PDA

View Full Version : Operation Mezzagosto released!

Rami
January 30th, 2014, 02:11

This is my reworked version of the Operation Mezzagosto campaign pack found at the IS4G site, which is now closed. This campaign features a total of seventeen Axis missions, and this new version of the campaign is entirely based on the Pedestal package that I released in 2012.

Because of the amount of ships and aircraft involved, you will need a fairly fast PC to run these missions effectively. If you do not have a reasonably fast computer, you may notice reduced frame rates over land, and over the convoy. In most cases though, once you’re over the water, frame rates should be more than acceptable.

This was one of the projects I have wanted to work on again and update for a long time, and I am quite pleased with the overall results. For those who want the original mission files, I included those as well.

The reason for that is that my goal here was playability, occasionally at the expense of historical accuracy. However, the missions are certainly within the sphere of realism and probability, I assure you. Also, if you read the mission info, some of these raids were massive. Accordingly, these missions have been expanded to include the actual amounts of aircraft involved, because most users of CFS2 have updated their computers, and thereby framerates are not nearly the concern they were in years past.

"Rami"

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Operation Mezzagosto.zip (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?linkid=18105&catid=44)
The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Rami
January 30th, 2014, 02:32
Good morning,

Releasing this campaign and the upload of Achim's revised Italy package also corresponds with other updates. I added two revised layouts for Reggio di Calabria to my MTO scenery support package, and also modified the Tuskegee Airmen campaign, with Devildog's full permission, to the missions which were affected by Achim's Italian revisions. The same is true for my "Beaus in the Sand" campaign.

All other MTO campaign updates simply consisted of a revised "Master" MTO airbase.dat file, to keep things consistent.

I've held the "Mezzagosto" campaign back for some months now in order to give Achim time to finish his modifications without undue pressure.

To me, this campaign represents the high water mark for the Axis in the European, Eastern Front, and Mediterranean theatres following the taking of Tobruk, the push by Axis military forces to El Alamein, and the German thrust toward Stalingrad. Within ten days, the Battle for Stalingrad would begin in earnest, the revival of Malta would lead to a shift of balance in North Africa, which led directly to Montgomery's push from El Alamein back to Tunisia, and within four months, the invasion of Northwest Africa by the Allies.

kelticheart
January 31st, 2014, 01:44
Indefatigable Andrew!

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Thank you for yet this new effort of yours to diffuse history knowledge through the senior sim!

I don't know if many here really understood what you have been doing for a while now. Probably they do not know you are a History Teacher, but I truly think your vocation is quite clear in what you mask as a simple hobby.

Your coverage of some obscure WWII aerial war events through your mission building and your painstaking research of historical accuracy reveal just that. What you do ain't an easy task and I think somehow you should get more recognition for it.

I mean above and beyond just CFS2 and SOH, my friend!

Cheers!
Stef :ernaehrung004:

Rami
January 31st, 2014, 01:49
Stefano,

Thank you. I use CFS2 when I teach World War II to show students what these aircraft looked like and sounded like. In addition, I actually used CFS2 in a article I wrote to the National Teacher's Academy about how computer simulations can enhance student learning.

I enjoy mission building because it allows me to create actual historical events (with some accommodation) that interest me, and keep my writing skills up a little more than giving comments on a student paper, or slogging through a report being sent to the school board.

kelticheart
January 31st, 2014, 02:03
Stefano,

Thank you. I use CFS2 when I teach World War II to show students what these aircraft looked like and sounded like. In addition, I actually used CFS2 in a article I wrote to the National Teacher's Academy about how computer simulations can enhance student learning.

I enjoy mission building because it allows me to create actual historical events (with some accommodation) that interest me, and keep my writing skills up a little more than giving comments on a student paper, or slogging through a report being sent to the school board.

Well....this is something!

You are welcome, congratulations for your bold, far-sighted teaching approach! Most people think of computer simulations as simple games and I'm sure your choice must have raised more than an eyebrow!

Moreover, I am sure your students will have a better idea about what sacrifices were suffered by fighting airmen of all nations during WWII. I recently downloaded a film from YouTube about the story of the 8th USAAF. Although I knew their losses over Germany where huge, I did not know the total number of human losses during WWII among the men of the 8th USAAF exceeded the losses of the US Marine Corp! I always thought that after the Pacific campaign, no Allied corp suffered more losses than the US Marines, evidently I was wrong.

I never took Microsoft's flight sims as games, in fact I learned how to fly real life aircrafts with them. Not only, I too learned some new WWII episodes through your mission works!

Even though I admit I am always so busy tinkering with some new aircraft, that it will take me the rest of me life to experience all of your production! :costumed-smiley-034

Cheers!
Stef :ernaehrung004:

misson
January 31st, 2014, 02:07
Thank you Andrew for these missions, i really appreciate them!

Cheers,

Mario

Rami
January 31st, 2014, 08:24
Thank you Andrew for these missions, i really appreciate them!

Cheers,

Mario

Mario,

You are very welcome. :very_drunk:

highpockets
January 31st, 2014, 10:46
I agree about not ever being able to completely finish ALL of Rami's missions! But I sure enjoy getting into the ones I already have.:jump: I will be adding more, just in case I find time.

I have learned much these last months on this forum from Rami and others with me even being a WWII history nut, especially the A/C.

stuart277
February 4th, 2014, 22:19
Nice work Rami:applause:
Your efforts with research and mission making are very admirable.
School in the US has been up and going for a while (this year), in Australia we have just started the new school year.
I know this because my wife is a teacher and we did and exchange program in BC Canada a long while ago. I wonder if that still goes on?
Cheers
Stuart