PDA

View Full Version : Useless trivia

PRB
January 28th, 2014, 14:42
Those of you who have spent time reading about carrier warfare in the Pacific in WW-II are likely familiar with the name Capt. Miles Browning. As admiral Spruance's Chief of Staff, he was credited, by Walter Lord at least, as the brains behind the US victory at Midway. Other historians have been less kind, but most agree that he was very smart, and extremely difficult to work with, at best. His is an interesting story, and I'm always interested in hearing other historians and shipmate's take on this guy. So I just finished a book about admiral Joe (“Jocko”) Clark, by Clark G. Reynolds, On The Warpath In the Pacific. In this book we learn that Clark and Browning had a run-in before WW-II and didn't like each other, and that Browning was relieved of command of the USS Hornet (CV-12), while Clark, as the task group commander, flew his flag in that ship... We also learn that Miles Browning's grandson is the comedian/actor Chevy Chase! That was worth a “no sh**!” Then I turned the page. As it were.