PDA

View Full Version : US Airways flight

dhasdell
January 19th, 2009, 21:04
Here's some good publicity for the flight sim world in general and Just Flight in particular from today's Daily Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/4292991/British-video-game-technology-used-to-reconstruct-emergency-plane-Hudson-River-landing.html).
:wavey:

harleyman
January 20th, 2009, 01:37
Very intresting........:applause:

IanP
January 20th, 2009, 08:14
I actually disagree - and not just because the sim is a lot more capable than they chose to show. You remember all those politicians baying for FS to be banned after the events of 2001? You think they all vanished, or are they all still there, with the same reactionary attitudes and the same hatred of anything they don't understand? If you start recreating aircraft accidents - fatal or otherwise - in the public eye, you're just giving them more ammunition for their agenda.

It's just my opinion, and I'm sure most of you will disagree, but you really shouldn't be reminding the clueless imbeciles (aka politicians) that FS is capable of recreating real-world events in anything vaguely resembling fidelity to real life.

CBris
January 20th, 2009, 10:06
Funnily enough, my first thought on seeing that video was "Tasteless profit making". My second thoughts did follow Ian though... "Uh oh, here we go again - the politicos get their 2001 reminder..."

The video doesn't even look good. Where's Jaggyroad when you need him?

And panic or no panic - I'd have put a nine milly through the speakers... "I bloody well know I'm too low and close to the terrain!" That pilot still did a brilliant job and now he's embarrassed by all the hero worship. :amen:

And yes, I am cynical about all the hoohaw.

srgalahad
January 20th, 2009, 10:27
Ian and Chris, those thoughts ran through my mind as well - and I've made the same point on occasion on other topics. However, I've come to look at it another way.

The world has changed and still is changing. Those who rant and fear-monger are those who don't want (and vitriolically resist) any thought that their little, safe, narrow world might not be rigidly eternal. They have no desire and little ability to adapt, but are allowed to breed and educate. They are the "flatlanders" who expect to drop off the edge of the world, the ones who believed the 'auto-mobile' would destroy humanity, those who put down medicine as 'tampering with life'... and on and on.

The world does evolve and is full of people who have an honest (not morbid) curiosity about how and why things happen. If that video gives them a bit of intelligent knowledge about the arcane science of flight and shows what human ingenuity can produce, to me that far outweighs (and will overcome) the rants of the dinosaurs.

Tacky? simplistic? Hollywood? ...perhaps, but also evidence that technology has the ability to inform and educate in spite of the risk of harm.

Chris, the banner-waving and hero-building does get overdone. At least, in this case it's over someone (actually a "crew") who did act 'heroically' as opposed to fawning over a 'starlet' with great legs or a millionaire sports figure.

Rob