PDA

View Full Version : Plum Island in the winter

Helldiver
January 19th, 2009, 14:30
The winter scenes of Plum Island leaves something to be desired. Here's what it really looks like. There was one lonesome helicopter practicing landings.

mike_cyul
January 19th, 2009, 14:35
There's an idea! - an AI snowplow, which could keep us circling (or waiting on the ground) until the runway is plowed. :)

Mike

Panther_99FS
January 19th, 2009, 15:19
Pretty cool to see the real thing :)

harleyman
January 19th, 2009, 15:34
The winter scenes of Plum Island leaves something to be desired. Here's what it really looks like. There was one lonesome helicopter practicing landings.

I don't see anything doing circuits in your pics...At least the sim has a bird flying....:faint:

They are cool pics........ Thanks for sharing them....

CG_1976
January 19th, 2009, 15:56
Plum Island is a perfect compliment to MoCats scenery. Even more sim fun when using fspassengersx. I fly my caribbean goose there and then to the old hanger in maine.:ernae:

GaryGB
January 19th, 2009, 16:30
Hi Bob:

Nice to see some more pics of the "real" Plum Island!:applause:

In the bottom right picture I can make out what looks to be a nice Lake Amphibian LA4-200 like the one I did a lot of flying in with my colleague.

Not sure, but it looks like it might be an "EP" with a 72 inch prop, and "Batwing" Fillet option on the wings as well!

You made my day... I have great memories of flying in that plane! :ernae:

Can you tell me a bit more about that aircraft, and whether it is based out of Plum Island... or is it from another nearby airport?

PS: Gotta' ask: is there a designated Helipad located there at Plum Island (...and if so, where?)

Thanks!

GaryGB

Francois
January 19th, 2009, 23:51
Great pictures Bob ! :woot:

lifejogger
January 20th, 2009, 04:11
Interesting pictures, makes me cold looking at them. It would be nice if the next flight sim had a way you could add more snow or take it away etc. in specific locations.

Helldiver
January 20th, 2009, 04:28
Typical digital camera, it's batteries don't last long when it's cold. I did get a shot of the Robinson Helicopter but it was too far to show. So I ran out of batteries before I could take all the pictures I wanted. My original intent was to take some inside shots of the Rotating Searchlight which will be on the tower to be built this spring. I guess that GaryB has made the changes in the Plum Island scenery.
Yes that is a Lake Renegade Amphibian and it's normally at Plum Island Airport. It's owner lives on Plum Island. It been completely restored 10hrs SMOH with new paint upholstery and glass cockpit. I've got a lot of pictures of it on my other computer that has a bent motherboard.
Lake Amphibians are plentiful around here since Sanford ME Airport, where they are built, is not far away. There was two of them at Rochester Skyhaven NH Airport, my old hang out.

Helldiver
January 20th, 2009, 04:44
Harleyman, here's a bad picture of the Robinson. As I mentioned he was too far away. No there is no heli pad at Plum Island. Considering the helicopter activity there it isn't a bad idea. Since all the work done there is strictly volunteer, I can't say when it might happen.

CBris
January 20th, 2009, 05:06
You're right about the snow - but even so, you get some nice days - like today - when the weather is just right for a buzz round with an ultralight...

JoeW
January 20th, 2009, 05:45
HD ....... Try Energizer Lithium's. Thet last about 3 times what a copper top does. At least thats what mine does. They cost about twice what a copper top does but they are worth it.

harleyman
January 20th, 2009, 06:35
Harleyman, here's a bad picture of the Robinson. As I mentioned he was too far away. No there is no heli pad at Plum Island. Considering the helicopter activity there it isn't a bad idea. Since all the work done there is strictly volunteer, I can't say when it might happen.

Awsome HD........Thank you for posting that.....Its just to cool to see that in the snow.........:applause::applause:

Cazzie
January 20th, 2009, 06:46
Beautiful photos HD, had to take Mike's latest gift around the island this morn. Brrrr. Actually got a dusting of snow here during the night.

Caz