PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: iTunes version 11.1.14

Eoraptor1
February 2nd, 2014, 11:54
BEWARE installing or updating iTunes for Windows to the current version 11.1.14. I unfortunately did so at the end of January and have regretted it ever since. This is not a rant. I've used iTunes for years and have never had a single day's trouble with it, so this has been especially frustrating. Because I've had so little trouble installing or using the software, I tend to install upgrades more or less automatically. Bad move. I had trouble with the initial install, and following Apple's advice, installed manually. Everything seemed to go in properly, except Mobile Device Support, which was galling, because I have no mobile devices to support. Still, I thought I'd be able to do without it, but when I rebooted I immediately got a "MSVCR80.dll missing" error message, and found iTunes completely unusable. Apple advised a complete uninstall, and then a re-install, which I diligently attempted, only to find the aforementioned Mobile Device Support simply refused to be uninstalled. Additional attempts to reinstall would not complete if I offered them every tea leaf in China.

Like a teenaged girl who's been spurned by her boyfriend, I immediately assumed I had done something wrong on the install, only to find on Apple's on forums that lots of people are having this same set of problems with the new release. Some people have "solved" the issue by rolling back it System Restore and using the previous version of iTunes, but I was unable to do this due to all the failed installs, so I'm currently doing without until Apple releases a fix, which I assume they eventually will so people continue buying iTunes cards. There are several "solutions" floating around the internet, but I don't have time to go through them all, what with my own projects and family issues. I don't think I've had my joystick plugged in for about a month now just from being busy, and I know this is my first posting on SOH for about that same period of time, but I wanted to warn my SOH people: exercise caution before installing this new software. There have been problems.

JAMES

Eoraptor1
February 3rd, 2014, 19:40
UPDATE: I did finally get the update to install early this morning, but what a PITA. I have no idea what I did differently from the first time I tried to reinstall, but I did finally massage the program in. I uninstalled everything in my program list that came from Apple except QuickTime and iCloud before re-running iTunes installer. Those two omissions were oversights, but they didn't impede operations. Mobile Device Support did uninstall, but remained in the list of installed programs as if it were still there. I have no idea why this happened.

Here's a link to an examination of the problem, with solutions. Go HERE: How To Fix Msvcr80.dll is Missing or Not Found Errors (iTunes, etc.) (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/msvcr80-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm)

JAMES