PDA

View Full Version : Fly Navy

jagl04
February 28th, 2014, 12:22
This is acceleration, isnīt it?

Navy Chief
February 28th, 2014, 14:01
It certainly was a cool recruiting poster picture, wasn't it?

Back in the early 70s, another similar poster was advertised, but with a different race car driver, Tom "the Mongoose" McEwen. The supposed race was between McEwen's funny car and a USN F-14. The question? Which was faster, the Tomcat being catapulted from the cats at Pax River (258 ft), or the Mongoose, at a nearby raceway.

I remember the poster well.

And my one and only backseat Tomcat ride was with the pilot who participated in that contest; then Lcdr Curt Dose. NC

strikehawk
February 28th, 2014, 16:27
I grew up seeing those posters, I even had the one jagl04 posted on my bedroom wall. Somewhere in my addled brain is memory of TV commercial the Navy aired of that race between McEwen and that Tomcat. I looked on YouTube for it but it's not there, yet. I'll tell you, even if my dad was not a Sailor when I was growing up, the Navy recruiting commercials I saw over the years really made me want to join. They always had the best themes and most of them at the time were NAVAIR related.

strikehawk
February 28th, 2014, 16:32
Here's probably the best spot the Marines put out back then when the AV-8A was cutting edge.....

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KjUgDU1YGjM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>