PDA

View Full Version : Mimo USB screen - anyone using one?

MarkH
February 22nd, 2014, 07:56
I have bought a 7" Mimo USB touchscreen (http://www.mimomonitors.com/products/mimo-720-s), which I had hoped to run my GPS on. I run FSX with a GTX670 using 2D Surround and so far I can't make it work (or in Windowed mode, for that matter). The monitor uses DisplayLink drivers, which evidently support DirectX, but when I enable the USB monitor I find nVidia 2D Surround becomes disabled. I have seen this (http://displaylink.com/support/ticket.php?id=329) on the DisplayLink site which sounds like it might be relevant but I can't really tell.

So is anyone using one of these? And if so, what is your display configuration?

Navy Chief
February 22nd, 2014, 08:54
Been interested in those myself, but waited for costs to go down.....

Obie311
February 22nd, 2014, 09:55
Been interested in those myself, but waited for costs to go down.....

+1 here. Would be interested in knowing the outcome of this issue.

Pepere
February 22nd, 2014, 15:58
Me too. I do use a usb 14" monitor that works good but it is not touchscreen. The "GPS" touchscreen monitor I was going to try would be VGA. I've not done it yet because of cost.

David

MarkH
February 23rd, 2014, 00:41
Me too. I do use a usb 14" monitor that works good but it is not touchscreen.

The touchscreen is a separate device, so your experience may still be relevant. What kind of monitor is yours and does it use DisplayLink drivers? Does it work in full-screen mode? What other displays do you have running?

Thanks.

Pepere
February 25th, 2014, 08:07
The touchscreen is a separate device, so your experience may still be relevant. What kind of monitor is yours and does it use DisplayLink drivers? Does it work in full-screen mode? What other displays do you have running? Thanks. The USB monitor is a "Ienovo" and the driver is what ever windows 7 used as default. I also have a VGA (I-INC) 14 inch monitor and a 23" (Samsung) Main monitor. I can use all monitors under both windows or full. However, I use the USB Monitor with Panel Builder and is kind-a tricky to set up. I have to start FSX with the USB monitor off and once I've Run FSX I can than load the USB Monitor and start Panel Builder. Down side is I cannot mouse click on any of the instruments displayed on the USB monitor or FSX Jumps to Task Bar.. But I don't need to click so it works for me. My 14" VGA I use for panels in FSX (GPS) and can use the mouse because the VGA start with FSX and runs in full or windows mode. Hope I explained it right and clearly. I'm not the best writer in the world. And even thought I'm born and raised in the US English is not my language, in reality I don't have any language I've mastered!!!! David

MarkH
February 25th, 2014, 09:08
The USB monitor is a "Ienovo" and the driver is what ever windows 7 used as default

Thanks. If I understand correctly your USB screen doesn't work in FSX in full-screen mode but you've happened across a way to run an external application on it. The outlook isn't good, nobody's owned up to having this working successfully in FSX. I have packaged mine up and will send it back to Amazon, as I think they'll refund it.

Navy Chief
February 25th, 2014, 09:34
A indirect result of this thread has provided me with a second monitor for only $10! There is an app for Ipads/Ipods/Iphones that allows communication over a network from a PC to these devices; turning them into a monitor! So for the price of an app, I now have a touch screen monitor. Yee haw! Nc

The app is called Air Play. The companion software for the PC is a free download.

MarkH
February 25th, 2014, 10:18
A indirect result of this thread has provided me with a second monitor for only $10! There is an app for Ipads/Ipods/Iphones that allows communication over a network from a PC to these devices; turning them into a monitor! So for the price of an app, I now have a touch screen monitor. Yee haw! Nc

The app is called Air Play. The companion software for the PC is a free download.

Can you be more specific? AirPlay is something built into IOS for streaming from the IOS device to a TV. I found two apps that sound like they might be what you're referring to - 'Air Display2' and 'IDisplay', so is it one of these? They seem to get mixed reviews. It would be good to hear your experience with FSX, including whether what you're using works reliably in full-screen.

JimmyRFR
February 25th, 2014, 11:10
I've looked at the Air Display app, but from what I've heard, the refresh rate is kinda low, so I've never bothered.

I use a Acer 23" touchscreen as a main monitor for FSX all the time, works very well. I was able to remove all the plastic crap and mount it on an adjustable monitor arm. That said, not all switches (or dials) in a VC are very compatible with touchscreens. The only ones that work well are those that are a single left click - on/off toggle switches, buttons, etc. Any controls that use the right mouse button or the mouse wheel are pretty much inaccessible with the touchscreen.

Pepere
March 1st, 2014, 08:09
Thanks. If I understand correctly your USB screen doesn't work in FSX in full-screen mode but you've happened across a way to run an external application on it. The outlook isn't good, nobody's owned up to having this working successfully in FSX. I have packaged mine up and will send it back to Amazon, as I think they'll refund it.

The USB Monitor can work in FSX full screen. It's the Panel builder that cannot. I wish I could get Panel builder to work in full screen, but even on a VGA monitor it will not. The USB monitor is easier to turn on and off, therefore, I use it as apposed to the VGA. I "think" a VGA touch screen should work with FSX but will cost more.

David

PS: Just read JimmyRFR's reply and I guess the GPS would not work on a VGA etc monitor..... Just saved me trying it. (thanks)