PDA

View Full Version : SPS Dedalo (Ex USS Cabot)

jagl04
February 13th, 2014, 12:29
Testing the FSX version

strikehawk
February 13th, 2014, 15:41
Nice, I remember seeing her in 1980 at Rota, Spain. I was working topside of the USS Saratoga and she cruised past us. My first impression was "look at the baby carrier, it's so cute". Then I remembered just how old she was at the time and that she looked good in spite of her age.

TARPSBird
February 13th, 2014, 17:50
Rota was where I saw her as well, in 1978. She looked to be well maintained and it was nice to see an old straight-deck carrier still in use, even though she was no longer doing tailhook ops. :)

jagl04
February 14th, 2014, 15:14
Rota was where I saw her as well, in 1978. She looked to be well maintained and it was nice to see an old straight-deck carrier still in use, even though she was no longer doing tailhook ops. :)

Several ships of her class were converted in helicopter carriers. The Dedalo became an aircraft carrier again when the Harriers entered in service in the Armada. And it was great to see her sailing, a veteran of the Pacific war that survived the impact of a kamikaze.

jojohnson9
February 14th, 2014, 15:46
I saw her at Rota in 1989. I was then a civilian NAESU rep with VP-26 on deployment to the NAS there. The USS Iowa was in port and her Chiefs Mess invited the VP-26 Chiefs for a tour and lunch. As a retired ATC I was included. The Dedalo was tied up at the next pier. I believe she was not active then. It was not too many months later I seem to remember her arriving in New Orleans to be scrapped. I know some of her old USN crew wanted her preserved.

lazarus
February 15th, 2014, 10:44
:applause::applause::applause: Excellent! You know, 2 years back, when I started to hack out ships; out of desperation to be sure! the number of naval vessels for FSX was a bare handfull. This morning, out of curiosity I checked the size of my ships folder, 11.5 GB, and only 9 of those are payware. I think we might even be past Virtual Sailor and some of the specialized ship sims.

jagl04
February 15th, 2014, 11:42
Many people wanted to preserve the Cabot/Dedalo. Now we donīt have the ship, nor the AV8S Harriers, that were sold to Thailand.