PDA

View Full Version : Sibwings AN-2 question

Montie
February 27th, 2014, 05:10
I been looking at the AN-2 for a long time now, but I have not bought it since I can not figure out whether it is a very complex or an "easy" aircraft model. Can anybody shed some light on this? As much as I can gather, it is not an "shift-e" starter...

joe bob
February 27th, 2014, 05:16
It isn't that complex. I believe shift e is available if you need it.

ncooper
February 27th, 2014, 05:26
It is as complex as the real aircraft and will not start using Ctrl+E.
Once started, it is fairly easy to damage the engine.
I has one of the very best VC models available and some extraordinary
flight characteristics.
The exterior model is also superb and there are dozens of top quality
repaints available for it.
It is probably one of the best aircraft models available for FSX but if you
prefer Ctrl+E and go, it may not be for you.

joe bob
February 27th, 2014, 05:37
I believe you can use shift E as long as you flip the master starter switch.
Starting is is half the fun though!

racartron
February 27th, 2014, 06:35
You do have to throw a lot of switches to get her ready to fire up but the sheer joy of listening to the flywheel spin up and the coughing, sputtering and smoke belching create an immersion sensation not seen in any other plane in my hanger and I have hundreds. You can keep her from catching fire by cracking the cowl flaps as soon as she starts. BTW, I do not like manual starters very much at all but this girl -- and the latest C-47 (freeware) -- are definite exceptions. So far I have 97 liveries installed, so a lot of painters out there enjoy her as well.

myles
February 27th, 2014, 14:36
And the switches all make a very satisfying 'clunk'!

Myles

Ian Warren
February 27th, 2014, 17:05
Montie , if you have a saved flight its good to go ... I do prefer the going through the procedure ... some superb UTube vid's are really of help , this one caught my attention simply because it has that old start-up dance ... I raved about it when it was released simply because it is superb ! :encouragement:

Montie
February 28th, 2014, 10:06
Yes, I have been going through them YouTube videos and I think might take the plunge:encouragement:

Ferry_vO
February 28th, 2014, 10:14
As said above, it's a fantastic aircraft, very well made! It is a typical Russian bird, with a few rows of switches you'll need to flick to turn all the systems on. The engine start procedure isn't that difficult, and apparently easier than it is in the real thing, as you'll need several hands to works the starter, primer and several other things all together to get it going.