this airplane could have been. Until this day I don't feel like studding the tutorial to fly this airplane. Maybe some day I will do it and my rating and review will change."

I concur 150%. Such a shame. Somehow I would like the devs to develop an easy starter option for those of us that like to "Get on it, fly around, land, and close flight simulator". Iris did it with their Vulcan, so I see no reason why it cannot be done to this gorgeous looking bird.

I love every single Milviz addon I bought so far, but this doesn't get any flight time, so IMHO the purchase was (to me) a waste of money in a time where money is far from ubiquitous...

Take care,

Dumonceau

Naruto-kun
March 2nd, 2014, 09:11
a) The startup is so incredibly simple (6 clicks and off you go)
b) You can start, save a flight with the engine running and there after any flight you load will load with the engine running
c) Redirecting Ctrl+E to do things in the proper sequence would have taken more time and effort than would have been worthwhile and
d) there were no switches that didn't fit into future plans (iow Nuke Consent like the F-15E) that could be used in a easier way to start things up and
e) Milviz is NOT IRIS so please don't compare the 2.

The compliment is cool though. "Too realistic" is rare :D

Dumonceau
March 2nd, 2014, 10:19
This about says it all:

Redirecting Ctrl+E to do things in the proper sequence would have taken more time and effort than would have been worthwhile

Milviz have a lot of customers with gorgeous Sabres sitting idly on the runway and money that has left their wallets.

I think the Sabre was the last thing I've ever purchased from them.

Dumonceau

ColoKent
March 2nd, 2014, 11:12
"Milviz have a lot of customers with gorgeous Sabres sitting idly on the runway and money that has left their wallets."

Kind of generalizing, aren't you? YOU and M-D hate having to perform startup steps in FSX, and YOU feel "ripped off" without a Control+E start option-- we got it.

Look with all due respect Dumonceau, crapping all over MilViz in the forum is not going to make them create a "Cntrl+E" start option for you. Learn to count to eight (six, actually), and you too can be flying a gorgeous Sabre...

Advice-- if you don't want to do 6 steps to start, don't buy the ND CH-53 or Mil-24, or your head will REALLY explode...

Cheers, Mate...go crack a good Belgian beer and chill...

Kent

hairyspin
March 2nd, 2014, 12:22
Well, Milviz just got another Sabre customer. I've admired this fabulous piece of work since the pre-release screenshots and I happen to have the readies handy. Thanks for the HU, downloading now! :jump:

edit: got it started too - what a beauty!

FleetingThought
March 2nd, 2014, 12:26
I just picked this up today, and it inspired me (given the sales price) to get the F15E as well.

The F86 is beautiful, and quite simple to start up -- I don't see where people are confused....?!?!

Try memorizing the procedure for the PMDG777 (which I also have down pretty pat, including programming the FMC), now _there_ is a "startup nightmare" -- but that's a big part of the fun!

The F15E is also great; I'm having some weird intermittent hitching with it (the whole thing hitches for a nanosecond periodically -- sound cuts out, etc. -- quite minor, though), but have contacted Milviz about that, and with everything else going on.... it is NOT an issue even if it never gets resolved (I haven't seen mention of it from anyone else on the Milviz forums, so as usual, I have to assume something is hilarious at some subtle level with my FSX installation; some stuff works perfectly, others do weird, mysterious things.... it's FSX, not Candy Crunch, after all).

Just have to fly the right aircraft under the right conditions, they're all extremely impressive.

Starting up the ol' CH-53 is like gambling at Vegas... I think I've got it right and am going to win, then what the heck. I truly wish I could figure out what's wonky there. There must be scientific explanations for everything! I love Nemeth choppers, too, though, have a host of 'em.

miragecy
March 2nd, 2014, 12:30
I don't understand the hassle around realistic start up of this bird. It's very simple and within seconds you have a running engine. Section8 Sabre was the best of its time, I even paid for custom paint jobs, that's how much I liked it. But milviz Sabre is much superior and I enjoy flying it very much. Milviz is a great company, one of the greatest in my book and I look forward for tacpack integration of this bird.

Andy

HansRoaming
March 2nd, 2014, 13:26
It's easy to learn how to start it up, just give it a go. Try the DCS KA-50 for a beast! :)

Would recommend this aircraft and it's just lovely to fly.

Naruto-kun
March 2nd, 2014, 17:18
Lets not get too harsh though please :) . Facts were stated and the fun of this baby is what really matters.

Mach3DS
March 2nd, 2014, 17:23
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however as mentioned previously the startup is so incredibly easy...please dont let the incorrect facts about it being a difficuly airplane to start, keep you from experiencing one of the iconic aircraft of all time. Just as a side note, I rarely have enough time to fly with full up start procedures everytime, so Ctrl-E is very useful for myself as well..but honestly, this airplane takes about 40 seconds to start in full manual operation from cart start to engine start. Most of that time is waiting for the engine to spool up to start RPM.

ColoKent
March 2nd, 2014, 18:07
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however as mentioned previously the startup is so incredibly easy...please dont let the incorrect facts about it being a difficuly airplane to start, keep you from experiencing one of the iconic aircraft of all time. Just as a side note, I rarely have enough time to fly with full up start procedures everytime, so Ctrl-E is very useful for myself as well..but honestly, this airplane takes about 40 seconds to start in full manual operation from cart start to engine start. Most of that time is waiting for the engine to spool up to start RPM.

BINGO, Rick...that's a true statement about spool up taking the longest. It's one of the few startup procedures I have the patience for as well.

