PDA

View Full Version : Tower Views in FS9

falcon409
October 5th, 2008, 14:09
I don't know if this was a big problem for me back when all I was flying was FS9, but it IS now, lol. I have yet to fly into any airport where the tower view was anywhere within a 2 mile range of the airport. It's as though I'm sitting up on a hill or mountain somewhere watching the airplane come in from a distance.

I've gone into AFCAD and checked quite a few of the ones I fly into and the tower position is correct. . .why doesn't that position transpose to the sim when you're sitting on the airport?

modelr
October 5th, 2008, 14:38
Because in FS9, the tower view remains at the airport you started from, unlike FSX, where it goes to whatever airport is nearest.

falcon409
October 5th, 2008, 14:54
Are you kidding?

Is there any way to correct this inherent stupidity?:banghead:

dogknot
October 5th, 2008, 15:01
In FS8 the tower remained fixed. In FS9 the tower remains in position until you start flying, the tower will stay where it is until you reach a certain distance from it. It then starts "following" you.

It rarely defaults to the actual location of a control tower, if the airport has one. It just picks an arbitrary location 'near' the runway, which may be obstructed by trees, buildings, etc.

The only way I know of changing its position in flight or when returning to FS to a saved flight is via the Map page, where you can drag the tower to a new location.

I have had success after starting FS9, jog its little brain with the default flight, then reposition to the new airport where it usually uses the new tower positioning if it has been set in AFCAD.

Bradburger
October 5th, 2008, 15:03
Post Removed!

P.S. You might want to try FS Autotower.

falcon409
October 5th, 2008, 15:22
Post Removed!

P.S. You might want to try FS Autotower.

Where?

Bradburger
October 5th, 2008, 16:16
Where?

Sorry Falcon, I forgot to post the link for you! :redf:

http://christoph.rosenkeller.org/fs/autower/

Make sure you read the instructions carefully if you want to get the best from it!

Cheers

Paul

dogknot
October 5th, 2008, 16:40
BTW, "modelr" (Don) is correct in that the tower remains fixed to your start point. What I meant is the tower view moves with you as you fly and unfortunately repositions in an arbitrary close position instead of to the new tower.

You can reposition the tower from the map view or reload fresh as I offered in my above post.

Sorry modelr, didn't mean for my post to appear as if I were saying you were wrong. :redf:

Tom Clayton
October 5th, 2008, 17:04
This thing's been around for almost two years and I'm just now hearing about it??? I just installed the dll version and did a quick hop from KGSO to W88 - this thing's a keeper for sure!:applause:

Bradburger
October 5th, 2008, 17:38
BTW, "modelr"

You can reposition the tower from the map view or reload fresh as I offered in my above post.

This is the one feature I really miss in FSX! :censored:

I've looked but can't see a way of moving the tower to where you want it, as you could in FS8 or 9. :banghead:

This thing's been around for almost two years and I'm just now hearing about it??? I just installed the dll version and did a quick hop from KGSO to W88 - this thing's a keeper for sure!:applause:

Indeed, once configured to your liking, it's a superb little utility!

Just make sure you have no duplicate AFCADs of the same airport with alternate tower views, as this will confuse it!

What I've done for some parts of the UK for selected towns, villages or landmarks (such as the London Eye), is to make AFCADs with no runways, comm frequencies etc. but just the tower view. Autotower will switch to them when I'm near them as opposed to the nearest airfield/airport which can still be many miles away.

This is a useful as I find it helps with the blurries (I'm using the JF/Visual Flight Photo Scenery) when switching to external/tower view, and is also handy for navigation when using the GPS, as these places now appear in it! :d

I'm hoping to do all the major towns/cities in the UK at some point.

Cheers

Paul

PHo17
October 5th, 2008, 23:30
I have had success after starting FS9, jog its little brain with the default flight, then reposition to the new airport where it usually uses the new tower positioning if it has been set in AFCAD.

It seems that very rarely the the tower is set at right place or the tower view at right hight in freeware scenerie's afcads. The authors make magnificent towers on the airfield but how come don't put them into the afcads? It would be the easiest part of the thing - even I can do it.

Pekka

Lionheart
October 6th, 2008, 00:49
Just remember though, you can easily go to Map view, (as stated above), and just drag the Tower icon to the location you want. You can even place it in midway points, perhaps even on mountains, just to get some cool views.

There used to be a Fly-By mode or view that you could add to FS9 also. I think it replaces Tower View. Very nice.. I dont remember what it was called and I dont even have it installed anymore. arrghh... I'll have to track it down.

Bill

Felixthreeone
October 6th, 2008, 16:12
This is by far one of the coolest freeware utilities I've seen in some time! I downloaded it yesterday and WOW!! Tons of usefulness.Thanks for pointing it out!

IVANOW
October 7th, 2008, 09:07
Lionheart , Fly-By is in Simviation FS2004 Utilities Page 6 .
There is a new one , Fly By Route . Have not tried it yet .