PDA

View Full Version : SBD2 Dauntless (Static) by Blood_Hawk23!

Blood_Hawk23
February 1st, 2014, 11:47
So I'm starting on the Dauntless. How would you like the canopy to look?

I'm going to split it so the pilot and gunner can be either open or closed at the same time.

So let me know what you all want.

Till later.
John

Blood_Hawk23
February 4th, 2014, 21:44
The Dauntless is finished. Bub is making the textures. As soon as I have them I'll get it all packaged.

This one is a more strait up conversion. I haven't added any parts to it. I decided to close both canopy's. Why I don't really know. When I Make the non-damageable models I'll change it up a bit.

I'm going to start on the C-47. This one I plan on breaking up more of the damage model then the others. We'll see how it goes.

Blood_Hawk23
February 8th, 2014, 21:01
Finished. All most...

Bub did the texture and they look great. I have to do some work on the model. After taking these pics I noticed the elevators and tail weren't right for the texture. I may just remove them or see if Bub can find the elevators in the textures and alpha them out.

I've already started on the C-47. I'm adding more LODs to that one. It will need it. I might add a ladder to it. not sure yet. Anyone want to do the C-47 textures.

Blood_Hawk23
February 12th, 2014, 11:16
I'm still fighting with the damage model. the textures for the elevator are a PIA. I have alpha channeled them out but still bits are showing. I tried to remap them but its not working. I may have to delete them entirely. I have on test left then I'll do that.

Blood_Hawk23
February 14th, 2014, 01:48
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/soh_ftp/uploads/imageuploads/609313923388235443.jpg
A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Scenery Add-Ons

Description: CFS2 objects- SBD2 Dauntless Static Aircraft
By John P Fortin (Blood_Hawk23)

Here is a static aircraft model of a SBD2 Dauntless bomber. It has multi-LODs, de-mirrored textures and is destroyable.

Excellent textures By Bub. Thank you again.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit SBD2 Dauntless (Static).zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=18166&catid=45)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Worthless
February 14th, 2014, 06:22
Hey, Nice work BH. I see your latest creation, SBD, is now available. Bravo!

Worthless
February 14th, 2014, 06:26
Don't want to forget anybody. And thanks Bub, and Allen too.

Rami
February 14th, 2014, 09:27
Blood_Hawk23,

Many thanks, this is another must for a Pacific install! :wavey:

Blood_Hawk23
February 14th, 2014, 11:11
Many, many, many thanks to Bub for all his work.

I did have to remap the textures and rework the alpha channel a little. The model wasn't ment to be more then a target. So some elements needed fine tuning. It was a matter of making it work with the textures.

One more to go then I'll consider the rest. Maybe the Japanese planes. Open to suggestions.

I hope everyone enjoys them.

Till Later,
John

kelticheart
February 17th, 2014, 02:32
Splendid scenery object!

Thank you Blood_Hawk, Bub and Allen!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Cheers!
KH :ernaehrung004:

kelticheart
February 17th, 2014, 02:37
....One more to go then I'll consider the rest. Maybe the Japanese planes. Open to suggestions.....

Absolutely Japanese planes!

Considering the destruction brought by Allied quite effective air-to-ground attacks, the second half of WWII in the Pacific saw Japanese airbases littered with damaged aircrafts.

I'd go for Zeros, Ki43's, Vals, Kates and Bettys.

Cheers!

Blood_Hawk23
February 17th, 2014, 08:52
Well not to spoil any surprises... Bub is already ahead of me on the textures. I can say we will have some Japanese planes in the future.

bub
February 17th, 2014, 13:28
Hi All,
No surprises here. Here are two static Zeros. The gray one is a rework of the stock texture and the green is one I found in my "archives". Its been there so long I have no idea who did it and when. All I did was to take the numbers off the tail and recolor a few things. If anyone knows whose it is let me know and proper credit will be given.
Thanks,
Bub

Blood_Hawk23
February 17th, 2014, 13:48
Well I still have to make them. Which would the green one represent? I'm not that familiar with Japanese Aircraft.

kelticheart
February 17th, 2014, 23:15
Well I still have to make them. Which would the green one represent? I'm not that familiar with Japanese Aircraft.

Hi, BH!

I believe the green one is still an A6M2b, since she hasn't the individual exhaust stubs around the cowling and the carb intake is still under the cowling. At any rate, stock A6M2 skins will fit the stock A6M5 and viceversa, so the green Zero could be placed in any post-late 1942 PTO scenery representing either an A6M2b, an A6M3b or any A6M5a.

From the A6M3b onwards the front of the prop blades should be painted solid brown with the thin yellow safety strips near the tips. With the addition of guntubes to the wings, she could even be taken for an A6M5b-c or an A6M7.

Cheers!

bub
February 18th, 2014, 06:35
Hi All,
The green Zero, from what I could find out, appears to be from the Konoike Kokuti, 2/44. I'll fix the colors to reflect an earlier and more generic Zero. As for the gray one, I haven't found any thing close. So I'll leave it alone for now. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Bub

bub
February 18th, 2014, 07:50
Hi All,
I fixed the green Zero as to make it more "plain". I made the tail all green and added a generic looking red stripe to the fuselage. Hopefully this will "cover the bases".
Thanks,
Bub

kelticheart
February 18th, 2014, 23:36
Hi All,
I fixed the green Zero as to make it more "plain". I made the tail all green and added a generic looking red stripe to the fuselage. Hopefully this will "cover the bases".
Thanks,
Bub

Great job, Bub!

Expecially the very, very convincing weathering you applied to the repaint.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Cheers!

bub
February 19th, 2014, 04:24
Kelti,
Thank you for the compliment, but I can't take credit for all of it. Most of the weathering was already there. I just added a little and touched it up some. I was never good at weathering. But with all that was there it was nice to have such a "template" to work off of. Maybe some day I'll get the hang of this painting stuff.
Bub

Blood_Hawk23
February 19th, 2014, 10:21
would it be safe to call the grey paint an "early" and the green a "Late" version. I want to do the props as well. so i'm thinking of doing it like that. when did the start using the Green paint. or when did the US first encounter that paint scheme.

I just want to nail down the history.

bobhegf
February 19th, 2014, 11:28
I think around the time the US attacked Guadalcanal. I remember reading an after action report that the Zeros that were encountered were painted green.

kelticheart
February 20th, 2014, 02:31
I think around the time the US attacked Guadalcanal. I remember reading an after action report that the Zeros that were encountered were painted green.

Yes, Japanese aircrafts started getting camouflaged with green paint, too visible from above in their light grey livery, already at the end of 1941.

I remember few years ago our Japanese member Talos2005 writing here that the practice had started at the time of the Pearl Harbour attack. Several torpedo/level bomber carrier squadrons had already painted their Kates green, while some of them attacked Pearl with incomplete paint jobs because there was not enough time and green paint left.

Bombers were camouflaged before fighters, most of the fleet aircrafts were camouflaged with green tops and light grey undersides at the time of the Coral Sea and Midway Battles. At Guadalcanal, 90% of Japanese aircrafts had their green camouflage.

As to the props, early planes had an anti-glare dark brown finish back with a natural metal front. By the end of 1942 all aircrafts were factory-equipped with solid, dark brown propellers. They were all license-built Hamilton Standard props.

BH, I believe "early" and "late" Zeros will be a perfect definition, matching the Pacific War history.

Cheers!