Kent

n4gix
March 3rd, 2014, 06:01
I haven't actually looked at the F86 since a few weeks after it was released, as I moved on to my next development project. This thread however prompted me to load it up in FSX just a few minutes ago.

Amazingly enough I remembered the startup sequence and had it started in less than two minutes. Given that my memory is so bad these days that I frequently forget why I got up and went to the kitchen, I'm rather surprised! :biggrin-new:

hairyspin
March 3rd, 2014, 11:24
...Given that my memory is so bad these days that I frequently forget why I got up and went to the kitchen, I'm rather surprised! :biggrin-new:

I'm glad some of it still works, Bill! I find three things happening as I grow older: first I forget things, er ... um ... ...

Dumonceau
March 4th, 2014, 05:49
Thanks to a youtube vid by MenendezDiego I got the bloody thing off the ground!

Dumonceau

ColoKent
March 4th, 2014, 06:13
Good to hear...Mil-24 next?

Dimus
March 4th, 2014, 06:56
Thanks to a youtube vid by MenendezDiego I got the bloody thing off the ground!

Dumonceau

Now the fun will start!

The way this plane flies is incredible. Take her up to over 10000 ft, stall her, kick the rudder and see how she spins and how she recovers using standard method.

We had lots of fun testing this bird. I hope you have more yourself too:

Dumonceau
March 4th, 2014, 07:18
Good to hear...Mil-24 next?

LOL!!! Now that is a bit of a smart*ss remark if you don't mind me saying so.

Mi-24 by Nemeth I presume, Dr. Watson? :biggrin-new: Nah! Don't fly helo's that much. My next endeavor will be accusim stuff. Got the whole week off and feeling confident (about a whole lot of **** to do)

And looking forward to buying the Milviz F-15C and F-4E when they are released!

Dumonceau

mmann
March 4th, 2014, 07:36
My next endeavor will be accusim stuff.

Dumonceau

You're a braver man than I!

Accusim brings too much complication to my lackadaisical approach to flight simulation. :running:

ColoKent
March 4th, 2014, 08:21

Mi-24 by Nemeth I presume, Dr. Watson? :biggrin-new: Nah! Don't fly helo's that much. My next endeavor will be accusim stuff. Got the whole week off and feeling confident (about a whole lot of **** to do)

Dumonceau

Of course it's a smart*ss remark...I LOVE the Sabre, but was reduced to cursing and having to watch the YouTube tutorial anytime I wanted to start the ND Mil-24. The CH-53, I have never really gotten to work right. And I know on both (Mil-24 and CH-53) if I'd build (or use an existing) a checklist, I could do it right every time...However, I (like you also, apparently), am just not into that these days....In my case, it's probably too many hours spent with ICBM checklists both in the sim and the real world: "Read a step, do a step, get a banana...", as we used to say.

Have fun with the F-86! I'm totally with you on the F-4E!!!

Kent

Naruto-kun
March 4th, 2014, 08:28

Dumonceau

Since both of those have nuke consent switches and are more complex to start I think I can justify a lil quickstart setup for you :tongue:

Dumonceau
March 4th, 2014, 09:49
Since both of those have nuke consent switches and are more complex to start I think I can justify a lil quickstart setup for you :tongue:

Baaie dankie!! :biggrin-new: (sorry if my Afrikaans is a bit off)

You cannot imagine how long I've been waiting for a good F-4E/F for FSX. My Cloud9 portover Phantom still gets a lot of mileage!

Dumonceau

Dumonceau
March 4th, 2014, 09:53
Now the fun will start!

The way this plane flies is incredible. Take her up to over 10000 ft, stall her, kick the rudder and see how she spins and how she recovers using standard method.

We had lots of fun testing this bird. I hope you have more yourself too:

Indeed! Once you get her into the air, she's bags of fun! Lot's of things to explore about her!

Naruto-kun
March 4th, 2014, 09:55
OT but seems close enough to me. However even though I am South African my afrikaans is...well...bare minimum. I ming the tails a lot. You been down here at all?

griphos
March 4th, 2014, 10:25
This is always funny to me, complaints about too much realism. I always want to ask what part of "simulation" isn't understood in the label "flight simulator." To each his own, I suppose, and there is certainly no shortage of planes that make few, if any, realistic demands on one's flight sim experience. Can't get 'em too realistic for me, however, at least in terms of operating the actual aircraft. I'm not that big a fan of the new impetus to include pre-flight checks and maintenance. It's a "flight sim" for me, not an "airplane ownership sim." To each his own...

Anyway, I hope many of you picked up this very nice aircraft during the sale. It's a winner, and occupies one of the coveted permanent spots in my FSX hangar.

Dumonceau
March 4th, 2014, 10:46
OT but seems close enough to me. However even though I am South African my afrikaans is...well...bare minimum. I ming the tails a lot. You been down here at all?

No sadly not yet. But I hear it is a stunningly beautiful country. I learned a few words from a SA girl that I dated a couple of years ago. And since my native language is Dutch, which in its 17th century form is actually the basis of Afrikaans, it's not too difficult to comprehend.

Take care,

Dumonceau

hairyspin
March 4th, 2014, 11:38
Some day I've got to read the documentation for FSX... Meantime I'm enjoying this gorgeous bird and I have to say the user manual hits the right tone to my mind - not too dry or overly serious. This may be a simulator but I fly for fun as well as to learn. My hangar now has a permanent bay for the F-86, alongside the Fw190s and Ta152s. And my favourite pterodactyl, the Wyvern. :encouragement:

http://imageshack.com/a/img841/3042/gcqf.jpg