PDA

View Full Version : Scanned Photo from 1947 - 1949

jmbiii
January 31st, 2014, 06:43
This is a scan of a slide my father took back after the war while we lived in the American Zone.
I believe it was taken in the Netherlands while we were on a holiday. I vaguely remember going to "Holland".
I recognize the silver planes - C-47, Beech 18, and Cessna Bobcat, but the yellow ones - no.

lefty
January 31st, 2014, 07:09
De Havilland DH82 Tiger Moths are the yellow fellows. Transferred to Holland post-war.

The one at the back has the outsize dorsal fin specified by the Dutch authorities, and constructed by Fokker.

Our very knowledgeable Dutch contributors will be able to give you lots more detail, I'm sure !

jmbiii
January 31st, 2014, 10:01
Cool. The red tail one on the left with "AN" looks like it might be a Stinson L-5.

lefty
January 31st, 2014, 10:38
No - I think it's a Koolhoven FK43 - PH-NAN

Here's its sister -

Ferry_vO
January 31st, 2014, 10:50
And here's another sister (also the only surviving one), shot by me a few years ago in the Louwman car museum. Current whereabouts unknown...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Ferror/Vliegtuigen/IMG_4468.jpg~original (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/Ferror/media/Vliegtuigen/IMG_4468.jpg.html)

These post-war F.K.43's weren't built by Koolhoven as the factory was bombed by the germans in May 1940, but by their pre-war rival Fokker! Because of this they were also known as 'Fokhovens'.

Nice photo by the way, but I can't help you with that triangular yellow tail on the right..

Ferry_vO
January 31st, 2014, 11:08
The silver aircraft are painted in the colours of 'Aero Holland' which operated from 1949 until 1953. They had six Bobcats, six Fokhovens, two DC-3's and one Beech 18.
Their home base was a field called 'Ypenburg', located, southeast of The Hague: http://www.forgottenairfields.com/netherlands/zuid-holland/ypenburg-s864.html
Most likely this is the field in your photo.

A small photo of one of their DC-3's: http://www.avianet.eu/images/3063-2.jpg

jmbiii
January 31st, 2014, 13:48
Wow. Great information. It's really amazing that a picture my dad took 65 years ago can be looked at by people who can identify and provide commentary on just about everything in the picture.
Thanks ! :applouse:

PS: Now does anyone know the name of the pilot in the flightsuit standing at the tail of the Tiger Moth ? :icon_lol:

lefty
January 31st, 2014, 14:01
Nice photo by the way, but I can't help you with that triangular yellow tail on the right..

I'm pretty sure it's one of these, Ferry.....

jmbiii
January 31st, 2014, 16:01
This is the best I can do at the present on enlarging that portion of the photo.

Dev One
January 31st, 2014, 23:04
Notice that the Tiger in the foreground has the anti - spin strakes normal on RAF kites, but with the Dutch enlarged fin one they are not there!
Must have been very difficult to teach spinning with that large fin!
Keith

Ferry_vO
February 1st, 2014, 02:06
I'm pretty sure it's one of these, Ferry.....

Thanks for that photo Mike! You learn something new here every day.. :icon_redface:

huub vink
February 1st, 2014, 03:27
Very nice picture! The airfield is definitely Ypenburg the year is almost certain 1949. (as the large concrete platform was not there yet)

Ferry I'm pretty sure the Koolhoven is still in the Louwman collection and most probably stored in Raamsdonkveer. I have recently visited the Louwman museum in The Hague, but currently it isn't on display. But during my visit I understood that less than 25% of the complete Louwman collection is actually on display.

When Ypenburg was still an Air Force base I was stationed there from 1978 until 1981

Cheers,
Huub

Ferry_vO
February 1st, 2014, 04:19
Ferry I'm pretty sure the Koolhoven is still in the Louwman collection and most probably stored in Raamsdonkveer. I have recently visited the Louwman museum in The Hague, but currently it isn't on display. But during my visit I understood that less than 25% of the complete Louwman collection is actually on display.

I hope it is still in the old building in Raamsdonksveer, but I'm not sure. Shame it is no longer on display! I know the 'Vrienden van het Aviodrome' enquired about obtaining this aircraft a few years ago, but didn't get anywhere.
Let's hope it will end up in an aviation museum some day, where it belongs.

The new museum in The Hague is very impressive; been there twice and I will go again this spring when the have a special exibit of cars with Martini liveries.

huub vink
February 1st, 2014, 04:43
Ferry there is no need for Evert Louman to sell anything and he is an extreme collector. Currently he has "the" Farman and a Bleriot on display which fit better in the part of his collection currently on display. And 2 aircraft in an car museum is already a lot. Mr Louman is often present in his museum to watch the people's reaction on his collection and the way it is displayed.

He is quite approachable, so you can just ask him. The volunteers in the museum are quite knowledgeable as well, so most probably they can answer the question as well.

Cheers,
Huub

Ferry_vO
February 1st, 2014, 14:51
Maybe he doesn't have to sell the Fokhoven, but just lend it to the Aviodrome. I just think it's a shame that one of the few remaining original Koolhoven aircraft is now sitting in a dark hall, gathering dust for no one to see.

As far as I know Louwman bought most of the former Autotron collection from Libema when the museum went bankrupt, so maybe he can now give them something back?

lefty
February 1st, 2014, 23:36
Wow ! That's some museum - just had a look at the website.

The Ferrari section alone must be worth zillions (did you see a Testa Rossa sold for £24m this week?)

I have been thinking about making a trip to the Netherlands for a while - Amsterdam is one of the few European cities I have never visited. Hmmm.....

huub vink
February 2nd, 2014, 00:31
Mike, this link gives an even better idea of the "Louwman collection" http://www.paul-wouters.nl/louwmandenhaag.htm

The museum is really unique! Even my wife was really impressed and she doesn't have anything with cars or aircraft. When you visit it make sure you have lunch or coffee at the "town square" inside the museum.

The Farman (replica) from the Louwman collection has been on display in the Dutch military aviation museum for a very long time. He might do the same with the "Fokhoven" for the Aviodrome. However when I was in his position I would very careful with such an unique aircraft and would most likely not put it on display in a museum is hardly about to keep its (financial) head above the water.

But when I was Evert Louman I would most probably have an aviation museum instead of a car museum :biggrin-new:.

Cheers,
Huub

Ferry_vO
February 2nd, 2014, 01:40
Or (Insert shameless plug here) have a look at these threads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?73987-Silberpfeile&highlight=louwman and http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?78908-Passione-per-il-design-Italiano&highlight=louwman

And if you do decide to come over Mike, I'm sure Huub and myself are willing to give you a guided tour of our more interesting places and museums. :-)