PDA

View Full Version : Question : Real Environment Xtreme + Ultimate Terrain X?

datter
January 20th, 2009, 09:11
Infrequent poster here, just getting back into FSX.

Does anyone know if it would be a problem installing Real Environment Xtreme (http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/) and one of the Ultimate Terrain X (http://www.scenerysolutions.com/) products at the same time?

I've got REX running now and it's gorgeous, but thought about adding some more fancy scenery. What I don't want is to have anything causing conflicts and since the two things mentioned above are both scenery related I thought I'd see if anyone knew if they'd co-exist ok.

Thanks in advance,
datter

IanP
January 20th, 2009, 09:17
UTX doesn't change textures, only coastlines, landclass and linear features such as roads, streams, railways, etc. The two should go together without any difficulty whatsoever.

JimC1702
January 20th, 2009, 09:45
There is no problem using both. As pointed out above, they both do different things. I currently use both. In addition, I would recommend Ground Environment X which will provide much improved ground textures. I also use FSGenesis landclass for the US and Cloud 9 landclass for other areas of the world.

Oh, and don't forget good mesh! I use FSGenesis mesh as well. All these add-ons will transform your FSX experience.

Jim

datter
January 20th, 2009, 10:06
ok, thanks for the info that's good to hear. I have FSX running very smoothly with REX in place and I'm a bit scared to tinker too much and ruin it. :) I'll look into ground environment, but that's where I start wondering... REX does ground textures, so I wouldn't think it would play nicely with anything else that did the same, hence my question about it and Ultimate Terrain.

Lots of things to look into, which is of course half the fun of FS. :P

harleyman
January 20th, 2009, 13:32
Datter....REX does not do ground...

Its is mainly sky textures and then water colors and wave intensity...

I think you may have that confused ..That is why in the other post you question UTX and GEX..All totally different..

All that is the same is REX and ASX (ASX only does sky as far as I know)

datter
January 20th, 2009, 13:57
Yes, your answer in the other thread cleared it all up wonderfully... quoted below for posterity and possible future searches by confused returning people like myself.

REX and ASX are the same..Both do sky textures (clouds)

UTX does things like add all roads , railroads , correct water placement ( rivers ,streams,ponds) nightlighting , etc..(

GEX is Ground..It adds much to just the ground..It places fields ,towns,waterways,shorelines ,into correct place..It add towns and such that FSX left out...

Mesh (like FSGenesis) builds the terrain details , as in elevations for mountaing towns ,and such..Its what all FSX is built on...It makes the sim not so flat and displays mountains in beautiful detail

MyTraffic X add much more traffic and types into the air with more current flight plans and adds traffic where FSX has none... Plus had the abality to control your traffic density better,,,,

OK Now you know..But what to buy you ask..

IMO these are a must have...In order

Mesh...(I like FSGenesis)
UTX
GEX
REX or ASX
MyTraffic X

To me that is the order of all thing that make FSX wonderful :amen:

FAC257
January 20th, 2009, 14:09
ASX is pretty much just a weather conditions generation program and weather reporting utility.

Without the addition of it's other half, XGraphics any of the weather that is generated using ASX will be done using FSX's default weather textures.

ASA which is the new fancier version of ASX has the ability to work with any or all of the outside weather texture type programs like XGraphcs, REX and FEX.

From what I saw using ASA and XGraphics together, I would guess that ASA might also work with GEX. It had no problems at all trying to take control of my XGraphics water, ground and airport textures.

datter
January 20th, 2009, 14:45
gack, the more I read elsewhere the more I come back here with questions.

I don't have the link handy atm, but I read earlier today someone recommending replacing the autogen textures with DXT1 compressed textures as opposed to the DXT5 the sim shipped with (I think I got that right). At any rate, they were recommending swapping out the default autogen textures for more compressed versions. Apparently the visuals were about the same, but the more compressed textures gave a good performance boost. Having said that, I am reading that UTX has a lot of it's own autogen textures? Is is a good idea to recompress this stuff then install UTX, or do you recommend just ignoring all that recompressing of textures business.

Frame rates aren't hurting with FSX+REX at all so it's not a live or die scenario, but the more frames the better of course as long as it's not a) impacting visuals and b) impacting how things like UTX run.

Thanks again, I'm not reading any more about this stuff today. Seriously. :)

harleyman
January 20th, 2009, 14:53
All of these add ons except Traffic X have basically no affect on performance as they mostly rewrite FSX texture files only..

That being said the UTX night lighting can cause a hit if not reduced...

I believe you are refering to cloud textures being compressed ...That is in the REX user interface..

I say start off all default ,see what ya got ,and reduce if needed as necessary...........

When you get to that point , the best knowledge is in the addons read me , or they each have their oun support (mostly at Simforums and Avsim for ASX)

But..Please feel free to post here too as most have and use all these addons and you may get faster responce here....

Now stop reading ..It will drive you nuts...LOL :ernae:

datter
January 20th, 2009, 15:14
I recall recompressing cloud textures in FS9, which was quite awhile ago and the last time I was really into FS at all. This info about recompressing (wish I could find it) was specifically for FSX about autogen stuff. At this point I can't do anything about it anyway as I've no clue where I saw it. :) I'll get UTX etc installed and see where I stand.

Thanks again for your help.

Fortiesboy
January 22nd, 2009, 02:00
I too have found this extremely useful.

" Originally Posted by harleyman
REX and ASX are the same..Both do sky textures (clouds)

UTX does things like add all roads , railroads , correct water placement ( rivers ,streams,ponds) nightlighting , etc..(

GEX is Ground..It adds much to just the ground..It places fields ,towns,waterways,shorelines ,into correct place..It add towns and such that FSX left out...

Mesh (like FSGenesis) builds the terrain details , as in elevations for mountaing towns ,and such..Its what all FSX is built on...It makes the sim not so flat and displays mountains in beautiful detail

MyTraffic X add much more traffic and types into the air with more current flight plans and adds traffic where FSX has none... Plus had the abality to control your traffic density better,,,,

OK Now you know..But what to buy you ask..

IMO these are a must have...In order

Mesh...(I like FSGenesis)
UTX
GEX
REX or ASX
MyTraffic X

To me that is the order of all thing that make FSX wonderful "

I have just loaded FSX on to a new computer. I live in the UK and i have the horizon VFR scenery loaded for England and Wales. Will the loading of the above , in the order given, clash with the VFR scenery of England and Wales?
Is there anyone who is running these add ons with that VFR scenery?

TIA

harleyman
January 22nd, 2009, 02:35
The only one that might is UTX for Europe....

You can get a perfect answer fron the UTX forums on that if no one here uses that combination...

UTX Europe covers these areas...
Countries included: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxemburg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, San Marino, Slovak Republic, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK.

Their suppore forums are here....http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=38

Hope this helps some......